how to drain a hot water pipe

Old June 4th 05, 09:30 PM
[email protected]

Default how to drain a hot water pipe

I need to install a 22mm tee to my new en-suite but I have no way of
draining the 22mm pipe completely. Anyone have any good ideas on how to
do this?

There are no compression joints to losen...

Thanks.

Old June 4th 05, 09:54 PM
andrewpreece

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to install a 22mm tee to my new en-suite but I have no way of
draining the 22mm pipe completely. Anyone have any good ideas on how to
do this?

There are no compression joints to losen...

Thanks.

Two ways, first is you cut the pipe in half at its lowest point, drain it,
then install a compression coupler so next time you'll be able to drain
it without all this palaver.

Second way, a bit unreliable, is to open the pipe up back along somewhere,
then open the relevant tap, fit some kind of rubber pipe to it, then blow
like
hell into the end. Very hard. Possibly until you see stars*. This may shift
the
pooled water so you are able to desolder the present solder fitting which is
at the moment proving impossible to desolder because of the pooled water
( am I guessing your problem correctly? ).

* If you have a heart attack or burst a blood vessel, don't blame me! ;-)

Andy.

Old June 4th 05, 11:13 PM
Set Square

I need to install a 22mm tee to my new en-suite but I have no way of
draining the 22mm pipe completely. Anyone have any good ideas on how
to do this?

There are no compression joints to losen...

Thanks.

This is presumably a hot water feed from the airing cupboard to an existing
bathroom and/or kitchen, and you wish to tee into it?

Is there an isolating valve in the feed pipe from the cold header tank to
the bottom of the hot cylinder? If so, turn that off and then open all (up
and down) hot taps. That should pretty much drain the pipes, but may leave a
small amount at any low points.

I would suggest using a copper push-fit tee such as
http://tinyurl.com/dqmbg In order to fit *any* tee, you'll need a bit of end
float in the pipe once you've cut it. Decide where the tee is the go, and
clean up the existing pipe in this region with wire wool. Mark the short
length of pipe which needs to be cut out to accommodate the tee. In the
centre of this section, as low as possible, drill a small hole - about 1/8"
diameter and catch any water which comes out in a suitable container. [A
foil take-away food container is ideal. If there is more than one
containerful, put a finger over the hole while you empty it into a larger
bowl.]

When no more water comes out, cut out the section of pipe containing the
hole using a ratchet-type pipe cutter such as http://tinyurl.com/cntae -
which can be used in a confined space. *Do not* use a hacksaw. Then you can
fit the tee, and take a supply to your en-suite.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old June 4th 05, 11:13 PM
nick smith

Or...

Partly cut the pipe with a wet and dry vacuum underneath to catch the drips,
when stopped cut all the way through, then apply full vacuum to each cut end to
SUCK all the water through out of the pipe. Also removes airlocks by sucking
them through

Nick

Old June 4th 05, 11:41 PM
Capitol

Wet & Dry vacuum cleaner, to suck water out of the pipe.

Regards
Capitol
Old June 5th 05, 12:05 AM
Dave

John Stumbles wrote:

OTOH if the pipe you're teeing
into is neatly positioned in the middle of 3 run side by side then you're
stymied as you can't tighten the nuts on the compression fitting.

Strap wrench, chain wrench will do this on a compression fitting. All
you have to do before hand, is compress the olives on a dummy pipe
fitting and then fit them in situ, using a strap wrench to tighten them
up :-)

HTH

Dave
Old June 5th 05, 02:04 PM
nick smith

as I suggested previously...............

Nick

Old June 7th 05, 11:27 AM
Chris McBrien

Providing you are able to cut the 22mm pipe without flooding the place. Now
use a length of that transparent polythene pipe, as used in Wine making. Now
poke this down the 22mm. pipe as far as you need to and suck on the end and
allow it to syphon out the residual water or perhaps blow it out.

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD