David Pearson

Default Between rafters insulation - cheaper then Celotex?

G'day.

I have a single-storey extension, with a shiny new roof
(the old one was described by the roofer as "a bit ripe").
The old ceiling was a rotten mess, due to the leaks in the
old roof, so I have pulled it all down and chucked it out.

Now I have a room with exposed rafters and sarking, which
I need to insulate before hanging a new ceiling.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I plan to put between-rafters
insulating stuff ... er, between the rafters, and make the
new ceiling out of plasterboard nailed to the rafters.

The roofer recommended Celotex insulating slabs,
but I am a wee bit gobsmacked at how expensive this
stuff is. I am quoted 31 quid + VAT for an 8x2 slab
(8x2 in feet), which works out at over 300 quid for my
3x3 (metres this time, excuse me) room (rafters 40 cm
apart). That is only for 1 layer, and I need a second layer
to meet the building regs! Even worse, I have a second room
to re-ceiling under the new roof. So I am looking at more than
1200 quid to insulate the roof, on top of all the plaster-
board etc.

So, if anyone can help me out with some advice on
cheap, but still good enough, insulation, I will be very
happy.

Regards,
David Pearson
(got a lovely roof, but no money, in Taunton)

Lobster

David Pearson wrote:
So, if anyone can help me out with some advice on
cheap, but still good enough, insulation, I will be very
happy.

If you're going to insulate using Celotex, try contacting
http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ for a price (I think they just do
Kingspan, but hey). It's what it says on the tin - seconds - but is
perfectly OK and a lot cheaper than your local builder's merchant.

David
Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
David Pearson wrote:
So, if anyone can help me out with some advice on
cheap, but still good enough, insulation, I will be very
happy.

If you're going to insulate using Celotex, try contacting
http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ for a price (I think they just do
Kingspan, but hey). It's what it says on the tin - seconds - but is
perfectly OK and a lot cheaper than your local builder's merchant.

I was going to say that :-) Excellent company (no connection)

And if you are hanging the ceiling independently of it so don't need it to
be too flat or consistent, ask if they've got anything suitable. I got a
huge load of 2.4*1.2m at 120mm thick for £10 a piece so you'd only need 3 or
4 of them to meet the regs.

Meanwhile I've got the warmest barn in town :-)

philip cosson

You could try actis tri iso super 9.
http://www.tri-isosuper9.co.uk/product_benifits.htm or
http://www.enigma-insulations.co.uk/actis.html

You staple it on the underside of rafters and use 25mm roofing battens to
secure 12.5mm plasterboards to finish the roof. - or you could use a
suspended ceiling.

Incredibly easy to use. about £11 per square meter. comes on 10 or 20 meter
rolls 1500mm wide.

Celotex don't like it!

Philip

"Mike" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
David Pearson wrote:
So, if anyone can help me out with some advice on
cheap, but still good enough, insulation, I will be very
happy.

If you're going to insulate using Celotex, try contacting
http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ for a price (I think they just do
Kingspan, but hey). It's what it says on the tin - seconds - but is
perfectly OK and a lot cheaper than your local builder's merchant.

I was going to say that :-) Excellent company (no connection)

And if you are hanging the ceiling independently of it so don't need it to
be too flat or consistent, ask if they've got anything suitable. I got a
huge load of 2.4*1.2m at 120mm thick for £10 a piece so you'd only need 3
or
4 of them to meet the regs.

Meanwhile I've got the warmest barn in town :-)

Autolycus

re-arranging to a moderately sensible sequence:

David Pearson wrote:
So, if anyone can help me out with some advice on
cheap, but still good enough, insulation, I will be very
happy

then

"philip cosson" wrote in message
You could try actis tri iso super 9.
http://www.tri-isosuper9.co.uk/product_benifits.htm or

Would you buy anything from a supplier whose technical knowledge is such
that they can include in their "definitions"

Heat/Warmth: Impression, feeling of comfort. State of matter
characterised by the internal movement of matter characterised by
internal movement of constituant particles

or indeed:

Desibel (db): Transformation of water vapour into droplets (fog,dew)

?
This is in keeping with the literacy level of the rest of their site.

Celotex don't like it!

not so impressed, myself.

I would urge anyone contemplating insulation of a roof or wall not to do
so until they've thoroughly understood "warm/cold" roof principles and
thought through where condensation, including interstitial condensation,
will occur.

I note, incidentally, that Screwfix have corrected in the latest
catalogue (78) the error in 77 which claimed their Protect A1 roofing
felt to be breathable. I wonder how many sweating roofs there will be
as a result of that little misunderstanding.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

fred

In article , philip cosson
writes
You could try actis tri iso super 9.
http://www.tri-isosuper9.co.uk/product_benifits.htm or
http://www.enigma-insulations.co.uk/actis.html

Snake oil, avoid.
--
fred
The Natural Philosopher

David Pearson wrote:

[...]

Yiu WILL need an equivalent product,but in the quanitires you want, you
should be able to get the price down by 40-50%.

Phone around all 'insulation suppliers' in yellow pages, and start
talking deals.
al

"Autolycus" wrote in message
I note, incidentally, that Screwfix have corrected in the latest catalogue
(78) the error in 77 which claimed their Protect A1 roofing felt to be
breathable. I wonder how many sweating roofs there will be as a result of
that little misunderstanding.

I just bought some of that to staple up to my rafters to keep the attic a
little cleaner and provide very minor thermal insulation. I was under the
impression that it could be used on its own without causing condensation.
I'm only planning to come down to about 1m from the eves with it rather than
cover every last cm of the roof.

Mike

"philip cosson" wrote in message
You could try actis tri iso super 9.

Provided you don't mind most of the heat passing through the roof.

Rick

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:16 +0000 (UTC), "David Pearson"
wrote:

[...]

100mm thick in 8x4 slabs is 27-28 quid in B&Q (chester), 17-18 quid
for 50mm thick.

You will get the best compramise be doing 50mm between (leaving a
vented air gap below the saking), and 50mm below the rafters. Then put
the plasterboard onto that, to get a sloping ceiling.

Rick - who spent the weeknd puting the first bit of 1500 quids worth
of this stuff into his roof.

wrote:

[...]

Is that really Celotex? I just get blank looks when asking for it in
any of the sheds.

MBQ

Rick

wrote:

[...]

B&Q chester have a big sign on the door, cheepest kingspan anywhere,
and they are right.

Rick

tom patton

If only I had read this before spending £600 on 50mm Kingspan-----ah well
look on the bright side Ive got 100 square metres still to buy at half my
present price of £36 per 35mm board.

Rick wrote:

100mm thick in 8x4 slabs is 27-28 quid in B&Q (chester), 17-18

quid
for 50mm thick.

Is that really Celotex? I just get blank looks when asking for it in
any of the sheds.

MBQ

B&Q chester have a big sign on the door, cheepest kingspan anywhere,
and they are right.

Rick

Is that a normal B&Q or a Wharehouse?

MBQ

Mike

`
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rick wrote:

100mm thick in 8x4 slabs is 27-28 quid in B&Q (chester), 17-18

quid
for 50mm thick.

Is that really Celotex? I just get blank looks when asking for it in
any of the sheds.

MBQ

B&Q chester have a big sign on the door, cheepest kingspan anywhere,
and they are right.

Rick

Is that a normal B&Q or a Wharehouse?

None of the B&Qs (Warehouses or piddly little places) in Manchester have it.

Rick

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:47:27 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

`
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rick wrote:

100mm thick in 8x4 slabs is 27-28 quid in B&Q (chester), 17-18

quid
for 50mm thick.

Is that really Celotex? I just get blank looks when asking for it in
any of the sheds.

MBQ

B&Q chester have a big sign on the door, cheepest kingspan anywhere,
and they are right.

Rick

Is that a normal B&Q or a Wharehouse?

None of the B&Qs (Warehouses or piddly little places) in Manchester have it.

I have noticed this, I use stockpot a lot too, and they don't have
anywhere neer as much trade stuff as chester do.

David Pearson

Thanks everyone, for all the advice you have given.
Most useful.

-David Pearson (original poster)

Idea for crawl INSULATION falling down aaa Home Repair 12 July 16th 04 10:36 PM
Best Insulation Scheme for a Finish Attic? Daniel Rubin Home Repair 2 February 16th 04 06:46 PM
Condensation in roof Andrew UK diy 14 February 1st 04 10:04 PM
Best possible insulation for 2x4 walls? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 4 January 24th 04 12:40 PM
Effectiveness of Celotex/Kingspan insulation on rafters? Kim UK diy 1 September 5th 03 01:03 PM