Junior Member

Default DIY Log Splitter

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy. So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator. Instructions and ideas please.
Grunff

justme wrote:
I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

Easiest and cheapest thing would be to use a bottle jack, like:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110251

In fact, I have a spare one which you'd be welcome to have if you
collect it (mid Devon).

Make sure the frame is sturdy - 2" box section would be my choice.

--
Grunff
raden

In message , justme
writes

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

I'd use an axe - much more fun

--
geoff
Pete C

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:01:14 +0100, justme
wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

Hi,

Have you tried a maul? :

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=maul&btnG=Search+Froogle

cheers,
Pete.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , justme
writes

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

I'd use an axe - much more fun

Or a ... oh heck, it's gone. I'll have to ask Spouse :-(((

Mary

--
geoff

justme wrote:
I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

Why a log splitter? Why not put whole logs in, and infill (or underfill
or behindfill I spose) with scrap wood?

NT

Clint Sharp

In message , justme
writes

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

Not sure about the travel you'd need but I'd look at a cheap bottle
jack, if the travel isn't good enough then look out for a tail lift off
the back of a truck. Be aware that hydraulic fluid is not nice stuff and
if there's a possibility of a leaky joint or pipe then forcing fluid
into it at hydraulic pressures is probably the best way to make it show
itself and make a nasty mess.

--
justme

--
Clint Sharp
Tim Lamb

In message , Rob Morley
writes
In article , "justme"
says...

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

Why not just use a big bottle jack? That way you don't have to worry
about the plumbing.

The old saying about getting warm twice when burning logs is very apt.
Particularly if you consider the number of *pumps* to move a bottle jack
several inches.

Log splitters you envisage are available commercially and intended to be
run off the external hydraulic service on tractors. (around 3000psi and
at least 15l/min)

There is also a screw version driven by the power take off (540r/m and
2/3rds tractor horse power)

You might find a redundant hydraulic power pack from some form of
manufacturing industry. The last one I saw was used to supply the
oscillating table motion on a grinding m/c.

Bear in mind that pump losses will heat up the oil so you need a fair
sized sump. You will need a double acting ram. The rod needs to be sized
for bending loads.

In the absence of Elm, most firewood splits easily. I have 5 tractors
with suitable hydraulics and still use an axe to split logs.

try www.fuelwood.co.uk

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself,

Northern Tools sell them fairly cheaply. Powered-pump splitters are
expensive (because the pumps are), hand-pumped splitters are cheap.

Or you could make your own, with a bottle jack (Machine Mart or
similar), some simple steel angle and a stick welder.

If you want a powered splitter, look for a cheap or S/H pump and ram
(try a farm & plant auction).

Personally I prefer a good steel wedge and a maul. There are few tasks
so simple, yet so satisfying, as a good bit of log splitting. Painting
faces on the end may help, or even photocopied portraits of Robert
Kilroy-Silk. Personally autographed Jeffrey Archers are even better.

Mark

justme wrote in message

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

Are you any good at welding?
http://tinyurl.com/bgxan

If not
http://tinyurl.com/besng
or
http://tinyurl.com/8z48m

-

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I use a proper splitting axe (or maul as previosly posted) on the
larger processed lumps from above supllier. One whack and all but the
toughest succumbs. Very statisfying and a damn site quicker and
probably less effort than manually operating a hydraulic pump.

I remember.... as a lad.... I think it were on "Tomorrows World" with
Raymond Baxter or a later line up perhaps Judith Hann or somone.. anyway
the product invented was a log-splitting axe that did the hard work
for you.

In the head of the axe was a pair of cams which as they entered the
wood, were opened outwards by the friction of the log, thus providing a
much greater outwards force than the natural wedge action of the head,
and also reducing contact friction between head and log, so giving a
much greater blah blah blah.

Seemed to work brilliantly (on TV) anyone else remember them or am I
going mad again?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

Seemed to work brilliantly (on TV) anyone else remember them or am I
going mad again?

After a little delving, my sanity has survived !
The "Chopper" made now for 20 years
http://www.chopperaxe.com/whatis.htm

bloody brilliant !

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Rob Morley

In article , "Steve
Firth" says...
justme wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself,

Take a piece of steel, shape it into a wedge. Make at least two of them.
Buy a sledgehammer. Hammer wedges into log.

Buy a maul and a wedge - use the maul as an axe for easier logs, and
to hammer the wedge for the tricky ones.
John Rumm

Steve Firth wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself,

Take a piece of steel, shape it into a wedge. Make at least two of them.
Buy a sledgehammer. Hammer wedges into log.

Or get a "grenade":

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...rchstr=grenade

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick

wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself, they are too expensive to buy.
So what I need is a frame with a steel plate at one end which the log
rests on, and an V shaped steel plate at the other end driven by an
hydraulic ram, 4 ton or more ought to do it.

But I know little to nothing about hydraulics. I need some help...

What do you suggest I get the ram off? (in a scrap yard) and how would
I then set it up to be mechanically pumped by the operator.
Instructions and ideas please.

While searching the web for something the other day, I found an
electric log splitter for 100 quid ish. I can't find it right now.

Unless you have something to run the hydrolics off, its gonna be
expensive to make one thats any more than a bottle jack. Just the cost
of the hoses and connectors will run the bill up.

I have some log splitting wedges, that I wack in with a sledge hammer,
they are good at this type of work.

You may find that you can hire in a log splitter for a weekend once a
year, and do all the job with a big machine.

Rick

Mary Fisher

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

The old saying about getting warm twice when burning logs is very apt.

I've never heard that but it did remind me that when we cut down an aspen
and used the timber (after it had dried before anyone says it) we were
warmer whiile and after chopping it than we were sitting in front of the
wood burning stove.

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:24:54 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk"
wrote:

After a little delving, my sanity has survived !
The "Chopper" made now for 20 years
http://www.chopperaxe.com/whatis.htm

They're of limited benefit - and they go back to the 19th century.

On dry ash they're great . On most green timber, they're not. You need
to have a timber that splits easily when pulled apart, and that's strong
enough to be pulled apart from the top edge. On most timber you just
can't sink the head deep enough and the cams ust spliter the top surface
out a bit.

The best thing for splitting timber is a splitting axe, not a felling
axe. A big wide edged head, not a narrow one.
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:47:52 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Take a piece of steel, shape it into a wedge. Make at least two of them.

You're better off buying them (although not from Northern Tools). It's a
tricky piece of smithing to make a good log splitting wedge. They take
an awful pounding at the back and you don't want them splitting, nor do
you want them too soft.

If you have some, railway line makes good wedges (manganese steel).
I've got as set here that were supposedly made of armour plate from HMS
Nelson (broken in Newport) and have certainly lasted pretty well.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

Seemed to work brilliantly (on TV) anyone else remember them or am I
going mad again?

After a little delving, my sanity has survived !
The "Chopper" made now for 20 years
http://www.chopperaxe.com/whatis.htm

bloody brilliant !

So where can one buy one in the UK?

--
Chris Green

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Splitting, by definition, is dividing something into two.

Sorry Mary, but you started the pedant sub-thread!

My dictionary has "breaking/dividing something into two *two or more
parts*" (including hairs!)

Which dictionary? And is that an exact quote?

It's wrong.

It's right when splitting is dividing something between people, e.g.
splitting the proceeds. But splitting logs is different.

--
Mike Barnes
AlexW

John Rumm wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

I'd like to make a log splitter myself,

Take a piece of steel, shape it into a wedge. Make at least two of them.
Buy a sledgehammer. Hammer wedges into log.

Or get a "grenade":

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...rchstr=grenade

Had these things recommended to be by a tree surgeon but had not got
around to tracking a supplier down ...

Cheers,

Alex.
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

So where can one buy one in the UK?

No idea. try dropping them a line on the contact add. from the web-site

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Bob Mannix

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Splitting, by definition, is dividing something into two.

Sorry Mary, but you started the pedant sub-thread!

My dictionary has "breaking/dividing something into two *two or more
parts*" (including hairs!)

Which dictionary? And is that an exact quote?

Some cheapo one (the only one to hand). No it was a small part of the
definition.

It's wrong.

It's right when splitting is dividing something between people, e.g.
splitting the proceeds. But splitting logs is different.

Only by convention yes. If one were to build a hydraulic log splitter with a
tricorn blade you, presumably, would refuse to call the output split logs
even though they were indistinguishable from other split logs?

Bob Mannix

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Bob Mannix wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
d...
In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Splitting, by definition, is dividing something into two.

Sorry Mary, but you started the pedant sub-thread!

My dictionary has "breaking/dividing something into two *two or more
parts*" (including hairs!)

Which dictionary? And is that an exact quote?

Some cheapo one (the only one to hand). No it was a small part of the
definition.

It's wrong.

It's right when splitting is dividing something between people, e.g.
splitting the proceeds. But splitting logs is different.

Only by convention yes.

Only by convention? What else is there?

If one were to build a hydraulic log splitter with a
tricorn blade you, presumably, would refuse to call the output split logs
even though they were indistinguishable from other split logs?

You're welcome to presume what you like, but we were actually talking of
the verb "split", which is not the same as the adjective "split".

And ISTM quite likely that your device viewed in slow motion would
separate into two twice rather than into three once.

--
Mike Barnes
Bob Mannix

In uk.d-i-y, Bob Mannix wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
id...
In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
[...]

Oh poo! I would say, while in action, it was splitting them. Only an
inveterate hair splitter would say otherwise

And ISTM quite likely that your device viewed in slow motion would
separate into two twice rather than into three once.

Nah! There would be four pieces in that case )

Times up, must split.

Bob Mannix

--
Mike Barnes

TS Splitter Ray Woodworking 10 July 21st 05 08:06 AM
Cheap and Effective Splitter Leon Woodworking 12 April 22nd 04 06:03 AM
WWII touching Biesemeyer Splitter !!!!!!!! lwwise Woodworking 14 December 23rd 03 08:52 PM
Cable TV Splitter Signal Strength New Question Home Repair 6 September 8th 03 11:12 PM
Home made splitter - Spring Loaded? Michael Wagner Woodworking 2 July 16th 03 10:01 PM