Default Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location

My neighbour has had a cooker hood installed and the flue has been
sited at head height on the boundary wall between his house and mine.
The issue being that every time he cooks the fumes travel into my house
should I have my french doors or downstairs windows open.

Also he has had his gas boiler replaced - this was positioned with the
flue through the same boundary wall, I did not think this was allowed
and asked him to consult the installer - soon after the flue was
re-positiond, however, even though I think the flue now meets the regs
I get the smell of exhaust gases travelling into my house should I have
my french doors or downstairs windows open, there is also the constant
irritating whine of the fan.

Can anyone advise me if there are any regulations that cover the
positioning of extractor and gas boiler flues, the nuisence of smells
and the constant whine from the boiler fan.

Thanks

Kev

Christian McArdle

My neighbour has had a cooker hood installed and the flue has been
sited at head height on the boundary wall between his house and mine.

He can't have anything pointing out of the party wall at you. Nothing about
regulations, he just doesn't own the land that he's situated the flue over.

Christian.

Is it as clear cut as that?

After speaking to him and asking him to re-site his extractor flue who
do i need to speak to when he does not move it.

Kev

Christian McArdle

After speaking to him and asking him to re-site his extractor flue who
do i need to speak to when he does not move it.

Firstly, I am not a lawyer and my advice is worth what you paid for it.
Secondly, disputes with neighbours can affect property resale value. If you
are thinking of moving in the next few years or decades, think very strongly
before proceeding.

Personally, I would:

1. Ask politely and give them time to make the arrangements (you've already
done this bit).
2. Write a letter (keeping a copy) giving them 2 months to remove the flue
from your property. It is important that if it goes to court that you prove
that you attempted the resolve the situation reasonably and have attempted
to mitigate costs. The letter is an essential part of this. DO NOT make any
threats in the letter, even of legal action.
3. If this fails, begin proceedings in the county court, remembering to
include the cost of court fees in the application, as it can be
difficult/impossible to add them later.

Christian.

Grumps

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Just to be completely clear; his kitchen wall is directly on the boundary?

yes, it is.

Kev

[...]

There has been a very similar thread on this recently in uk.legal.moderated.
The boiler flue does not meet the regs: it is in violation of BS5440-
(2000) and Building Regulations approved doc J since it should be no closer
than 600mm from a boundary - certainly not _on_ the boundary and
discharging over onto your side. _You_ can't get CORGI to take action over
that, but the neighbour (or whoever paid the fitter to install the boiler)
can. You could advise them of this and ask them to get CORGI to sort out
with the fitter who installed it to get it repositioned.

On your side you have the Nuisance Act (or so I was advised by CORGI tech
help - not that they are lawyers) which can be invoked by your
Environmental Health people if the flue (and extractor fan) are causing you
a, er, nuisance.

John,
As I said The boiler flue has been repositioned and now meets the regs
- It's just the noise thing with that!

It's the position of the cooker hood flue thats the big issue.

Kev

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 06:37 PM
Oil Boiler location options Dermot O'Loughlin UK diy 13 March 19th 05 06:01 PM
Boiler flue placement from conservatory -what regulations could I be breakjing? Ted UK diy 4 March 18th 05 11:00 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 08:32 AM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 05:21 PM