Ralph Corderoy

Default Silicone Grease Not Found. Vaseline as an Alternative?

Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute? I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

This all came about because the bath taps were getting quite stiff to
turn. After disassembling and thorough cleaning they're much better,
but that's without replacing the grease that was there. I now find that
when the metal body gets very hot the tap drips unless turned off very
hard. If I leave it dripping it slowly stops by itself over an hour as
the tap cools down. Given the only difference before and after is my
not replacing the grease I want to do that before investigating further.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Grunff

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease?

Any of the sheds, any plumbers merchant.

Is Vaseline an OK substitute?

Not really.

I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

Then use silicone grease.

--
Grunff

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute? I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

Do you have and SCUBA Diving shops locally? They'll sell it. They'll
probably charge you a fiver for a tiny tube or tub of it though.

Gordon
Grunff

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Do you have and SCUBA Diving shops locally? They'll sell it. They'll
probably charge you a fiver for a tiny tube or tub of it though.

The sheds (at least B&Q and Wickes) do sell it, honest. It's
usually with the push-fit waste fittings.

--
Grunff

Robin Prater

Ralph
Silicone grease is made by Ambersil Silicones. The type 6026 is used for
electrical work and available from RS components £2.35 a tube.
Robin
"Ralph Corderoy" wrote in message
[...]

Stuart

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:20:07 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers

They probably do sell it - only they may not realise it! Have a look
near the push fit waste fittings, and you will normally find a tub of
grease for assembling these. This is silicone grease.

that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Not if its going near a rubber seal or washer - it will cause it to degrade.

First lesson in safe sex-vaseline and condoms( rubber ) do not mix .:-))
Stuart
---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me
David W.E. Roberts

wrote:

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers

They probably do sell it - only they may not realise it! Have a look
near the push fit waste fittings, and you will normally find a tub of
grease for assembling these. This is silicone grease.

that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Not if its going near a rubber seal or washer - it will cause it to

degrade.

First lesson in safe sex-vaseline and condoms( rubber ) do not mix .:-))
Stuart

Only if you use the same condom for several years :-))

Stuart

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:31:33 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers

They probably do sell it - only they may not realise it! Have a look
near the push fit waste fittings, and you will normally find a tub of
grease for assembling these. This is silicone grease.

that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Not if its going near a rubber seal or washer - it will cause it to

degrade.

First lesson in safe sex-vaseline and condoms( rubber ) do not mix .:-))
Stuart

Only if you use the same condom for several years :-))

Not true-you put some Vaseline on a condom and you will be horrified how
quickly it rots .
Stuart
---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me
L Reid

"Ralph Corderoy" wrote in message
Hi,

This all came about because the bath taps were getting quite stiff to
turn. After disassembling and thorough cleaning they're much better,
but that's without replacing the grease that was there. I now find that
when the metal body gets very hot the tap drips unless turned off very
hard. If I leave it dripping it slowly stops by itself over an hour as
the tap cools down. Given the only difference before and after is my
not replacing the grease I want to do that before investigating further.

Would a lack of grease cause this behaviour? I also have a problem 'hot' tap
which I've replaced the washer in, because when the tap cools it begins to
leak (and then can be turned off further to stop the drip). However it's
still doing it (although less so) with a new washer.

Ed Sirett

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

[...]

Readily available from Screwfix - PArt No. 10631

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Grunff

OldScrawn wrote:

Some places only have the oil. But Radiospares does silicone grease. Maplins
and bes.ltd.uk too, I expect

Ok, but those two pots of silicone *grease* in my plumbing
toolbox, bought for around £2.50 each fro B&Q must be imaginary...

--
Grunff

Ralph Corderoy

Hi,

Readily available from Screwfix - PArt No. 10631

Thanks Ed, and the others that pointed out sources. 10631 is a little
large at 800g so I'm off back to B+Q to look at their push-fit waste
pipe section.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Grunff

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Thanks for perservering in pointing out B+Q supply it. Can you tell me
what it says on those two pots for £2.50, e.g. brand name, product name.

PolyPipe Plc., Silicone Lubricant Grease, 100g.

White pot, blue writing.

--
Grunff

Ralph Corderoy

Hi Grunff,

Thanks for perservering in pointing out B+Q supply it. Can you tell
me what it says on those two pots for £2.50, e.g. brand name,
product name.

PolyPipe Plc., Silicone Lubricant Grease, 100g. White pot, blue
writing.

Thanks. My local B+Q doesn't have it. The guy stocking the push-fit
waste pipe shelves knew what I meant but said he hadn't seen it for a
while. He suggested trying the `super store' B+Q at Bournemouth as
`they stock everything'.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ralph Corderoy

Hi Rod,

Ralph wrote:
Grunff wrote:
PolyPipe Plc., Silicone Lubricant Grease, 100g. White pot, blue
writing.

Thanks. My local B+Q doesn't have it. The guy stocking the
push-fit waste pipe shelves knew what I meant but said he hadn't
seen it for a while. He suggested trying the `super store' B+Q at
Bournemouth as `they stock everything'.

I can vouch for them having it in Slough B&Q Warehouse today - and
goddam expensive. £5.13 - apparently just gone up from around £3.
Think I might go elsewhere.....

The really big B+Q at Bournemouth didn't have it either; not out of
stock, their plumbing guy just said they don't stock it anymore,
although he agreed we were standing by their large push-fit waste
plumbing section.

I did finally find a small tube in Travis Perkins for about GBP6.00, and
a small tub for GBP36.00. Using the small tube seems to have done the
job so far on stopping the bath taps seizing up again and their dripping
when the metal has heated up.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers,

--
Ralph Corderoy. http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/ http://troff.org/
L Reid

Ralph wrote:
Grunff wrote:
PolyPipe Plc., Silicone Lubricant Grease, 100g. White pot, blue
writing.

Using the small tube seems to have done the
job so far on stopping the bath taps seizing up again and their dripping
when the metal has heated up.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers,

--
Ralph Corderoy.

Thanks for that Ralph, will try and get some myself to see if it'll stop my
taps dripping when heated too.

Walter

I tried to get silicone grease for my CD player recently - to help the
transport by greasing the 'rails'. However my tube (Servisol 50g at
£5.99 from an independent DIY source in Dorchester)seems not to
lubricate as well as previous samples. Indeed it seems to make the
movement stiffer! Are there different 'grades' of silicone grease and
does anyone know what I should be using for this task?