Stephen

Default Decking support

Hi
I want to put some decking down over a section of lawn. From what I've
read, the normal approach is to sink uprights onto a concrete / brick
pad and then bolt joist across these to keep them above ground level.

As we want to combine the decking with a pergola, I was hoping to do the
following;

Sink several 10' x 4" posts 2' down into postcreted holes.

Then bolt 4"x2" joists to the uprights above ground level (this would
make it far easier to make sure the joists are level).

Finish off with decking bearers and decking itself, and add the pergola
cross pieces at the top.

This would create a fairly rigid and strong box structure, but mean that
the weight of the deck would be supported by the bolts going sideways
through the joists into the uprights (I suppose I could cut the joists
into the uprights but wondered if this would be necessary).

Has anyone tried this approach - any comment ?

Thanks
Stephen
David Lang

Hi Stephen

Sink several 10' x 4" posts 2' down into postcreted holes.

I built an 18' x 6' deck for my sister in law nearly 3 years ago. One long
egde and one short edge rest on 6" x 2" timbers fixed to walls. The other
two edges are supported by 4" x 4" posts as you describe.

Then bolt 4"x2" joists to the uprights above ground level (this would
make it far easier to make sure the joists are level).

Exactly what we did, posts at 4' intervals, joists held to them by 8 x 100
coach screws, 3 in each.

This would create a fairly rigid and strong box structure, but mean that
the weight of the deck would be supported by the bolts going sideways
through the joists into the uprights (I suppose I could cut the joists
into the uprights but wondered if this would be necessary).

If you think about it, not only do you have the strength of the bolts
(huge), you have the friction between the timber surfaces as well - 4" x 4".
The deck we built is immensly strong & rigid and hasn't moved a millimeter
in nearly 3 years.

HTH

Dave

Stephen

David Lang wrote:
Hi Stephen

[...]

Thanks - That helps a lot.
Only thing left of concern is the span - we want to put down an
octagonal deck - spacing uprights every 4 or 5 feet at the corners is no
problem, but there will be a span of over 10' across the deck. Does this
mean I'll have to put a central support in or do you think the joist
structure is enough ?
Stephen
David Lang

Hi

Only thing left of concern is the span - we want to put down an
octagonal deck - spacing uprights every 4 or 5 feet at the corners is no
problem, but there will be a span of over 10' across the deck. Does this
mean I'll have to put a central support in or do you think the joist
structure is enough ?

I suppose it depends on the structure. 4 x 2 or 6 x 3?

Floors in houses span much more than 10' without central supports don't
they. Personally I'd play it safe for what it would cost in time, effort &
money. That way it won't flex.

Dave

Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM
pulling up decking Dundonald UK diy 21 March 7th 05 09:48 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Composite decking: Trex or WeatherBest? Dave K. Home Repair 3 February 18th 04 03:12 AM
what depth support for decking? Zipadee Doodar UK diy 1 September 28th 03 05:09 PM