Tony

Default Sodium Lighting

I want to put some exterior lighting round my house and I was looking at
some sodium lighting units. The price difference is huge compared to
standard lighting. Anyone know why?

Tony

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Tony" writes:
I want to put some exterior lighting round my house and I was looking at
some sodium lighting units. The price difference is huge compared to
standard lighting. Anyone know why?

Running costs are very low (including relamping costs).
In the circumstancies where they are normally used, that
is the primary concern, and they are not sold into markets
where the purchase price is a particularly sensitive area
(installation cost will normally swamp that).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mark

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 14:12:22 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

I want to put some exterior lighting round my house and I was looking at
some sodium lighting units. The price difference is huge compared to
standard lighting. Anyone know why?

Tony

Because they are nomally used in people's lofts and spare rooms for
growing tomatoes.... ;-)

They take a while to warm up (streelights) so if you came out of the
door you'd still be in the dark. They get very hot and close up the
light output is very strong. The bulbs themselves are expensive and
as they need a ballast to power them the costs of each unit add up
making them expensive compared to say a 150W cheap security light from
B&Q etc.

Mark S.