littleroots

Default Sheeting floorboards

I've got an old house with equally old floorboards that are in a bit of a
state. Am planning to cover them with board before re-carpeting but what's
the best material to use? Have used hardboard in the past but am also
considering plywood, chipboard, mdf.

Any thoughts? pros? cons? fixing materials?

thanks,

Tim

Mike

"littleroots" wrote in message
I've got an old house with equally old floorboards that are in a bit of a
state. Am planning to cover them with board before re-carpeting but what's
the best material to use? Have used hardboard in the past but am also
considering plywood, chipboard, mdf.

Any thoughts? pros? cons? fixing materials?

At least 6mm plywood laid over them for several weeks to form then glued to
them solidly is good for getting rid of creaks and so on, but obviously
tends to ruin the floorboards for future use and makes access underneath
impossible. MDF screwed down can actually amplify noises as it never moulds
itself to the floorboards but leaves nice drum like cavities. Hardboard
nailed down with clout nails is quite effective so I'd stick with that if
you've been happy in the past.