slow hot water tap

Old June 5th 05, 08:38 PM
keith

Default slow hot water tap

Please can someone tell me what to try first: The hot tap that fills the
bath is suddenly taking ages to fill the bath. Water coming out about half
what it did before.

Is this likely to be a washer to change or an airlock or something else -
what should I do first?

info:
-10 year old house, modern ho****er/central heating
-Other hot taps in house are OK (although I can't be sure as we don't turn
these on as much as the bath!)
-Wife reported a load gurgling when she turned the hot tap on
-Bath taps are mixer types
-I haven't learnt to do a tap washer yet...

Thanks

Old June 5th 05, 08:50 PM
Owain

keith wrote:
Please can someone tell me what to try first: The hot tap that fills the
bath is suddenly taking ages to fill the bath. Water coming out about half
what it did before.
Is this likely to be a washer to change or an airlock or something else -
what should I do first?
info:
-10 year old house, modern ho****er/central heating
-Other hot taps in house are OK (although I can't be sure as we don't turn
these on as much as the bath!)
-Wife reported a load gurgling when she turned the hot tap on
-Bath taps are mixer types
-I haven't learnt to do a tap washer yet...

My guess is the hot tap washer is stuck on its seating. What usually
happens is that the O-ring seals in the spiral mechanism fail due to
scale abrasion, letting water into the spiral. This causes the taps to
become difficult to turn on or off, increases wear in the spiral, and
may cause either leakage at the spindle at the top, or the tap will not
open at all.

If you go to www.screwfix.com and search for "tap reviver" you will get
what you need - replacement innards. You can usually re-use the old
handles if you want them to match.

You need to turn off the hot water (or mains cold, if you have a combi)
first. Take knob off tap. Remove tap innards with big spanner, holding
tap body steady with other big spanner, replace new tap innards, bask in
wifely admiration.

The following are instructions for changing the washer, but show the
inside of a tap clearly.
http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/washer_replace.htm
http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/taps_seats.htm
http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/webpages/308_309.htm

If you want to get a plumber in, it should not take him more than 20
minutes (provided he has a tap reviver kit on the van) and that includes
him drinking his coffee.

Owain
Old June 6th 05, 08:40 PM
keith

Thanks, will take a look and see if it's OK for me to do. I'll look under
the bath for a valve to turn off the supply to the hot tap. If I can't find
it should there be one near the hot water cylinder?

Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 04:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 7 January 25th 04 08:43 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 10:59 PM