TheScullster

Default What price a labourer

Any ideas on rates for labourer in East Yorkshire?
I am about to be hit with an extras bill and want to get an order of the
total to make sure I'm not completely ripped off.
Duties covered by the guy have included:
Laying drains
Blockwork
Patio re-laying and the like

About half way between bricky and labourer I suppose.

Also included drilling through my cables (aarrgghh!)

TIA

Phil

r.p.mcmurphy

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Any ideas on rates for labourer in East Yorkshire?
I am about to be hit with an extras bill and want to get an order of the
total to make sure I'm not completely ripped off.
Duties covered by the guy have included:
Laying drains
Blockwork
Patio re-laying and the like

About half way between bricky and labourer I suppose.

Also included drilling through my cables (aarrgghh!)

TIA

Phil

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

Steve

TheScullster

Steve

Is that Yorkshire rate?
How do you know? Are you in the trade youself?

Thanks

Phil

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

Steve

Peter Crosland

Didn't you ask before the work was done?

Peter Crosland

Lobster

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any ideas on rates for labourer in East Yorkshire?

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

I'd concur with those rates (maybe a bit low for a good brickie?) but
bear in mind that assuming you are paying a company to do this work, and
that they will be paying the labourer, then the cost to you is likely to
be considerably more than the labourer's hourly rate (that's how the
company makes a profit)

David

Mike

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

I think you might find a labourer on this rate expects to be allowed off one
morning a fortnight to sign on as well.

David Lang

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

Are you having a laugh? Hod carriers can earn £12 an hour in the South
East!

Dave

TheScullster

Thanks to all.

Got the bill last night and it was £40 less than my calculated total of
£870.
Yes I got an "indication" of the cost of extras, but wanted to be prepared
if that suddenly increased substantially.
All in all I feel I have got a decent (not perfect) job done for a fair sum
but time will tell!

Phil

r.p.mcmurphy

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Steve

Is that Yorkshire rate?
How do you know? Are you in the trade youself?

Thanks

Phil

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

Steve

not in the trade but bro lives in e yorks and is paying these rates
currently.

steve

r.p.mcmurphy

"Lobster" wrote in message
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any ideas on rates for labourer in East Yorkshire?

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an
hour.

I'd concur with those rates (maybe a bit low for a good brickie?) but bear
in mind that assuming you are paying a company to do this work, and that
they will be paying the labourer, then the cost to you is likely to be
considerably more than the labourer's hourly rate (that's how the company
makes a profit)

David

A top class brickie who is quick too will defiantly command more...but a
steady decent (average) brickie wants about a ton, ton twenty. a far cry
from 5 years ago when i paid £50 a day!

Steve

Once upon a time a houseowner was presented with a bill for some work
and was surprised at its size. "Ah," said the craftsman, "some of it
is for doing the work, but most of it is for knowing how to do it."

TheScullster

Biff

"most of it is for knowing how to do it."

A valid point!
When attempting new (ie stuff I haven't attempted recently/before) DIY jobs,
I probably spend more time sorting out the best method/materials than I
spend doing the job.

Phil

Peter Crosland wrote:
Didn't you ask before the work was done?

Peter Crosland

thats what I thought!

NT

Mike

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Biff

"most of it is for knowing how to do it."

A valid point!
When attempting new (ie stuff I haven't attempted recently/before) DIY

jobs,
I probably spend more time sorting out the best method/materials than I
spend doing the job.

Ah but once done (and groups like this help enormously) you'll know how to
do it for the rest of your life.

TheScullster

Mike

Ah but once done (and groups like this help enormously) you'll know how to
do it for the rest of your life.

Not quite true in my case unfortunately for two reasons:

1. Poor memory for methods, materials etc (strangely excellent one for
numbers!) though I am trying to keep a diary for future reference.

2. First house was old terraced property bought twenty years ago in which I
did a lot of DIY - central heating, rewiring etc. Second house was new
build. So it's the best part of 20 years since I did a lot of this.
Regulations and materials have changed significantly in that time, as I am
gradually discovering.

But yes I agree whole heartedly about the assistance provided by this group
for which I am constantly grateful.
Occasionally this stuff gets a bit overwhelming and the guys (and gals
perhaps) resolve the situation with an injection of common sense
practicality.

Phil

Mike

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Mike

Ah but once done (and groups like this help enormously) you'll know how

do it for the rest of your life.

But yes I agree whole heartedly about the assistance provided by this

group
for which I am constantly grateful.
Occasionally this stuff gets a bit overwhelming and the guys (and gals
perhaps) resolve the situation with an injection of common sense
practicality.

.... and a good bit of 'lively discussion' on what is the best form of common
sense :-)

Rick

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:13:12 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Any ideas on rates for labourer in East Yorkshire?
I am about to be hit with an extras bill and want to get an order of the
total to make sure I'm not completely ripped off.
Duties covered by the guy have included:
Laying drains
Blockwork
Patio re-laying and the like

About half way between bricky and labourer I suppose.

Also included drilling through my cables (aarrgghh!)

TIA

Phil

For "dirty cash", 9 quid an hour and up, more for special skills, or
extra equipment. an hour consists of say 45 minuites actuall work, and
15 mins smoke/tea/paper/loo etc ..... The ratio varies if the weather
is bad, or the guys wife blew a gasket the night before.

Rick