Rick

Default Amazon & The Slate Roof Bible

I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the UK
for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed me
again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just
delayed it.

Does anybody know where I can get this book from, or if there is any
other similar books, or even if you have a copy you would kindly sell
me.

The rafters are up, the insulation is on, the slates are on the floor,
I need to build some more confidence before an allmighty mess arrives

Thanks
Rick
keith_765

"Rick" wrote in message
I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the UK
for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed me
again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just
delayed it.

Does anybody know where I can get this book from, or if there is any
other similar books, or even if you have a copy you would kindly sell
me.

The rafters are up, the insulation is on, the slates are on the floor,
I need to build some more confidence before an allmighty mess arrives

Thanks
Rick

Rick
What is it you want to know about roof slating.
Keith.

Bob Eager

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:52:13 UTC, Rick wrote:

I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the UK
for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed me
again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just
delayed it.

Often means it's in short supply or out of print. On one memorable
occasion they messed me around for months, but had it in stock all the
time (in a different binding).

See:

http://www.bookfinder.com

They list a lot of new and used copies; mostly USA, but my experience is
that you get it within 10 days or so.

Rick

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:37:31 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
.. .
I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the UK
for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed me
again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just
delayed it.

Does anybody know where I can get this book from, or if there is any
other similar books, or even if you have a copy you would kindly sell
me.

The rafters are up, the insulation is on, the slates are on the floor,
I need to build some more confidence before an allmighty mess arrives

Thanks
Rick

Rick
What is it you want to know about roof slating.
Keith.

There are things I know, or have found out
There are things I know I don't know - thankfully few
and things I don't know I don't know - aka experience

Its the last lot I need to take care of, I normally find a good book a
case of wine, and a few nights of noting on the TV deals with it just
fine.

Its just the way I am. I worked in a University Resarch dept, we would
do anyting that we could get a book for and read to learn how to do
it. We alos did stuff there was no books for, but most of the time it
was a long job to work out how. I prefer the book method.

Rick

Richard J.

Rick wrote:
I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the
UK for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed
me again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just
delayed it.

Does anybody know where I can get this book from, or if there is any
other similar books, or even if you have a copy you would kindly
sell me.

The rafters are up, the insulation is on, the slates are on the
floor, I need to build some more confidence before an allmighty
mess arrives ....

A search on Bookbrain (www.bookbrain.co.uk) reveals that The Book Place
claims to have it "available for same day despatch". See
http://www.thebookplace.co.uk/bookpl...815&CID=BBN106
(Two other suppliers say awaiting reprint.)

--
Richard J.

Rick

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:58:03 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Rick wrote:
I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the
UK for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed
me again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just
delayed it.

Does anybody know where I can get this book from, or if there is any
other similar books, or even if you have a copy you would kindly
sell me.

The rafters are up, the insulation is on, the slates are on the
floor, I need to build some more confidence before an allmighty
mess arrives ....

A search on Bookbrain (www.bookbrain.co.uk) reveals that The Book Place
claims to have it "available for same day despatch". See
http://www.thebookplace.co.uk/bookpl...815&CID=BBN106
(Two other suppliers say awaiting reprint.)

Thanks, I orderd it.

I'll keep that link too ......... :-)

Rick

nightjar

"Rick" wrote in message
There are things I know, or have found out
There are things I know I don't know - thankfully few
and things I don't know I don't know - aka experience

Its the last lot I need to take care of, I normally find a good book a
case of wine, and a few nights of noting on the TV deals with it just
fine.

Its just the way I am. I worked in a University Resarch dept, we would
do anyting that we could get a book for and read to learn how to do
it. We alos did stuff there was no books for, but most of the time it
was a long job to work out how. I prefer the book method.

Simply getting a few gash slates and practicing is probably the best method.
A book will probably tell you the right way up for a slate and to knock the
nail holes through from the underside, but it won't give you the feel for
how to hit the slate when making the holes, or when trimming the slate to
size. It probably also won't tell you that you will make the job ten times
easier if you only buy best quality Welsh slate.

Colin Bignell

David

In article , Rick news@pen-
y-geulan.com writes
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:37:31 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Ah the "unknown unknowns" to quote Rumsfeldt,

Its the last lot I need to take care of, I normally find a good book a
case of wine, and a few nights of noting on the TV deals with it just
fine.

Its just the way I am. I worked in a University Resarch dept, we would
do anyting that we could get a book for and read to learn how to do
it. We alos did stuff there was no books for, but most of the time it
was a long job to work out how. I prefer the book method.

I did mine on a trial and error basis and also there were a lot of slate
roofs nearby for me to have a look at if I got stuck, its actually very
straightforward once you get into it, its the valleys and hips that are
a bit tricky in trying to get the angles right.
--
David
keith_765

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

To add to the above comments. After 50 years in the slating & tiling trade,
I haven't seen a book on the subject that describes slating to the full.
None of them give any idea of sorting thickness, how the gauge is marked on
the slate for holing or which end of the slate, setting the gauge for
avoiding short courses, bonding the roof for equal overhang, working around
chimneys and valley's and most of all where to lay the slates, How to sort
the lath and which way round to fix them. No good putting a whinny edge lath
the wrong way round or a thick lath in the middle of a slate roof.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:50:24 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

After 50 years in the slating & tiling trade,

So write your book then ! Clearly the market needs one.
Rick

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:45:36 +0100, David
wrote:

In article , Rick news@pen-
y-geulan.com writes
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

I have 10 valleys, 4 ridges & 2 hips :-(

Rick

Replacing Gutter on Slate Roof Rob Gray Home Repair 1 January 12th 05 07:21 AM
When to Replace a Slate roof? Rob Gray Home Repair 8 August 22nd 04 01:19 AM
Slate Roof Question Grur Home Repair 8 March 16th 04 10:56 AM
Complicated slate roof structure - mainenance problem? fred Home Repair 9 February 20th 04 08:40 AM
New roof; slate or tiled N. Thornton UK diy 0 October 26th 03 02:18 PM