"Soft Close" Kitchen door/drawer buffers

Old July 24th 05, 01:34 AM
[email protected]

Default "Soft Close" Kitchen door/drawer buffers

Hi just bought a Hygena kitchen from MFI. But wanted cupboards and
doors that have soft close (ie close gentle and can't be
slammed)-unfortunately MFI don't offer it on Hygena range.

Has anyone used the B and Q "Premium Door Buffers" and are they any
good?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...RODID=184 665

They look like a cheaper version of another product called Blumotion.

Also could anyone tell me how easy they are to fit to a kitchen after
it has been installed?

Many Thanks in advance,
FJ

Old July 24th 05, 09:59 AM
Andy Hall

On 23 Jul 2005 17:34:54 -0700, wrote:

Hi just bought a Hygena kitchen from MFI. But wanted cupboards and
doors that have soft close (ie close gentle and can't be
slammed)-unfortunately MFI don't offer it on Hygena range.

Has anyone used the B and Q "Premium Door Buffers" and are they any
good?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...RODID=184 665

They look like a cheaper version of another product called Blumotion.

Also could anyone tell me how easy they are to fit to a kitchen after
it has been installed?

Many Thanks in advance,
FJ

I've used them for some cupboards in my office (which use kitchen door
type hinges) and they are fine.

Probably on the B&Q carcases the screws that come with them will fit
into the holes normally used for shelf pegs.

On an arbitrary cupboard, you may have to drill holes. IIRC, I used a
5mm drill with a depth stop.

An easy job

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Old July 24th 05, 10:21 AM
Mark A

Andy Hall wrote:

Probably on the B&Q carcases the screws that come with them will fit
into the holes normally used for shelf pegs.

No, they're made to fit into the holes that would have been used by the
hinge mounts if you'd hung the door on the other side. Quite a nice bit
of design, really, and pretty unB&Q like. Oh, and they work quite well,
too. Though they won't overcome the force of you, say, slamming the
cupboard. But in normal use do the job perfectly.

Regards

Mark
Old July 24th 05, 02:30 PM
Stuart Noble

Mark A wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Probably on the B&Q carcases the screws that come with them will fit
into the holes normally used for shelf pegs.

No, they're made to fit into the holes that would have been used by the
hinge mounts if you'd hung the door on the other side. Quite a nice bit
of design, really, and pretty unB&Q like. Oh, and they work quite well,
too. Though they won't overcome the force of you, say, slamming the
cupboard. But in normal use do the job perfectly.

Regards

Mark

I thought they were bloody brilliant, and I couldn't make a door slam
whatever I did. Not quite so good on drawers where there's no spring
applying pressure but well worth the extra dosh. Is there more than one
type? These were the premium type I think.
Old July 24th 05, 02:40 PM
Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:30:24 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Mark A wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Probably on the B&Q carcases the screws that come with them will fit
into the holes normally used for shelf pegs.

No, they're made to fit into the holes that would have been used by the
hinge mounts if you'd hung the door on the other side. Quite a nice bit
of design, really, and pretty unB&Q like. Oh, and they work quite well,
too. Though they won't overcome the force of you, say, slamming the
cupboard. But in normal use do the job perfectly.

Regards

Mark

I thought they were bloody brilliant, and I couldn't make a door slam
whatever I did. Not quite so good on drawers where there's no spring
applying pressure but well worth the extra dosh. Is there more than one
type? These were the premium type I think.

There are drawer slide mechanisms that have an arrangement where part
of it drops down or is pulled by a nylon cam as the drawer nears the
closed position. The soft close things work OK with these.

Old July 25th 05, 03:58 PM
Christian McArdle

Has anyone used the B and Q "Premium Door Buffers" and are they any
good?

I have used B&Q buffers on my MFI Hygena kitchen. They are excellent.

Also could anyone tell me how easy they are to fit to a kitchen after
it has been installed?

On the cupboard doors, they fitted simply by screwing into existing unused
hinge holes without further drilling. Clearly kitchen carcasses are
sufficiently standardised to allow this.

On the drawers, I drilled my own holes into the side of the carcass using a
5mm bit (from memory - check size). This was easy and effective. It was also
less intrusive than following the instructions and drilling into the top of
the carcass, where it would be more visible and interfere with the drawer
contents during closure/opening.

Christian.

Old July 25th 05, 04:00 PM
Christian McArdle

Is there more than one type? These were the premium type I think.

My understanding is that the non-premium type consist of sticky backed
rubber rings from the chocolate teapot school of design.

Christian.