Default Underfloor heating query

Hi

This might be a naive question but I'm no expert in these systems and was
wondering if any one can help.

I rent a house which has an under floor heating system which is water
based. The system is set up with a Vaillant combi-boiler which supplies
hot water to a circuit for the taps and a circuit for the underfloor
heating. Both these circuits disappear into a small storage tank so that
it works in a semi-combi style, filling the storage tank first.

In the summer we turn off the heating for the floor circuit on the boiler
but the floor nearest the boiler (kitchen area) still gets v. hot from
the residual heating effect of the hot water ciruit(well this is my idea
of how the floor is getting hot).

This gets pretty uncomfortable when the downstairs is open plan and the
average temp is +30oC (French Alps, not Sarf London). What are peoples
opinions on just closing the water circuits that are feeding the
underfloor heating system (there are 4 pipes going into and out of the
wall below floor level, with taps on the inlets). Is this likely to cause
any damage to the boiler, storage tanks or underfloor heating? Like I say
I have no experience of these systems so any opinions would be gratefully
received.

Cheers

D.
Aidan

D wrote:

Is this likely to cause any damage to the boiler, storage tanks or underfloor heating?

It shouldn't. All the safety devices (safety valve, expansion vessel,
thermostats, etc., ) would normally be inside the boiler casing.
Isolating the heating circuits coming out of the boiler shouldn't cause
any harm. However, if the heating pump is isolated you shouldn't need
to shut the isolating valves; it shouldn't make any difference.

I can't be 100% certain, because the boiler might be different or it
could be a peculiar installation;see below. If the problem is that the
boiler's pump is still running when you think it should be off, you
will wreck it by dead-heading it.

Both these circuits disappear into a small storage tank so that
it works in a semi-combi style, filling the storage tank first.

I can't imagine that. Is the small storage tank outside the boiler
casing?

but the floor nearest the boiler (kitchen area) still gets v. hot from

Is it just the doemstic hot water supply to the taps heating the floor?
This is quite a common installation fault with UFH, typically pipes are
run from manifolds along corridors to numerous zones. If the pipes are
not properly insulated, the corridor gets excessively hot.

It may also be that the system has been incorrectly wired, or the
electric controls are inadequate, so that the boiler's primary heating
pump is still running (causing the floor to get hot) and the UFH is
isolated at the manifolds' control valves.

There would typically be a mixing valve and an UFH secondary pump at
the manifolds. The primary heating pump would be inside the boiler,
circulating water from boiler to manifolds. No demand from all the UFH
manifolds should turn off the boiler's primary heating pump.

I rent a house

I shouldn't mess about with the heating then. Put a rug down. Dry wet
clothes on it.

BigWallop

"D" wrote in message
t...
Hi

This might be a naive question but I'm no expert in these systems and was
wondering if any one can help.

We can but try. :-)

I rent a house which has an under floor heating system which is water
based. The system is set up with a Vaillant combi-boiler which supplies
hot water to a circuit for the taps and a circuit for the underfloor
heating. Both these circuits disappear into a small storage tank so that
it works in a semi-combi style, filling the storage tank first.

Tell your landlord to get it sorted.

In the summer we turn off the heating for the floor circuit on the boiler
but the floor nearest the boiler (kitchen area) still gets v. hot from
the residual heating effect of the hot water ciruit(well this is my idea
of how the floor is getting hot).

Does the floor get hot only when you demand hot water, or does it get hot
and stay hot all the time?

This gets pretty uncomfortable when the downstairs is open plan and the
average temp is +30oC (French Alps, not Sarf London). What are peoples
opinions on just closing the water circuits that are feeding the
underfloor heating system (there are 4 pipes going into and out of the
wall below floor level, with taps on the inlets). Is this likely to cause
any damage to the boiler, storage tanks or underfloor heating? Like I say
I have no experience of these systems so any opinions would be gratefully
received.

Cheers

D.

If the floor is only getting hot when you demand hot water to other parts of
the house, then the pipework sounds as though it isn't properly insulated.
You'll be using money heating the house rather than just getting hot water
to the taps.

Does the small tank also get hot? If the small tank is a red or an orange
colour, then it is actually a pressure vessel which keeps the system
supplied properly with a head pressure of water. This shouldn't get hot, a
little warm maybe, but not hot if it's being used correctly.

Doctor Evil

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

D wrote:

[...]

...or better still ask the landlord how the heating works.

query about segmented circle part size John Moorhead Woodworking 11 April 27th 05 01:26 AM
Panasonic TX28 Widescreen Query... Alison Hannah Electronics Repair 2 February 10th 05 08:00 PM
Earth Bonding Query. Pet UK diy 12 July 20th 04 06:01 PM
Query about the fluing options of a W-B Greenstar Rhys UK diy 4 June 22nd 04 05:04 PM
Bathroom fan wiring query (sorry!) Lobster UK diy 3 May 12th 04 10:29 PM