Chris Bacon

Default Cleaning "antique pine" kitchen units.

Job to do - clean "antique pine" kitchen units. These are
in a house occupied by a "lady" who seems to like cooking
things in oil. The electrics are dreadful, & I don't fancy
touching anything until it's cleaned. I mentioned cleaning,
& she asked why - I wiped some Bounty over it and it came
off horrid & greasy. This stuff is AFAIK factory sprayed
crap. What to clean it with? White spirit?
Badger

Chris Bacon wrote:
Job to do - clean "antique pine" kitchen units. These are
in a house occupied by a "lady" who seems to like cooking
things in oil. The electrics are dreadful, & I don't fancy
touching anything until it's cleaned. I mentioned cleaning,
& she asked why - I wiped some Bounty over it and it came
off horrid & greasy. This stuff is AFAIK factory sprayed
crap. What to clean it with? White spirit?

Commercial flash or similar
Chris Bacon

Badger wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Job to do - clean "antique pine" kitchen units. These are
in a house occupied by a "lady" who seems to like cooking
things in oil. The electrics are dreadful, & I don't fancy
touching anything until it's cleaned. I mentioned cleaning,
& she asked why - I wiped some Bounty over it and it came
off horrid & greasy. This stuff is AFAIK factory sprayed
crap.

I re-open this to add that the cupboard doors are "factory
sprayed crap", sprayed with clear coating, not that they've
been factory sprayed with fat.

What to clean it with? White spirit?

Commercial flash or similar

Don't want to lift the original finish... is that studd OK?
Stuart Noble

Chris Bacon wrote:
Job to do - clean "antique pine" kitchen units. These are
in a house occupied by a "lady" who seems to like cooking
things in oil. The electrics are dreadful, & I don't fancy
touching anything until it's cleaned. I mentioned cleaning,
& she asked why - I wiped some Bounty over it and it came
off horrid & greasy. This stuff is AFAIK factory sprayed
crap. What to clean it with? White spirit?

Yes. Shouldn't affect the factory finish.
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:

Job to do - clean "antique pine" kitchen units. These are
in a house occupied by a "lady" who seems to like cooking
things in oil. The electrics are dreadful, & I don't fancy
touching anything until it's cleaned. I mentioned cleaning,
& she asked why - I wiped some Bounty over it and it came
off horrid & greasy. This stuff is AFAIK factory sprayed
crap. What to clean it with? White spirit?

Dilute bleach or caustic.

If its not varnished. Well even if it is...then you can paint over the
ghastly stuff afterwards.

sugar soap