sandra.finch

Default Heating but no hot water

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a problem which has recently
befallen me. I suddenly can't get any hot water in my taps unless the
heating has been on. Is it connected to the fact that I had a very noisy
actuator motor for a couple of months and now I don't hear it at all?

If any one can offer an explanation and, even better, a solution I would be
very grateful.

Sandra

From the brief description it sounds like yours is a 2-port zone valve

that does heating or (heating+water)? The symptom would be consistent
with this.

It could be either the actuator that has gone (often a problem when the
winding is constantly energised, it eventually burns out). On the
other hand the valve might have furred up and the actuator has finally
given up trying to shift it.

Sounds like the problem I just had (see posting elsewhere). A new
actuator has solved it for me.

If you cannot remove the actuator to see what the valve is doing then
I'm not sure what to suggest other than draining the system and taking
it apart.

Or get someone in if this isnt your strong skill!

Nigel

sandra.finch wrote:
Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a problem which has recently
befallen me. I suddenly can't get any hot water in my taps unless the
heating has been on. Is it connected to the fact that I had a very noisy
actuator motor for a couple of months and now I don't hear it at all?

If any one can offer an explanation and, even better, a solution I would be
very grateful.

Sandra

Owain

sandra.finch wrote:
I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a problem which has recently
befallen me. I suddenly can't get any hot water in my taps unless the
heating has been on. Is it connected to the fact that I had a very noisy
actuator motor for a couple of months and now I don't hear it at all?

Very probably

If any one can offer an explanation and, even better, a solution I would be
very grateful.

If it's the motor part of the valve, this can usually be replaced
without plumbingy work.

If it's the valve part, it's a drain-down job.

Owain

mike ring

Owain wrote in
:

If it's the motor part of the valve, this can usually be replaced
without plumbingy work.

If it's the valve part, it's a drain-down job.

And if the actuator does not remove with a couple of screws (like my old
one) the valve is long overdue for replacement, which is just as well
considering you've got to.

Still not a very difficult job as jobs go!

mioke
BigWallop

"sandra.finch" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a problem which has recently
befallen me. I suddenly can't get any hot water in my taps unless the
heating has been on. Is it connected to the fact that I had a very noisy
actuator motor for a couple of months and now I don't hear it at all?

If any one can offer an explanation and, even better, a solution I would

be
very grateful.

Sandra

Which zone valve do you have with the actuator on it? Makers name etc. Do
you have two zone valves with actuators on them? Or, is it just one zone
valve that had three pipes coming from it?

A two zone system will have two separate zone valves fitted to the boiler
flow (outlet) pipework. Both operate independently to control circulation
through the two parts of the system.

A dual flow system will have one motorised valve, commonly called a
mid-position valve, which allows flow through an either / or situation to
the two separate parts of the heating system.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:55:57 +0000, sandra.finch wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a problem which has recently
befallen me. I suddenly can't get any hot water in my taps unless the
heating has been on. Is it connected to the fact that I had a very noisy
actuator motor for a couple of months and now I don't hear it at all?

If any one can offer an explanation and, even better, a solution I would be
very grateful.

Make and model and brief description of the system. Use the Main FAQ to
identify what you have.

The first question is:
Combi boiler or HW cylinder.