Washing machine belt tension

Old June 29th 05, 09:56 AM
Chris

Default Washing machine belt tension

Just managed to source a replacement belt for my Hoover washing machine,
and was wondering how tight it needs to be fitted?

When fitted, how far should I be able to move the belt in and out at a
point half way between the pulleys, or is it just a case of tight as
possible?

Cheers

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
Old June 29th 05, 10:15 AM
Andrew Gabriel

Chris writes:
Just managed to source a replacement belt for my Hoover washing machine,
and was wondering how tight it needs to be fitted?

When fitted, how far should I be able to move the belt in and out at a
point half way between the pulleys,

Rule of thumb for alternator belts it about half an inch.
If you get any slip, tighten it up a bit more.

or is it just a case of tight as possible?

No -- that will more rapidly wear the motor bearings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old June 29th 05, 09:12 PM
Chris

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just managed to source a replacement belt for my Hoover washing machine,
and was wondering how tight it needs to be fitted?

When fitted, how far should I be able to move the belt in and out at a
point half way between the pulleys,

Rule of thumb for alternator belts it about half an inch.
If you get any slip, tighten it up a bit more.

or is it just a case of tight as possible?

No -- that will more rapidly wear the motor bearings.

Thanks Andrew - I didn't think 'tight as possible' was a good idea, but
wasn't sure what to aim for.

Cheers

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
Old June 29th 05, 09:59 PM
fred

Chris writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just managed to source a replacement belt for my Hoover washing machine,
and was wondering how tight it needs to be fitted?

When fitted, how far should I be able to move the belt in and out at a
point half way between the pulleys,

Rule of thumb for alternator belts it about half an inch.
If you get any slip, tighten it up a bit more.

or is it just a case of tight as possible?

No -- that will more rapidly wear the motor bearings.

Thanks Andrew - I didn't think 'tight as possible' was a good idea, but
wasn't sure what to aim for.

I've never been any good at guessing the tension of V-belts - is that 10mm
or is that 15? The tip I got was that you can judge the tension by the
amount you can rotate the belt, IIRC if you can rotate it by about
90degrees then it was about right. Only works for V-belts tho.
--
fred