Silicone Grease Not Found. Vaseline as an Alternative?

Old August 12th 03, 02:02 PM
Ralph Corderoy

Default Silicone Grease Not Found. Vaseline as an Alternative?

Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute? I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

This all came about because the bath taps were getting quite stiff to
turn. After disassembling and thorough cleaning they're much better,
but that's without replacing the grease that was there. I now find that
when the metal body gets very hot the tap drips unless turned off very
hard. If I leave it dripping it slowly stops by itself over an hour as
the tap cools down. Given the only difference before and after is my
not replacing the grease I want to do that before investigating further.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Old August 12th 03, 02:09 PM
Grunff

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease?

Any of the sheds, any plumbers merchant.

Is Vaseline an OK substitute?

Not really.

I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

Then use silicone grease.

--
Grunff

Old August 12th 03, 02:30 PM
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute? I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

Do you have and SCUBA Diving shops locally? They'll sell it. They'll
probably charge you a fiver for a tiny tube or tub of it though.

Gordon
Old August 12th 03, 02:32 PM
Grunff

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Do you have and SCUBA Diving shops locally? They'll sell it. They'll
probably charge you a fiver for a tiny tube or tub of it though.

The sheds (at least B&Q and Wickes) do sell it, honest. It's
usually with the push-fit waste fittings.

--
Grunff

Old August 12th 03, 03:38 PM
Robin Prater

Ralph
Silicone grease is made by Ambersil Silicones. The type 6026 is used for
electrical work and available from RS components 2.35 a tube.
Robin

Old August 12th 03, 04:55 PM
Stuart

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:20:07 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers

They probably do sell it - only they may not realise it! Have a look
near the push fit waste fittings, and you will normally find a tub of
grease for assembling these. This is silicone grease.

that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Not if its going near a rubber seal or washer - it will cause it to degrade.

First lesson in safe sex-vaseline and condoms( rubber ) do not mix .:-))
Stuart
---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me
Old August 12th 03, 05:31 PM
David W.E. Roberts

wrote:

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers

They probably do sell it - only they may not realise it! Have a look
near the push fit waste fittings, and you will normally find a tub of
grease for assembling these. This is silicone grease.

that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Not if its going near a rubber seal or washer - it will cause it to

degrade.

First lesson in safe sex-vaseline and condoms( rubber ) do not mix .:-))
Stuart

Only if you use the same condom for several years :-))

Old August 12th 03, 06:02 PM
Stuart

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:31:33 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers

They probably do sell it - only they may not realise it! Have a look
near the push fit waste fittings, and you will normally find a tub of
grease for assembling these. This is silicone grease.

that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Not if its going near a rubber seal or washer - it will cause it to

degrade.

First lesson in safe sex-vaseline and condoms( rubber ) do not mix .:-))
Stuart

Only if you use the same condom for several years :-))

Not true-you put some Vaseline on a condom and you will be horrified how
quickly it rots .
Stuart
---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me