Where can I get ice cream tubs cheaply.

Old June 13th 05, 06:21 PM
Ian Stirling

Default Where can I get ice cream tubs cheaply.

I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?
Old June 13th 05, 07:01 PM
Nick

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking

boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that

safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way

through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

I used to get these (or similar) from a local transport cafe. Local
pubs/restaurants also perhaps?
HTH
Nick.

Old June 13th 05, 07:16 PM
Set Square

Ian Stirling wrote:

I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for
everything from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini
stacking boxes. They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being
stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that
safeway are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating
my way through a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders
for my already not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Follow an ice-cream van - and ask the driver what happens to the empty
containers. They often have a tub of each of many different flavours on the
go for cones etc. Don't know whether they're 4-litres though - or even
whether they recycle them!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old June 13th 05, 09:29 PM
Rusty

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way
through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Catering outlets get them. Try your local OAP day centre.

rusty

Old June 14th 05, 07:06 PM
nightjar

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way
through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

A local cafe used to let me have them.

Colin Bignell

Old June 14th 05, 11:17 PM
Martin Angove

In message ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

If you find one, let me know. A friend of mine makes ice cream for a
living (well known brand here in South Wales) but keeps complaining
about the amount he has to pay for his containers and the printing of
same. They appear to be a significant proportion of the total cost of
manufacture! He uses 500ml, 1l, 2l and 4l mostly I think. The 2l and 4l
take the same lids.

Regarding the "follow a van" post, his vans don't sell cones; they just
sell the filled tubs, so no empty tubs to give away :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Sorry officer, I thought the amber light meant accelerate very quickly.
Old June 15th 05, 12:21 AM
Dave Baker

Ian Stirling wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way

through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Not sure what you consider cheap but the other week I spotted some clear
plastic food storage containers in Tescos which looked very handy for
storing small engine parts in. The 1 litre is 48p and the 3 litre 98p if I
remember rightly. I bought a box of 1000 sealable plastic bags for storage
of small cleaned parts many years ago but if you coat the parts in oil to
stop them rusting the oil dissolves the bags I subsequently discovered.
After a few months I ended up with oil soaked cardboard stock boxes full of
plastic bag remnants and a jumble of mixed and dirty parts in the bottom of
them which all needed cleaning and sorting again.

For the small number of oiled components I need to store I thought some of
these food containers wouldn't break the bank so I got a few of each. Then I
spotted that they were microwave safe too so I've ended up using most of
them for storing and heating food in. Ah well, next time I'm in Tescos I'll
just have to buy some more.

Oh, one of the 3 litre ones struck me as just the right size for a miniature
litter tray for the ferret's cage All I have to do now is train the
little sod to poop in it instead of next to it which appears to be her
preference.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Old June 15th 05, 12:25 AM
raden

In message , Martin Angove
writes
In message ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

He needs a 5 deposit on the tubs then

--
geoff
Old June 15th 05, 12:49 AM
Owain

Dave Baker wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Not sure what you consider cheap but the other week I spotted some clear
plastic food storage containers in Tescos

I know Tesco recycle 80% of all their cardboard and plastic, but their
delicatessen counter might have tubs from the wholesale delivery of
coleslaw etc sold loose.

Sandwich and pizza take-aways might also be worth approaching as they
tend to buy pre-made ingredients to comply with food hygiene regulations.

Owain

Old June 15th 05, 01:42 AM
Dave Baker

Owain wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Not sure what you consider cheap but the other week I spotted some clear
plastic food storage containers in Tescos

I know Tesco recycle 80% of all their cardboard and plastic, but their
delicatessen counter might have tubs from the wholesale delivery of
coleslaw etc sold loose.

Sandwich and pizza take-aways might also be worth approaching as they
tend to buy pre-made ingredients to comply with food hygiene regulations.

Owain

Oh, that's a damn good idea. Similarly my local Budgens does Indian meals at
the deli counter and all the meat dishes come in big square plastic tubs of
maybe 5 or 6 litres. They usually serve from the bowls on the counter but
quite often they've had to get another tub from the stores for me so I've
seen what the food originally arrives in a few times. I bet all those get
chucked once they're empty. Memo to self for tomorrow evening's trip to buy
bread to ask them about it.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Plant tubs (Versailles Caisse) construction plans. Tom UK diy 2 May 8th 05 11:33 PM
Americast Tubs Deke Home Repair 2 March 20th 05 11:30 PM
Sewer Backup to Laundry Tubs Ke Home Repair 1 August 7th 04 01:30 PM
Building a wood splitter cheaply Don Metalworking 3 December 14th 03 02:56 PM
Where to get damp proofing cream? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 11 August 13th 03 08:52 AM