Harry Bloomfield

Default Lawn mower drive problem?

We have one of those four wheeled four stroke mowers, with the rear
wheels powered - except the drive to the wheels has almost declined to
nothing. It can turn the wheels when they are clear of the ground, but
not under load.

The drive is taken off engine, just above the rotary cutting blade, via
a small V belt. The belt is successfully driving the little gearbox on
the rear wheels and the hand operated 'drive lever' is operating the
arm on the gearbox. I have also tried taking up slack in the cable
which operates the arm. So the problem is obviously in the gearbox
thingummy.

I assume there is some sort of clutch inside the 'gearbox' and it is
this which is slipping(?). Before I attempt it, has anyone pulled one
of these apart and sucessfully repaired one?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

mrcheerful

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
We have one of those four wheeled four stroke mowers, with the rear wheels
powered - except the drive to the wheels has almost declined to nothing.
It can turn the wheels when they are clear of the ground, but not under
load.

The drive is taken off engine, just above the rotary cutting blade, via a
small V belt. The belt is successfully driving the little gearbox on the
rear wheels and the hand operated 'drive lever' is operating the arm on
the gearbox. I have also tried taking up slack in the cable which operates
the arm. So the problem is obviously in the gearbox thingummy.

I assume there is some sort of clutch inside the 'gearbox' and it is this
which is slipping(?). Before I attempt it, has anyone pulled one of these
apart and sucessfully repaired one?

My mower has a sort of belleville washer clutch (curved face washer) I had
to shim it up to reduce the play to get it to work better. Yours MIGHT be
like this.

mrcheerful

Harry Bloomfield

mrcheerful
. laid this down on his screen :
[...]

Thanks for that, I didn't want to try removing the gearbox cover to
find bits flying out all over the place.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Lawn mower and diesel? [email protected] Home Repair 17 April 7th 21 10:39 AM
lawn mower knocks Choreboy Home Repair 5 August 10th 05 10:11 AM
Lawn mower poor start. Spark plug new, old one works good. lbbss Home Repair 17 July 17th 05 06:19 PM
Walk-Behind, Self Propelled, Lawn Mower Questions Re Toro & Craftsman ? Robert11 Home Repair 10 April 12th 05 07:27 AM
lawn mower stalls unless I tip it! meirman Home Repair 4 November 15th 04 10:13 PM