nemo

Default Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler question

Does anyone know if the Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler was made
obsolete by a new regulation which came into force on April 1st?

The Council have installed these on my estate and there is a rumour going
around that this is the case and because of the regulation Camden managed to
get them on the cheap. This would not be unusual for Camden, believe me! Our
last lot of lifts were obsolete when they went in and have given us 30 years
of hell! They've learned though. The new ones are state-of-the-art.

The boilers seem OK, except that they take ages to fill the bath up - but if
we should have got better ones, we should have had better ones.

The contractor Camden are using is Makers. Very imaginative name. Does
anyone know anything about them? The general consensus here is that they're
a bunch poorly-skilled cowboys run by con-men!

Nemo.

Tony Bryer

In article , Nemo
wrote:
Does anyone know if the Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler
was made obsolete by a new regulation which came into force on
April 1st?

The Greenstar HE models are condensing so comply

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

nemo

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Nemo
wrote:
Does anyone know if the Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler
was made obsolete by a new regulation which came into force on
April 1st?

The Greenstar HE models are condensing so comply

So that was the regulation referred to.

We've had so much utter crap from the Council, the consulting architect and
the contractor about almost every aspect of the work that no-one trusts any
of them. That's why rumours like this get started. I'll try to put
everyone's mind at rest.

Many thanks,

Nemo

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nemo wrote:
We've had so much utter crap from the Council, the consulting architect
and the contractor about almost every aspect of the work that no-one
trusts any of them. That's why rumours like this get started. I'll try
to put everyone's mind at rest.

Condensing boilers produce a stream of vapour from the exhaust when in
condensing mode - as they probably will be some time after first firing.
So should be obviously different from the ones they replaced.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"nemo" wrote in message
o.uk...

Does anyone know if the Worcester
(Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler was made
obsolete by a new regulation which came into
force on April 1st?

It is state of the art condensing. Current model.

The boilers seem OK, except that they take ages to fill the bath up - but

if
we should have got better ones, we should have had better ones.

You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi. Combi's
are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate model of
Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should have given you
all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi.
Combi's are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate
model of Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should have
given you all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Does anyone know if the Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler was

made
obsolete by a new regulation which came into force on April 1st?

It not only complies, but is a particularly well regarded and reliable

model
and should be near the top of anyone's shortlist when choosing a boiler.

The boilers seem OK, except that they take ages to fill the bath up -

but
if
we should have got better ones, we should have had better ones.

That's because it is a combi. Nothing to do with being condensing or
otherwise. Nothing to do with the make or quality. Instantaneous combis

heat
up the water as you use it and can only heat so much at a time. They have
the advantage of doing so at mains pressure, giving excellent shower
performance, even though the bath filling can be a little disappointing.

have good bath filling performance as well, you need either a commercial
size combi,

There are domestic high flow combi's.

or some sort of storage based solution, which can be a "one
(larger) box" solution,

Which is called a combi.

or a two part cylinder and boiler solution.

In a flat you don't want that.

Builders/renovators of estates are
likely to go the instantaneous combi
route, as it costs much less to install.

Any one bopx solution is cheap, and quicker, to install.

There is also less to maintain.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
To have good bath filling performance as well, you need either a
commercial size combi,

There are domestic high flow combi's.

Depends what you mean by high flow. It means nothing unless supported by
figures that give a real world comarision.

or some sort of storage based solution, which can be a "one (larger)
box" solution,

Which is called a combi.

or a two part cylinder and boiler solution.

In a flat you don't want that.

Not everyone lives in a flat - even those on council estates.

Builders/renovators of estates are likely to go the instantaneous
combi route, as it costs much less to install.

Any one bopx solution is cheap, and quicker, to install.

All that seems to matter to you. Most would be more concerned about
performance at the end of the day.

There is also less to maintain.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
To have good bath filling performance as well, you need either a
commercial size combi,

There are domestic high flow combi's.

Depends what you mean by high flow.

Not low flow.

or some sort of storage based solution, which can be a "one (larger)
box" solution,

Which is called a combi.

or a two part cylinder and boiler solution.

In a flat you don't want that.

Not everyone lives in a flat

This man lives in a flat.

- even those on council estates.

How about sink estates?

Most would be more concerned about
performance at the end of the day.

That is why he needs a high flow combi.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Not everyone lives in a flat

This man lives in a flat.

Whilst this may be so you're making things up again as he hasn't stated it.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jim

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi.
Combi's are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate
model of Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should have
given you all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises
concerned?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jim wrote:
Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises
concerned?

His 'one answer fits all' is typical of the breed.

And as regards a low output boiler being cheaper to run than a higher
output one when filling the bath? Wonder where that gem came from?

I'd *guess* at exactly the reverse.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
And as regards a low output boiler being cheaper to run than a
higher output one when filling the bath? Wonder where that gem
came from?

It's true - with a low power combi you only bath at weekends: no
time to do so during the week g

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Doctor Evil

"Jim" wrote in message
news
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi.
Combi's are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate
model of Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should

have
given you all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises
concerned?

It has a higher flowrate and he desires a higher flow. It is obvious you
couldn't figure this out, so please leave me in your killfile as you don't
deserve to read wisdom.

Doctor Evil

Jim wrote:
Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises
concerned?

His 'one

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances and call in a
proper gorgi fitter. This DIY at its worse I tell you.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Doctor Evil
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article , Jim
wrote:
Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the
premises concerned?

His 'one

Nicely snipped so even Google readers won't have a clue what you're
replying to.

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances

They were labels in those days. Tied on. Does that get your juices flowing?

and call in a proper gorgi fitter.

A 'proper gorgi fitter'? Is that what you call yourself?

This DIY at its worse I tell you.

Nice afternoon on the sauce? Seek treatment for that as well as your
masturbation fantasies. Seriously.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Nick Atty

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:02:43 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

call in a proper gorgi fitter.

Why aye man.

--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:55:38 +0000, nemo wrote:

Does anyone know if the Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler was made
obsolete by a new regulation which came into force on April 1st?

The Council have installed these on my estate and there is a rumour going
around that this is the case and because of the regulation Camden managed to
get them on the cheap. This would not be unusual for Camden, believe me! Our
last lot of lifts were obsolete when they went in and have given us 30 years
of hell! They've learned though. The new ones are state-of-the-art.

The boilers seem OK, except that they take ages to fill the bath up - but if
we should have got better ones, we should have had better ones.

The contractor Camden are using is Makers. Very imaginative name. Does
anyone know anything about them? The general consensus here is that they're
a bunch poorly-skilled cowboys run by con-men!

One of the problems for plumbers working for corporate Landlords is that
inevitably there is a team of them. So that when there is a problem if the
plumber does not fix it all in one go then the next time there is a call
someone else gets the job and starts all over again.

This makes the service company look even more incompetant than they
actually are.

It is not is the medium or longer term interest of any Landlord to fit a
boiler that is average or below in terms of long life.

The unit they have chosen is IMHO probably towards the better end of the
spectrum in both quality and efficiency - it is a condensing unit and
therefore has not been made obselete by the new energy efficiency
standards.

Combination boilers do not generally fill baths quickly, however they have
advantages and disadvantages seem main FAQ.

Doctor Evil

wrote:
Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the
premises concerned?

His 'one

Nicely snipped so even Google readers won't have a clue what you're
replying to.

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances

They were labels in those days.
Tied on. Does that get your juices flowing?

Your house a time bomb the authorities should cut off your supply.

and call in a proper gorgi fitter.

Now call one in now, or get Transco to cut you off.

raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Jim wrote:
Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises
concerned?

His 'one

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances and call in a
proper gorgi fitter.

We have enough eastern European cowboys over here as it is

Are you ever going to stop being a complete [1] ******

[1] - dIMM couldn't be a complete anything, could he

--
geoff

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Nicely snipped so even Google readers won't have a clue what you're
replying to.

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances

They were labels in those days.
Tied on. Does that get your juices flowing?

Your house a time bomb the authorities should cut off your supply.

Care to try that again in English?

and call in a proper gorgi fitter.

Now call one in now, or get Transco to cut you off.

I did get a *properly* qualified person in - since I had a job to go to
which couldn't wait. And both the appliances the CORGI type had attached
warning labels to were just fine.

He was a chancer and a ******. One of your relations?

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Nicely snipped so even Google readers won't have a clue what you're
replying to.

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances

They were labels in those days.
Tied on. Does that get your juices flowing?

Your house a time bomb the authorities should cut off your supply.

Care to try that again in English?

I'l say it in caber. och, ne, the noo.

and call in a proper gorgi fitter.

Now call one in now, or get Transco to cut you off.

I did get a *properly* qualified person in - since I had a job to go to
which couldn't wait. And both the appliances the CORGI type had attached
warning labels to were just fine.

A likely story indeed. Your house could take the whole street down.

nemo

nemo wrote:
Condensing boilers produce a stream of vapour from the exhaust when in
condensing mode - as they probably will be some time after first firing.
So should be obviously different from the ones they replaced.

--

The old one was a Potterton Neataheat. Lasted very well indeed. Just one
igniter replacement in 30+ years.

Don't have to look at the exhaust to see the difference. No time switch, hot
water cylinder or CLICK . . . .WOOFF! from the new one. Just a few faint
clicks and eerie whirrs - almost instant hot water - very hot - and gas
bills cut by about a third.

It's an excellent piece of engineering too. I've read the technical manual.
A flash boiler but a hell of a long way from those rotten old Ascot things
that poisoned you with Carbon Monoxide!

Thanks for your comments. Most valuable.

Nemo

nemo

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"nemo" wrote in message
o.uk...

Does anyone know if the Worcester
(Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler was made
obsolete by a new regulation which came into
force on April 1st?

It is state of the art condensing. Current model.

The boilers seem OK, except that they take ages to fill the bath up -

but
if
we should have got better ones, we should have had better ones.

You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi. Combi's
are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate model of
Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should have given you
all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Agreed. I've just had my first bill since it was installed and it's 1/3
down - and, because it's more convenient now, I've been using a lot more hot
water than before.

The model number is ZWB 7-25. At least I think that's it. There are some
other numbers but the label is partially obscured.

I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

It's not hugely important because the pressure backs up enough to give a
good blast from the shower, and I prefer not to get into the bath fully
after slipping and rupturing my spleen a couple of years ago! I have a nice
shower seat that Social Services gave me so that I don't do a repeat
performance!

Another thing. At first, we were shown taps with dome-shaped thermostatic
control units for the shower. Another thing we didn't actually get. I've not
been able to spot anything similar on the web. Does anyone know what model
these might be and the manufacturer. The taps they've given us are ¼ turn
from off to full on and a bit difficult to set and I wouldn't mind splashing
out (pun intended) on one of these controllers myself.

Nemo

As I said, the thing was dome-shaped, and had a slider along the front edge
to regulate the temperature.

nemo

Doctor Evil wrote:
You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi.
Combi's are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate
model of Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should have
given you all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

Still better than when I was a kid in Sandwich Street Kings Cross. We had a
tin bath hanging in the back yard which came indoors about once a month. My
parents then put the kettle and all the saucepans we had on the kitchen
range, stoked it up, and we all took turns in the same water!! Fortunately,
I always got first go!

How standards change. If anyone had said in those days that in 40 odd years
time advertisers would have managed to con and shame men into wearing
perfume by calling it after shave and deodorant, they'd have been laughed
out of court!

Nemo

Christian McArdle

I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

Is this the flow at the bath hot tap? In which case you have a fault. The
boiler in question can supply many times that figure. I don't know which
model you have (it should be something like HE30, or HE35 Plus), but they
should all be capable of around 10 litres per minute or more at around 40C
(45C in summer).

Christian.

Doctor Evil

"nemo" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"nemo" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

It's a combi. ;-)

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:12:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

It's a combi. ;-)

You obviously lack familiarity - they are not _that_ bad.

The OP may have meant 2 gals/ minute = 9 litre/min which
given he says it's hot is fine.

Dave Plowman (News)

Doctor Evil wrote:
I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

It's a combi. ;-)

You obviously lack familiarity - they are not _that_ bad.

You missed the smiley, Ed. ;-)

The OP may have meant 2 gals/ minute = 9 litre/min which
given he says it's hot is fine.

His first post complained about the time to fill a bath - so it's
reasonable to assume this was his first experience of a combi.

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath as fast as a decent storage system.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bob

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath as fast as a decent storage system.

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath.

Obvious typo fixed ;-)

Doctor Evil

news

Doctor Evil wrote:
I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

It's a combi. ;-)

You obviously lack familiarity - they are not _that_ bad.

He has never seen one.

Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath as fast
as a decent storage system.

I told you he has never seen one. The Alpha CD50 fills a bath as fast as any
cylinder system. Ideal, Potterton, Eco-Hometec, Viessmann, etc fills baths
within a couple of minutes.

I wonder how he is getting on with his electric cabers?

Doctor Evil

"Bob" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath as fast as a decent storage system.

No matter what the prats like Drivel say, in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath.

Obvious typo fixed ;-)

Amazing! Here is man who has to be told blow by blow how to flush out rads
and now knows all about water heating. Amazing!

Brian Sharrock

Doctor Evil wrote:
[...]

You'll be telling us next; that you remember when only sailors had tattoos
and only girls wore earrings!

--

Brian

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
in real world conditions, a
combi just won't fill a bath as fast
as a decent storage system.

I told you he has never seen one. The Alpha CD50 fills a bath as fast as
any cylinder system. Ideal, Potterton, Eco-Hometec, Viessmann, etc
fills baths within a couple of minutes.

This will be your idea of a bath - just big enough for a PORG and 'filled'
to about 6" worth of tepid water?

I wonder how he is getting on with his electric cabers?

Have you ever seen a bath? Or had one?

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
nemo

Jim wrote:
Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They
should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises
concerned?

His 'one

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances and call in

proper gorgi fitter. This DIY at its worse I tell you.

DIY gas is illegal! Gas Act 1969! Although I don't see how short-legged
little dogs could do any better.

nemo

Doctor Evil wrote:
[...]

I didn't know any sailors, ducky, but I do understand from the ghost of the
highly steamed Mr. Spike Milligan, that nowadays they have Government Health
Warnings printed on the tails of their shirts. It's more humane than
tattooing it in the operative location!

And I do remember that the only fast food chains we had were Lyons, based on
the NAAFI, or as we called them, Lyonziz - beans on toast and a cuppa tea
for a shillin (5p)! - and Black and While Milk Bars. Art Deco and full of
spotty teenagers before they were even called that.

And don't forget steaming gins, trams, trolleybuses, getting engulfed in
steam from goods trains when standing on the gratings in the middle of
Euston Road, blood and custard BR Scammel artics, small 3-wheeled Scammel
vans - there were hundreds of those about - bicycles with small engines
inside the back wheel or atop the front, listening to The Goon Show on the
Home Service on a Ferguson valve wireless on top of the meat-safe in the
kitchen, British motorbikes that sounded like motorbikes instead of sewing
machines, . . . . . the end is listless!

nemo

news

Doctor Evil wrote:
I've measured the flow and it's a bit over 2 litres per minute.

Are you sure its is 2 litres./min? That is a dribble.

It's a combi. ;-)

You obviously lack familiarity - they are not _that_ bad.

The OP may have meant 2 gals/ minute = 9 litre/min which
given he says it's hot is fine.

Nope. 2 litres - and yes - it is a dribble.