Bert Coules

Default Earthing a kitchen sink - what size cable?

I'm about to install the (stainless steel) sink in my new kitchen, and
of course the spec sheet that came with the sink mentions the need to
earth it. However, I can't find any guideline as to what gauge of
earth wire I should use: can anyone give me an idea? As a
starting-point: I have a lot of gash 1.5mm2 lighting cable: would the
earth conductor from that (suitably sheathed of course) be sufficient?

Many thanks.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules wrote:
I'm about to install the (stainless steel) sink in my new kitchen,

and
of course the spec sheet that came with the sink mentions the need to
earth it. However, I can't find any guideline as to what gauge of
earth wire I should use: can anyone give me an idea? As a
starting-point: I have a lot of gash 1.5mm2 lighting cable: would the
earth conductor from that (suitably sheathed of course) be

sufficient?

16mm2, and it must be earthed withn 2m of the sink, so you may have to
take a tile up to get an earth rod in as well.

NT

Bert Coules

NT,

16mm2...

OK, thanks for that.

...and it must be earthed within 2m of the sink,
so you may have to take a tile up to get an earth
rod in as well.

There's no earth anywhere near two metres of the sink in any direction
including straight down. Does the sink have to have a *direct*
independent connection to actual earth? The rest of the internal
copper pipework is earthed back to the consumer unit (in very hefty
cable, which I take to be 16mm2) and thence to the incoming supply's
earth; surely it would be sufficient to bond the sink to the nearest
available copper pipe?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

BigWallop

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
NT,

16mm2...

OK, thanks for that.

...and it must be earthed within 2m of the sink,
so you may have to take a tile up to get an earth
rod in as well.

There's no earth anywhere near two metres of the sink in any direction
including straight down. Does the sink have to have a *direct*
independent connection to actual earth? The rest of the internal
copper pipework is earthed back to the consumer unit (in very hefty
cable, which I take to be 16mm2) and thence to the incoming supply's
earth; surely it would be sufficient to bond the sink to the nearest
available copper pipe?

Bert

Aren't the pipes bonded? Or are they plastic? If the pipework is copper, then
they should already have earth straps and green/yellow wire to them. If they
have been bonded, then connect the sink to one of the straps.

Tim Morley

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
NT,

16mm2...

OK, thanks for that.

...and it must be earthed within 2m of the sink,
so you may have to take a tile up to get an earth
rod in as well.

There's no earth anywhere near two metres of the sink in any direction
including straight down. Does the sink have to have a *direct*
independent connection to actual earth? The rest of the internal
copper pipework is earthed back to the consumer unit (in very hefty
cable, which I take to be 16mm2) and thence to the incoming supply's
earth; surely it would be sufficient to bond the sink to the nearest
available copper pipe?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Yes, 4mm2 between sink and hot/cold pipes. I usualy also go to nearest
socket too to be 100%. But in no way is 16mm2 needed to your sink!

BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

Should have added that you use the same gauge cable that is already on the earth
straps. :-)

Mary Fisher

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
I'm about to install the (stainless steel) sink in my new kitchen, and
of course the spec sheet that came with the sink mentions the need to
earth it.

I'm probably being extremely ignorant/innocent here but why do you need to
earth a sink?

Is it to use with the electric hammer?

Mary

Bert Coules

BigWallop,

Thanks for the reply.

Aren't the pipes bonded? Or are they plastic?

No, the internal pipework is all copper and it is bonded, but not
under the kitchen sink. The connection is in the bathroom.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Tim,

Yes, 4mm2 between sink and hot/cold pipes.

Thanks, Tim. Is that a cable from the sink to, say, the cold pipe and
a jumper cable connecting the cold pipework to the hot?

But in no way is 16mm2 needed to your sink!

It did seem a tad large, I admit.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Mary,

I'm probably being extremely ignorant/innocent here but why
do you need to earth a sink?

I agree that on the face of it it seems an odd requirement, but it
just seems simpler not to argue, really. I would be interested in an
idiot's-guide explanation as to why it's necessary, if anyone would be
kind enough...

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Presumably the theory is that it's possible inadvertently to touch
something live with one hand and the sink with another, so

Is it to use with the electric hammer?

Mary

Tim Morley

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Tim,

Yes, 4mm2 between sink and hot/cold pipes.

Thanks, Tim. Is that a cable from the sink to, say, the cold pipe and
a jumper cable connecting the cold pipework to the hot?

Yes, I never cut my cables. used to strip off insulation and then fit to
earth clamp by removing the screw completely to put wire under efore
tightening up again.(if that makes sense!)

But in no way is 16mm2 needed to your sink!

It did seem a tad large, I admit.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I never cut my cables. used to strip off insulation and then fit to
earth clamp by removing the screw completely to put wire under

before
tightening up again.(if that makes sense!)

It does, except for the bit about never cutting your cables. You must
cut them to length, surely?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Stefek Zaba

Bert Coules wrote:

I agree that on the face of it it seems an odd requirement, but it
just seems simpler not to argue, really. I would be interested in an
idiot's-guide explanation as to why it's necessary, if anyone would be
kind enough...

We've been through this multiple times - as a groups.google.com look in
uk.d-i-y will show. No-one's yet been arrassed to put the Conclusion in
the FAQ.

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site guide
goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it doesn't just
not mention sinks under 'things wot must be earthed'; after that list,
it gives another list of 'things wot you might think must be earthed but
for which there ain't no such requirement'. And kitchen sinks is on that
second list.

But there's a widely-read trade 'Bible', Whitfield's Guide-to-the-Regs,
wot makes a big song and dance about what a good idea it is to earth a
kitchen sink. It doesn't put the other side of the case - that providing
a well-earthed sink to lean against (especially if you're in
bare-midriff mode: middle-aged male uk.d-i-y'er on the rare hot day of
summer, or fashion-conscious female young in (actual or virtual) years)
you increase the harm from a touch-something-live fault.

Bottom line - it's arguable both ways, and with copper piping you're
unlikely not to have it earthed thru the taps anyway. If you want to
either bond it explicitly to the pipework, or earth it to a nearby
socket, go ahead; but you won't find any authoritative cable size to
use, because the only authoritative source doesn't require it to be done.

Stefek

Bert Coules wrote:
NT,

16mm2...

OK, thanks for that.

...and it must be earthed within 2m of the sink,
so you may have to take a tile up to get an earth
rod in as well.

There's no earth anywhere near two metres of the sink in any

direction
including straight down. Does the sink have to have a *direct*
independent connection to actual earth? The rest of the internal
copper pipework is earthed back to the consumer unit (in very hefty
cable, which I take to be 16mm2) and thence to the incoming supply's
earth; surely it would be sufficient to bond the sink to the nearest
available copper pipe?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Poor Bert, you took my reply seriously- and that of many other
contributors here. There is no requirement or reason to earth a kitchen
sink.

I thought from my description you'd realise it was not serious.

NT

Sparks

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Bert Coules wrote:

[...]

I have a metal sink, well two actally, and they are completly isolated from
earth for this reason, It's how my dads brother died many many years ago...

Sparks...

Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site guide
goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it doesn't just
not mention sinks under 'things wot must be earthed'; after that list, it
gives another list of 'things wot you might think must be earthed but for
which there ain't no such requirement'. And kitchen sinks is on that
second list.

Phew! I'll tell Spouse. When I asked him about it he said that neither of
ours is earthed and he thought it was a nonsense but, he said, it WAS a
requirement. It will be good to tell him that it's not :-)

Mary

Sparks

Poor Bert, you took my reply seriously- and that of many other
contributors here. There is no requirement or reason to earth a kitchen
sink.

I thought from my description you'd realise it was not serious.

FWIW I didn't see any indication of you joking!

A little :-) may have helped a bit!

Mary Fisher

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

Poor Bert, you took my reply seriously- and that of many other
contributors here. There is no requirement or reason to earth a kitchen
sink.

I thought from my description you'd realise it was not serious.

FWIW I didn't see any indication of you joking!

A little :-) may have helped a bit!

No, it's funnier without. Well, the result usually is ...

Mary

:-)

Bert Coules

Poor Bert, you took my reply seriously...

Hey, I can't help it if I'm a naturally trusting soul.

Anyone want to buy a reel of 16mm2 earth cable?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Stefek Zaba wrote:

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink...

Thanks for that. Assuming, of course, that you're not joking.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

John Rumm

Stefek Zaba wrote:

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site guide
goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it doesn't just
not mention sinks under 'things wot must be earthed'; after that list,
it gives another list of 'things wot you might think must be earthed but
for which there ain't no such requirement'. And kitchen sinks is on that
second list.

For the record: Page 26, section 4.6 (refers to regulation 471-08-01)

There is no specific requirements in BS7671 to supplementary bond the
following

Kitchen pipes, sinks, or draining boards

metal furniture in kitchens

metal pipes and and wash hand basins in domestic locations
other than bathrooms

--
Cheers,

John.

BigWallop

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
BigWallop,

Thanks for the reply.

Aren't the pipes bonded? Or are they plastic?

No, the internal pipework is all copper and it is bonded, but not
under the kitchen sink. The connection is in the bathroom.

Bert

Is there no earth bonding hidden behind kitchen cupboards or even under the
floor boards somewhere? The bonding straps could have been placed where the
pipework enters the kitchen, rather than being close to the sink itself. Check
along the full length of the pipework from the sink to where pipes disappear out
of the kitchen.

I would advise testing the bonding, but that is not really going to help to
much, so I'll just say then, that it's worth placing a bonding strap on each of
the cold and hot pipework, and then on to the sink in the kitchen. You say
there are bonding points already on the pipework in the bathroom, so this shows
that at least some of the pipes are connected, and it means the kitchen might
also be bonded but the earthing straps and hidden somewhere. Time to get the
torch out. :-)

BigWallop

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I never cut my cables. used to strip off insulation and then fit to
earth clamp by removing the screw completely to put wire under

before
tightening up again.(if that makes sense!)

It does, except for the bit about never cutting your cables. You must
cut them to length, surely?

Bert

No really Bert, it means just stripping the insulation off at the point on the
cable you're going to connect to the clamp. Cut around the insulation about an
inch or so apart, then slit the insulation along the length between the cuts, so
the insulation can be pulled apart and lifted off. You then bend the bared
section of cable around the screw and insert the screw back in to the earth
strap. This way the cable is never cut fully through, and so each point
benefits from having the full unbroken cable to every point on the bonding loop.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...
On 15 May,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site guide
goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it doesn't just
not mention sinks under 'things wot must be earthed'; after that list,
it
gives another list of 'things wot you might think must be earthed but
for
which there ain't no such requirement'. And kitchen sinks is on that
second list.

Phew! I'll tell Spouse. When I asked him about it he said that neither of
ours is earthed and he thought it was a nonsense but, he said, it WAS a
requirement. It will be good to tell him that it's not :-)

Didn't edition 15 of the wiring regs insist on /anything/ metal /anywhere/
having to be earthed? Or was that only the general conception of it?

We talked over breakfast about this. I hope you're not right or my desk
(legs), filing cabinets, birdseed feeders, bed and gardening tools will have
to be connected. I'm glad I don't wear jewellery.

Now, about my fillings ...

Mary

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Sparks wrote:
NT:

Poor Bert, you took my reply seriously- and that of many other
contributors here. There is no requirement or reason to earth a

kitchen
sink.

I thought from my description you'd realise it was not serious.

FWIW I didn't see any indication of you joking!

A little :-) may have helped a bit!

I thought the idea of digging up the floor under every sink to put in
earth rods, connecting them with 16mm2, and the evident implied
illegality of a sink anywhere but on the ground floor would make it all
obvious. As usual I was wrong.

NT

Bert Coules wrote:
Poor Bert, you took my reply seriously...

Hey, I can't help it if I'm a naturally trusting soul.

Anyone want to buy a reel of 16mm2 earth cable?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

lol! Even funnier. I'm sure you didnt.

NT

Bert Coules

NT,

lol! Even funnier. I'm sure you didnt.

You know, thinking about it, I reckon the reason I was taken in is
that I have great difficulty in visualising measurements in metric.
If you'd told me to use cable that was two-thirds of an inch, I
believe I'd have seen the joke straight away. Maybe.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Tim Morley

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

Better explained than me, I was in a rush! Idea being if one connection
comes loose you dont loose the bonding to all parts.

Joe

John Rumm wrote:
Stefek Zaba wrote:

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site guide
goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it doesn't
just not mention sinks under 'things wot must be earthed'; after that
list, it gives another list of 'things wot you might think must be
earthed but for which there ain't no such requirement'. And kitchen
sinks is on that second list.

For the record: Page 26, section 4.6 (refers to regulation 471-08-01)

There is no specific requirements in BS7671 to supplementary bond the
following

Kitchen pipes, sinks, or draining boards

metal furniture in kitchens

metal pipes and and wash hand basins in domestic locations
other than bathrooms

Nonetheless, kitchen sink bonding is being taught to practicing
electricians, probably by NICEIC et al.

A few months ago, I was one of those who asked about this, as I
was having a kitchen installed and was told it was a requirement.
Having asked here and got opinions from people I trust (!), I
said I wasn't interested in having it done. The fitter then said
he'd quote a private price, not the official one for the kitchen
supply company.

I bought an On Site Guide, and left it laying around. The fitter
pointed out it said 2004 and these were new regulations. I
confirmed this edition was the one on the IEE website. We left
it at that. My wife still wasn't sure I was right.

Eventually the fitter did the work anyway, at no cost, as he said
he would not get the work signed off by his visiting inspector
if he didn't. He was clearly aware that the work was unnecessary
in principle but necessary from the point of view of his getting
paid.

Sure enough, when the electrician arrived to check some moved
sockets, he looked for the bonding. Prompted by the fitter, he
told me it was necessary for safety. One assumes that the
'self-certifying' organisations are pushing this kind of thing
to increase profits from the unwary. It doesn't say much for
their integrity.
Lobster

Joe wrote:

Stefek Zaba wrote:

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site
guide goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it

Nonetheless, kitchen sink bonding is being taught to practicing
electricians, probably by NICEIC et al.

snip

Sure enough, when the electrician arrived to check some moved
sockets, he looked for the bonding. Prompted by the fitter, he
told me it was necessary for safety. One assumes that the
'self-certifying' organisations are pushing this kind of thing
to increase profits from the unwary. It doesn't say much for
their integrity.

I doubt it's as nefarious as that, I think it's just ignorance. When I
had a sparks round a few months ago to vet a rewiring job of mine, he
insisted upon kitchen sink bonding (I'd deliberately not done it); have
to say I didn't argue with him. This guy isn't (or at least wasn't,
pre-Part P) a NICEIC member - he hates them with a vengeance actually!
He didn't charge me any more for coming back to check it later, so it
wasn't a profiteering exercise.

David

Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink.

Thinking about this, why should there be?

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Mary

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Unless the are plastic.... or cocooned in PTFE tape!

--
Cheers,

John.

Sparks

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Unless the are plastic.... or cocooned in PTFE tape!

Or maounted in the worktop like mine are!

Sparks...

Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Unless the are plastic.... or cocooned in PTFE tape!

Hmm. Hadn't thought about that - never seen it...

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

tony sayer

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Unless the are plastic.... or cocooned in PTFE tape!

Hmm. Hadn't thought about that - never seen it...

Mary

Pardon me sticking me Oar in, but I could have sworn blind that I read
on some IEE website somewhere, not that long ago, that it wasn't good
practice to earth the kitchen sink.

Something to do with it "might not be a good idea to make a better earth
than what otherwise might be" or something like that?.

Course that might be total bollox but If anyone can expand on that....
--
Tony Sayer

Mary Fisher

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Pardon me sticking me Oar in,

Oh please don't do that, they'll expect me to!

Mary

BigWallop

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Mary
Fisher writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Unless the are plastic.... or cocooned in PTFE tape!

Hmm. Hadn't thought about that - never seen it...

Mary

Pardon me sticking me Oar in, but I could have sworn blind that I read
on some IEE website somewhere, not that long ago, that it wasn't good
practice to earth the kitchen sink.

Something to do with it "might not be a good idea to make a better earth
than what otherwise might be" or something like that?.

Course that might be total bollox but If anyone can expand on that....
--
Tony Sayer

(IEE Safety Extract)

Voltage alone doesn't kill; it is different voltages between different parts of
the body, and the resulting currents, that can prove injurious or fatal. As
earlier, under certain fault conditions, parts of the earthing system in the
house may not be at earth potential but significantly above it. The
equipotential bonding system is intended to ensure that, if this happens, the
voltage between items of equipment at arm's length never reaches a harmful
level. Without equipotential bonding, a serious short circuit in the house could
cause a significant voltage on the metalwork of an electric kettle while the
kitchen tap close to it remained at true earth. Putting an earthing connection,
an equipotential bond, between the kitchen sink and the earth terminal of the
kitchen ring main prevents that dangerous voltage occurring and ensures that the
tap is at the same voltage as the body of the kettle.

There are two aspects to the equipotential bonding; the main bonding where
services enter the building and supplementary bonding within rooms, particularly
kitchens and bathrooms. Main bonding should interconnect the incoming gas, water
and electricity service where these are metallic but can be omitted where the
services are run in plastic, as is frequently the case nowadays. Internally,
bonding should link any items which are likely to either be at earth potential
or which may become live in the event of a fault and which are either gripable
or sufficiently large that they can contact a significant part of the body.
Small parts, other than those likely to be gripped, are ignored because the
instinctive reaction to a shock is muscular contraction, which will break the
circuit.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:24:06 +0100, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

providing a well-earthed sink to lean against [...] fashion-conscious
female young in (actual or virtual) years)
you increase the harm from a touch-something-live fault.

Rename that as the Chav-O-Cutor and I think you have a winner!