Junior Member

Default Germany to uk plug rewiring...

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind) however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?
Bob Eager

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:57:05 UTC, drky
wrote:

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

If it's the flat type (similar to the ones on, say, electric razors) you
can also get permanent adaptors; basically a 13 amp plug(top) that
takes the plug, then you tightne the cover down and it all locks into
place. CPC do them.

:::Jerry::::

"drky" wrote in message

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop

will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Basically, if you need to ask such a basic question, no - best get
someone who knows how to wire a plug to show you....

Mike Harrison

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:57:05 +0100, drky wrote:

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

It will probably have one of 3 types of standard mains connectors (IEC, figure-8 and another that
looks like a 3-way figure-8) that go into the PSU - UK style leads are readily and cheaply available
for at least 2 of them.

raden

In message , drky
writes

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Ich glaube schon

Although, if it's not a pikey laptop, it will prolly come with a mains
cable which plugs into the PSU, and you could just buy a new cable

Or ... you can get UK plug adapters which fit over the European plug and
convert them. Quite a lot of kit comes with these adapters nowadays

--
geoff

Gel

Yes; simple

DJC

Mike Harrison wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:57:05 +0100, drky wrote:

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

It will probably have one of 3 types of standard mains connectors (IEC, figure-8 and another that
looks like a 3-way figure-8) that go into the PSU - UK style leads are readily and cheaply available
for at least 2 of them.

Maplin do all three types: IEC, fig 8, and clover leaf.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Christian McArdle

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Buy a new cable. It's safer and you'll still have the euro plug.

Christian.

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"drky" wrote in message

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Basically, if you need to ask such a basic question, no - best get
someone who knows how to wire a plug to show you....

it does seem a worrying question... think I'll second Jerrys
suggestion, get someone to show you how to do it.

NT

Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by drky
Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind) however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?
yes, just no earth

mini din type DC power plug wanted can't trace it [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 June 12th 05 07:02 AM
220v Plug End Replacement for Equipment DL Woodworking 40 April 24th 05 08:56 AM
Plug advice Corey Woodworking 9 October 31st 04 11:50 PM
Burke Millrite Spindle Bearings Access Plug Dennis van Dam Metalworking 22 August 3rd 04 06:32 AM
Plug Strips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 13 August 30th 03 06:08 AM