Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Default Light weight small Vacuum recomendations

Having finally completed the living area renovation (aprt from a few
skirtings and decorative bits) we are looking for a lightweight compact
vacuum. As we have the entire floor area as wood faced boards (Khars)
all animal and rug fluff just accumulates in piles around the place so
massive suction is not required.

Our trusty Henry has had a hard life and keeps falling apart, so is
retired to the carpeted bedrooms/landing

If anyone has come across the dogs danglies WRT what we're after it it
would be great.

I did catch a product being sold on discount.tv or some such thing
called a "Shark - Transformer" at £80 which looks pretty good though I
am wary of not being able to get replacement filters very cheaply.

TIA
Pete
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:30:04 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk"
wrote:

Having finally completed the living area renovation (aprt from a few
skirtings and decorative bits) we are looking for a lightweight compact
vacuum. As we have the entire floor area as wood faced boards (Khars)
all animal and rug fluff just accumulates in piles around the place so
massive suction is not required.

Our trusty Henry has had a hard life and keeps falling apart, so is
retired to the carpeted bedrooms/landing

If anyone has come across the dogs danglies WRT what we're after it it
would be great.

I did catch a product being sold on discount.tv or some such thing
called a "Shark - Transformer" at £80 which looks pretty good though I
am wary of not being able to get replacement filters very cheaply.

You won't get better than a Henry! You can get a new Henry for £78
from Currys.co.uk

We also bought a *small* mains vac identical to the "JML Supervac"
(www.jmldirect.co.uk) for £7 from our local Aldi. Very good for small
jobs such as cleaning the car.

sponix
Rembrandt Kuipers

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Having finally completed the living area renovation (aprt from a few
skirtings and decorative bits) we are looking for a lightweight compact
vacuum. As we have the entire floor area as wood faced boards (Khars)
all animal and rug fluff just accumulates in piles around the place so
massive suction is not required.

Our trusty Henry has had a hard life and keeps falling apart, so is
retired to the carpeted bedrooms/landing

If anyone has come across the dogs danglies WRT what we're after it it
would be great.

I did catch a product being sold on discount.tv or some such thing
called a "Shark - Transformer" at £80 which looks pretty good though I
am wary of not being able to get replacement filters very cheaply.

TIA
Pete

We bought Miele S571 that works well. It was a best buy in Which? and
cost less than the option you suggest. The filters might not be as cheap
as you would like, and the capacity is not huge.

Rem
Owain

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Having finally completed the living area renovation (aprt from a few
skirtings and decorative bits) we are looking for a lightweight compact
vacuum. As we have the entire floor area as wood faced boards (Khars)
all animal and rug fluff just accumulates in piles around the place so
massive suction is not required.

I forget what they are called, but one of those really big vee-shaped
moppy brushes used by commercial cleaners for dusting floors would
probably be cheaper, lighter and definately quieter than a vac.

Then Henry could have the occasional trip downstairs so he doesn't feel
unloved in retirement.

Owain

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

--s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:

You won't get better than a Henry! You can get a new Henry for £78
from Currys.co.uk

I know, but we don't need the super suction etc though I did buy 100
bags at cost-co for him (James actually) so we have plenty to be going
on with. It's really something small and thin like a a mini-upright
kind of thing that can be hung on the wall in the corner taking up
minimal space.

We also bought a *small* mains vac identical to the "JML Supervac"
(www.jmldirect.co.uk) for £7 from our local Aldi. Very good for small
jobs such as cleaning the car.

We have one of those rubish 4.8v "dustbuster" type things that won't
even suck up a spider!
I told her they were crap!

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Rembrandt Kuipers wrote:

We bought Miele S571 that works well. It was a best buy in Which? and
cost less than the option you suggest. The filters might not be as cheap
as you would like, and the capacity is not huge.

I suppose we could go balistically extravagant and get one of them
robo-vac things like "Kaercher RC3000 RO Vacuum Cleaner" that cleans
then finds it's way home to re-charge and empty before setting off
again, though at £1200 from Amazon I'd be a tad upset when our dog tried
to kill it like he does the regular vacuum!

But what an extreme household appliance. Bet no-one knows anyone that
has one.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Owain

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
It's really something small and thin like a a mini-upright
kind of thing that can be hung on the wall in the corner taking up
minimal space.

The Electrolux Z161D is a lightweight mains vac, Z166A is a mains stick
vac that converts to hand-held.

http://www.electrolux.co.uk/node35.asp?ProdId=14318

http://www.electrolux.co.uk/node35.asp?ProdID=14317

Owain

John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

If anyone has come across the dogs danglies WRT what we're after it it
would be great.

How about one of the "Roomba" robotic vacuum thingies - about the size
of a dinner plate. They just wander round the room vacuuming when
required, recharging etc when needed. About 200 quid IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rod

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in news:wi4Me.89458
:

Having finally completed the living area renovation (aprt from a few
skirtings and decorative bits) we are looking for a lightweight compact
vacuum. As we have the entire floor area as wood faced boards (Khars)
all animal and rug fluff just accumulates in piles around the place so
massive suction is not required.

Our trusty Henry has had a hard life and keeps falling apart, so is
retired to the carpeted bedrooms/landing

If anyone has come across the dogs danglies WRT what we're after it it
would be great.

Have you looked at the Miele Art or their The Alternative? We were looking
a little while ago with similar thoughts. However, we couldn't decide if
either of these was any good at all!

Sorry no proper URL - have to navigate from
http://www.miele.co.uk/

At the very least you just might amuse yourself with the Art Quicktime
movie. :-)

At the end of it, neither of us were convinced. It seems possible that they
will both disappear without trace - making bags, parts, etc. either
difficult to obtain or, at the least, expensive. And the cleaners
themselves are not given away. (The Art are on eBay at more reasonable
price levels.) Hence, we are still looking as well. Really, we just want
something that is easier, quicker and lighter than the full-size Miele
cylinder. Cordless would be really convenient - but I am deeply sceptical.

--
Rod