Fred

Default Scaffolding

Hello

I need to paint the rendering on my house again. I have two areas where
access is a problem. One is over a conservatory and the other is a very high
(~32') roof line on one side - the house is built on a slope and the damp
course is about 8' above ground level on that side.

Last time I painted (before the conservatory) I used a long ladder.
Unfortunately, there is an unmoveable fence on the high side of the house
leaving only about 5' between the fence and the house - meaning the ladder
was at a decidedly unsafe angle.

I'm thinking about using scaffolding or some sort of tower arrangement this
time round and wondered if anyone had any experience of these. How high can
the preassembled towers reach and are they reasonably easy to use? I'm
assuming that erecting traditional scaffolding is a skilled job that has to
be done by professionals? How long does it take to scaffold one (high) side
of a house and how much will I need to budget for?

Our conservatory is a traditional (i.e. uPVC!) construction with triple
layer (acrylic?) plastic panels in the roof. Is it possible to plank these
over and walk on them? If not, then how easy is it to span a 15' wide
conservatory with an access platform - are there special purpose solutions
to this problem?

Finally, any advice on painting (preparation + application method) rough
textured rendering would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Fred

BigWallop

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

This is where long poles and paint rollers come in to play. You can
actually hire the tools for this job quite cheaply, and they make life so
much easier. All you need is access to a height where you can see the job,
not actually be close to the job. You can then roll the paint on with ease.

For the little fiddly bits you get a brush that fixes to the end of the long
pole. This is dipped and worked along the edges before the roller comes in
and finishes the large spaces. Easy, and safer.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:
This is where long poles and paint rollers come in to play. You can
actually hire the tools for this job quite cheaply, and they make life so
much easier. All you need is access to a height where you can see the job,
not actually be close to the job. You can then roll the paint on with ease.

Be warned they send paint spray everywhere -- you'll want to cover
the conservatory, and also anything horizontally away from the area.
I noticed my nice new black gutter pipes are now speckled, stangely
the same colour as a neighbour painted the end wall of his house,
and these must be 15' away, horizontally.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ian_m

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:
This is where long poles and paint rollers come in to play. You can
actually hire the tools for this job quite cheaply, and they make life so
much easier. All you need is access to a height where you can see the
job,
not actually be close to the job. You can then roll the paint on with
ease.

Be warned they send paint spray everywhere -- you'll want to cover
the conservatory, and also anything horizontally away from the area.
I noticed my nice new black gutter pipes are now speckled, stangely
the same colour as a neighbour painted the end wall of his house,
and these must be 15' away, horizontally.

My neighbour had a scaffolding tower arrangement that spanned his
conservatory, basically two towers and a "walkway" inbetween braced to the
towers. The decorators/gutter/soffit replacement/repair was all done that
way. No idea of cost though.

Doctor D

Our conservatory is a traditional (i.e. uPVC!) construction with triple
layer (acrylic?) plastic panels in the roof. Is it possible to plank these
over and walk on them? If not, then how easy is it to span a 15' wide
conservatory with an access platform - are there special purpose solutions
to this problem?

I walked on our conservatory using planks and props inside.
The chap who installed cavity wall insulation did the same.

Tim Mitchell

In article , Fred
writes
[...]

If you can spread the load across 2 roof beams, then it is OK to stand
on. I don't think you should stand on the roof panels themselves. I made
a little roof platform which I could put on ours for gutter access when
required.

re scaffolding, you can definitely get 30ft with a tower. If you hire
one, the hire place will normally deliver it and put it up for you.
--
Tim Mitchell
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Fred wrote:
I'm thinking about using scaffolding or some sort of tower arrangement
this time round and wondered if anyone had any experience of these. How
high can the preassembled towers reach and are they reasonably easy to
use? I'm assuming that erecting traditional scaffolding is a skilled job
that has to be done by professionals? How long does it take to scaffold
one (high) side of a house and how much will I need to budget for?

I had scaffolding erected to cover a small conservatory (approx 3x3 metre)
to allow easy access to the two windows above it - the top one of which is
very large, although partially accessible from the roof terrace. And to
allow painting of the soffit above that. Also to protect the rather
expensive glass roof of the conservatory.

Cost in London was 200 quid.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Fred wrote:

Finally, any advice on painting (preparation + application method) rough
textured rendering would be appreciated.

Having rendered the new gable end of my house last year, I was quite
pleased with the match in styles of rough cast render... that was right
up until I had to paint the b*stard!

The problem I found with a roller was getting enough pressure on it to
get into all the little holes in the surface - especially if using it on
a pole. In the end I found that one of the 4" wide small rollers
designed for painting behind radiators worked best - faster than a
brush, and also good at painting behind downpipes. For the bits where I
needed a brush, I found cutting down a masonry brush to about half its
usual bristle length helped make it that much stiffer, which is good for
getting into the render.

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher

Fred wrote:

[...]

Scaffolding is not that expesnive top hire. A team of three can put up a
couple of towers in half a day and take it down even quicker. Id say a
few hundred notes will cover it. And it really makes things so much
easier...
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Scaffolding is not that expesnive top hire. A team of three can put up a
couple of towers in half a day and take it down even quicker. Id say a
few hundred notes will cover it. And it really makes things so much
easier...

Yup - ladders above about 10 ft or so are a no no for me. A tower you'd
probably spend as much time building and moving as using - even if it
could be erected where needed.

Scaffolding feels safe - even to a coward like me.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Fred

Thanks for all the helpful replies - much appreciated.

I'm not too keen on the idea of using long poles since the last time I
painted our (very rough textured) rendering I found it hard to work the
paint into the surface with a normal roller and brush. I doubt I'd get
enough force via a long pole - plus you need to attack from all angles. I'm
also concerned about splashes and spray - that was a real pain last time and
poles would probably make that worse.

Scaffolding sounds like the answer but I was imagining a very high cost -
sounds like I should get some quotes.

Thanks again.

Fred

andy:p

We've got scaffolding up now. Just waiting for the shade before I start
working again.

The scaffolding covers the rear and side, all the way up the top of the
roof. It does make it very easy. The cost is about =A3300 for a
considerable length of time. The front of the house was completed 2
years ago in the same way. I wouldn't do it any other way now.

Andy

Rick

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:44:08 +0000 (UTC), "Fred"
wrote:

[...]

I'd look at hiring a cherry picker, probably cheeper than scaffolding
the whole house.

Rick

Scaffolding Price Hamie UK diy 11 May 19th 05 01:07 PM
CHIMNEY BUILD Neil UK diy 10 April 21st 05 08:42 PM
Satellite dish, scaffolding issue DavidD UK diy 9 January 19th 05 11:08 PM
Source for scaffolding towers? Lobster UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 07:09 PM
constructing a wooden scaffold Frank Shute Woodworking 23 June 18th 04 12:43 AM