steven holmes

Default window sills

Can anyone give me some advice on how to repair a rotten window sill
"corner" on a timber conservatory.
I have had to cut out the whole corner and it looks a complete mess
regards
Sherlock

steven holmes wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on how to repair a rotten window sill
"corner" on a timber conservatory.
I have had to cut out the whole corner and it looks a complete mess
regards
Sherlock

There are various resin based repair methods. One that has been the
subject of discussion over on Period Property UK forum recently is from
Window Care Anglia
http://www.wincareang.co.uk/
Read the thread at
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...ad=48663#48663

Stuart Noble

steven holmes wrote:

Can anyone give me some advice on how to repair a rotten window sill
"corner" on a timber conservatory.
I have had to cut out the whole corner and it looks a complete mess
regards
Sherlock

There are various resin based repair methods. One that has been the
subject of discussion over on Period Property UK forum recently is from
Window Care Anglia
http://www.wincareang.co.uk/
Read the thread at
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...ad=48663#48663

I've repaired plenty of exterior woodwork with car body filler, which
you can either buy cheaply from any car paint trade counter, or pay the
earth for if it's marketed as 2 part wood filler.
Works best if you nail strips of wood to the existing structure as a
former and smear them with vaseline or similar as a release agent. Stick
a few long screws in as reinforcement on sills etc. Sculpt it with a
knife or chisel before it hardens completely to leave as little sanding
as possible. Not unlike dentistry really.
I use scraps of hardboard to mix and apply, so you can dump the whole
thing after every application. Trying to re-use anything always proves a
waste of time for me.
Bear in mind that the more you mix up, the more heat it generates and
the faster it hardens, so damned near impossible stuff to work with on a
hot day. Thin layers always take much longer to harden, but always do
eventually.