Ian Stirling

Default Where can I get ice cream tubs cheaply.

I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?
Nick

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking

boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that

safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way

through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

I used to get these (or similar) from a local transport cafe. Local
pubs/restaurants also perhaps?
HTH
Nick.

Set Square

Ian Stirling wrote:

I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for
everything from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini
stacking boxes. They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being
stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that
safeway are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating
my way through a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders
for my already not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Follow an ice-cream van - and ask the driver what happens to the empty
containers. They often have a tub of each of many different flavours on the
go for cones etc. Don't know whether they're 4-litres though - or even
whether they recycle them!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rusty

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way
through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Catering outlets get them. Try your local OAP day centre.

rusty

nightjar

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way
through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

A local cafe used to let me have them.

Colin Bignell

Martin Angove

In message ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

If you find one, let me know. A friend of mine makes ice cream for a
living (well known brand here in South Wales) but keeps complaining
about the amount he has to pay for his containers and the printing of
same. They appear to be a significant proportion of the total cost of
manufacture! He uses 500ml, 1l, 2l and 4l mostly I think. The 2l and 4l
take the same lids.

Regarding the "follow a van" post, his vans don't sell cones; they just
sell the filled tubs, so no empty tubs to give away :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Sorry officer, I thought the amber light meant accelerate very quickly.
Dave Baker

Ian Stirling wrote in message
I find Safeway 4l vanilla ice cream tubs to be very handy, for everything
from mixing small quantities of plaster, to acting as mini stacking boxes.
They are polypropylene, and quite robust, being stackable many high
even with lots of stuff in.
However, I'm about through my supply, and apart from the fact that safeway
are now Morrisons and they no longer do the ice cream, eating my way

through
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Not sure what you consider cheap but the other week I spotted some clear
plastic food storage containers in Tescos which looked very handy for
storing small engine parts in. The 1 litre is 48p and the 3 litre 98p if I
remember rightly. I bought a box of 1000 sealable plastic bags for storage
of small cleaned parts many years ago but if you coat the parts in oil to
stop them rusting the oil dissolves the bags I subsequently discovered.
After a few months I ended up with oil soaked cardboard stock boxes full of
plastic bag remnants and a jumble of mixed and dirty parts in the bottom of
them which all needed cleaning and sorting again.

For the small number of oiled components I need to store I thought some of
these food containers wouldn't break the bank so I got a few of each. Then I
spotted that they were microwave safe too so I've ended up using most of
them for storing and heating food in. Ah well, next time I'm in Tescos I'll
just have to buy some more.

Oh, one of the 3 litre ones struck me as just the right size for a miniature
litter tray for the ferret's cage All I have to do now is train the
little sod to poop in it instead of next to it which appears to be her
preference.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

raden

In message , Martin Angove
writes
In message ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

He needs a £5 deposit on the tubs then

--
geoff
Owain

Dave Baker wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Not sure what you consider cheap but the other week I spotted some clear
plastic food storage containers in Tescos

I know Tesco recycle 80% of all their cardboard and plastic, but their
delicatessen counter might have tubs from the wholesale delivery of
coleslaw etc sold loose.

Sandwich and pizza take-aways might also be worth approaching as they
tend to buy pre-made ingredients to comply with food hygiene regulations.

Owain

Dave Baker

Owain wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote
a few dozen 4l tubs of ice cream would not do wonders for my already
not-too-elfin figure.
Can anyone suggest a source?

Not sure what you consider cheap but the other week I spotted some clear
plastic food storage containers in Tescos

I know Tesco recycle 80% of all their cardboard and plastic, but their
delicatessen counter might have tubs from the wholesale delivery of
coleslaw etc sold loose.

Sandwich and pizza take-aways might also be worth approaching as they
tend to buy pre-made ingredients to comply with food hygiene regulations.

Owain

Oh, that's a damn good idea. Similarly my local Budgens does Indian meals at
the deli counter and all the meat dishes come in big square plastic tubs of
maybe 5 or 6 litres. They usually serve from the bowls on the counter but
quite often they've had to get another tub from the stores for me so I've
seen what the food originally arrives in a few times. I bet all those get
chucked once they're empty. Memo to self for tomorrow evening's trip to buy
bread to ask them about it.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Dave Baker

Dave Baker wrote in message

Owain wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote
[...]

Update. Budgens were quite happy to put all the empty tubs to one side for
me as they only get chucked anyway so in a few days time I'll have a
workshop full of handy storage containers

I'm sure other stores would do the same for people.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Owain

Dave Baker wrote:
Update. Budgens were quite happy to put all the empty tubs to one side for
me as they only get chucked anyway so in a few days time I'll have a
workshop full of handy storage containers

As long as you don't mind your treasures smelling faintly of chicken
tikka masala.

Once the workshop is full, you can sell any surplus containers on Ebay.

Owain

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:21:35 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

Oh, one of the 3 litre ones struck me as just the right size for a miniature
litter tray for the ferret's cage

Great ! And you can keep the lid on too.

All I have to do now is train the
little sod to poop in it instead of next to it which appears to be her
preference.

Baking trays (or so I'm told). Fur-rats won't crap in anything with a
raised lip around it, they don't want to have to climb in.

(I'm not a ferret fancier - but nearby friends are, and I sometimes get
the job of sitting them).

I buy my plastic tubs from Ikea. Couple of quid for a nested set. Good
choice of plastic (no brittle lids), two freezer-sized tubs for single
portion curries, one big tub for keeping waterstones in, and a couple of
tiny tubs for storing shellac or other finishing cloths. It's the only
place I've seen tiny tubs that were still well made.

Dave Baker

wrote:

Oh, one of the 3 litre ones struck me as just the right size for a

miniature
litter tray for the ferret's cage

Great ! And you can keep the lid on too.

All I have to do now is train the
little sod to poop in it instead of next to it which appears to be her
preference.

Baking trays (or so I'm told). Fur-rats won't crap in anything with a
raised lip around it, they don't want to have to climb in.

(I'm not a ferret fancier - but nearby friends are, and I sometimes get
the job of sitting them).

I'd never contemplated having one myself either and knew nothing at all
about them. It's been cats only in my house for many years. I came across
her sitting in the middle of a main road at about 4am about 20 miles from
home on the way back from a trip about 4 weeks ago. Luckily the headlights
picked her up in time because she didn't move an inch even when I pulled
over and parked next to her to see what it was. Turned out to be a tiny
female ferret very much in season (vulva the size of a door stop) and
probably no more than a few months old. She's 20% heavier now than when I
first found her so clearly she wasn't even fully grown.

Driving 20 miles with a small hormonally challenged ferret loose and
exploring manically in the car isn't exactly a trivial task. Half the time
she was under the pedals just when I needed to brake and at one point we
ended up with her up my right trouser leg as far as my thigh while I was
going down a dual carriageway. Trying to steer the car at high speed with
one hand and push a ferret back down your leg with the other before she got
to any really sensitive areas isn't something I'm keen to try again. I stuck
her in the glove box at one point but apparently it isn't closed at the back
because 5 seconds later she was in the footwell again. Fortunately she
eventually curled up and fell fast asleep on my lap and the last 10 miles
were trouble free.

I had her spayed immediately as Google said female ferrets left in season
for too long can get very ill or even die and she's actually the most
gorgeous, friendly, gentle little thing you can possibly imagine. A
wonderful temperament, never nips, loves playing, comes when she's called,
only poops where I've got newspaper down which makes cleaning up a bit
easier (took a while and some considerable injury to the carpets to get that
sorted out but she learns very fast), goes mad with joy every morning (manic
dooking which ferret owners will understand) when she's let out of her cage
and has to groom my head and ears very meticulously before she goes off to
explore. She rides on the Dyson when I'm hoovering (the cat runs and hides
when the hoover's out but ferrets apparently have very little fear of
anything at all), dotes on me completely and I must say I'm totally smitten
with her too.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:17:23 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

I had her spayed immediately as Google said female ferrets left in season
for too long can get very ill or even die

I believe they can literally explode from frustration. Some of this
explains the cross-over with Goths keeping them as pets...

When you had her spayed, did the vet remove the scent (sic) glands too ?
This is common practice in the USA where they're a "house pet", but
still rare in the UK where they're thought of as outdoor hunting
critters. My friend over the road is American and wasn't aware of this -
until her English ferrets were so obviously whiffier (to say the least!)
than she was used to in the USA.

I much prefer cats. But if I had to live with an indoor ferret, it would
be getting de-stinked.

Dave Baker

wrote:

I had her spayed immediately as Google said female ferrets left in season
for too long can get very ill or even die

I believe they can literally explode from frustration. Some of this
explains the cross-over with Goths keeping them as pets...

When you had her spayed, did the vet remove the scent (sic) glands too ?

Absolutely not!!! The anal glands, which they can (but very rarely do) empty
when very scared in much the same way as a skunk, make no difference to
their normal smell at all. This is a completely unnecessary surgical
procedure with no benefit to either the animal or its owner and no
responsible vet or owner should ever contemplate an unnecessary surgical
procedure.

This is common practice in the USA where they're a "house pet", but
still rare in the UK where they're thought of as outdoor hunting
critters. My friend over the road is American and wasn't aware of this -
until her English ferrets were so obviously whiffier (to say the least!)
than she was used to in the USA.

I much prefer cats. But if I had to live with an indoor ferret, it would
be getting de-stinked.

There is nothing you can do to 'de-stink' a ferret other than neuter it
which removes 90% of the musky smell that un-neutered animals have because
of the hormones and pheromones they produce. Entire males smell very
strongly and entire females are quite whiffy but not so bad. Once neutered
both sexes have very little smell. More than a cat for sure but not
unpleasant to most owners. Verity was quite stinky when I found her but
hardly smells at all now she's been neutered. Cleaning and replacing their
bedding regularly is essential because the body oils get onto the bedding
and then back onto the animal even if it keeps itself clean. Bathing the
animal itself too often is actually very bad because it dries out the skin
and induces it to produce more oils again which then makes the smell worse.

As for American vets and pet owners the less said the better. They also
commonly perform other barbaric surgical procedures such as declawing cats
and ferrets which is illegal in the UK and many other countries and
massively impairs the animal's ability to walk, climb or defend itself if
needed. Any vet or pet owner that performs an unnecessary or harmful
surgical procedure on an animal should at the very least be banned from
keeping animals for life. Personally I'd put them up against a wall and
shoot them. I care very little what humans do to each other but anyone who
knowingly harms or mistreats an animal in their care is a waste of oxygen
and needs removing from the planet without delay.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

RichardS

wrote:

[...]

be very scared - the joys of Yorkshire Ferreting....

http://www.wesjones.com/ferret.htm

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Mary Fisher

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

I care very little what humans do to each other

.... so torture, mutilation, rape, murder by one human being on another is
OK?

I agree with your stance on animal mutilation 100%. But I do believe that it
extens to humans.

Mary

Ian Stirling

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

I care very little what humans do to each other

... so torture, mutilation, rape, murder by one human being on another is
OK?

I agree with your stance on animal mutilation 100%. But I do believe that it
extens to humans.

However, it's less relevant, as there are few jurisdictions in which you
can keep humans as pets
Dave Baker

Mary Fisher wrote in message
. net...

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

I care very little what humans do to each other

... so torture, mutilation, rape, murder by one human being on another is
OK?

That's a very facile comment. Of course it isn't OK but whether I care about
it or not isn't going to make a scrap of difference to it happening. All the
things you refer to are universally illegal and every country has laws in
place to punish those who commit such offences which they clearly continue
to do regardless of the law. Many countries do not have laws which make
certain cruel acts to animals illegal including supposedly enlightened
countries such as the USA where declawing is still practiced. That is one of
the things I choose to care about.

What you choose to care about is similarly up to yourself.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Plant tubs (Versailles Caisse) construction plans. Tom UK diy 2 May 9th 05 12:33 AM
Americast Tubs Deke Home Repair 2 March 21st 05 12:30 AM
Sewer Backup to Laundry Tubs Ke Home Repair 1 August 7th 04 02:30 PM
Building a wood splitter cheaply Don Metalworking 3 December 14th 03 03:56 PM
Where to get damp proofing cream? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 11 August 13th 03 09:52 AM