Hamie

Default B&Q Compound Sliding Mitre Saws

Doe anyone have an opinion of the B&Q compound cliding mitre saws? Are
they any good at all? Not for professional work, but I have a loft
conversion to finish (And a deck to build) and a few other things that
require some decent mitres so am thinking of buying one (Jey any excuse
to buy more tools .

They have a redeye 1200W and another 1800W at only 99.99 at the moment.
And a big 250mm job at 169.00 (All with laser sighting, The expensive
one with dual lines (I'm assuming the lasers track either side of the
blade).

Are these redeye and proline stuff any good at all? Are they tight &
accurate at their angles?

TIA

Hamish.
Mike

"Hamie" wrote in message

Doe anyone have an opinion of the B&Q compound cliding mitre saws?

Yes - they're cheap but are killed easily. Fortunately they have a three
year warranty which keeps the blade nice and sharp when you take it back :-)

Are
they any good at all? Not for professional work, but I have a loft
conversion to finish (And a deck to build) and a few other things that
require some decent mitres so am thinking of buying one (Jey any excuse
to buy more tools .

They're fine for home use - but don't cut mature hardwood as the motor
bearing dies :-(

Are these redeye and proline stuff any good at all?

No - I think they do it without as well now.

Are they tight & accurate at their angles?

No - make a test cut every time

AlexW

Mike wrote:
"Hamie" wrote in message

Doe anyone have an opinion of the B&Q compound cliding mitre saws?

Yes - they're cheap but are killed easily. Fortunately they have a three
year warranty which keeps the blade nice and sharp when you take it back :-)

The 1800w ones are actually quite difficult to kill. I have an old one
used by a builder for a couple of years and then given to me, it still
going although I don't use it much now.

Accuracy is more a important issue with big shed mitre saws IMO.

See http://tinyurl.com/78txc and http://tinyurl.com/9fr6v for some
discussion of this stuff.

Are
they any good at all? Not for professional work, but I have a loft
conversion to finish (And a deck to build) and a few other things that
require some decent mitres so am thinking of buying one (Jey any excuse
to buy more tools .

They're fine for home use - but don't cut mature hardwood as the motor
bearing dies :-(

Are these redeye and proline stuff any good at all?

I have had two of the 8" ones, both crap IMO, would not reccomend as
they have design faults IMO.

No - I think they do it without as well now.

Are they tight & accurate at their angles?

No - make a test cut every time

I guess this means every time you set an angle. Beware though one of the
B&Q 8" redeye's would only get to about 44deg tilt, which makes it
useless.

On the positive (?) side, the five saws I had from B&Q were all refunded
or exchanged with little fuss. In the end I bought a DeWALT DW707
without laser etc, more pricey, but better cuts, which was what I
wanted. If you are interested http://diytools.com/ are doing them at
£234 at the moment, which is a good deal.

HTH,

Alex.