Tom

Default Plant tubs (Versailles Caisse) construction plans.

I'm looking for plans for constructing a "Versaille Caisse", I've googled
but have failed to find any instructions for constructing one. There are
many refs to "so-called VCs" however they are only square wood planters, and
do not appear to have the essential dismantling capabilities.
They have been used for large trees or shrubs and are unique in that they
can be dismantled in order to regenerate/recharge the compost.
I understand that they were designed so that one side of the wooden square
tubs could be removed, a vertical slice approx 2 inches was cut off the
rootball, the wood side was replaced and fresh compost was added to the 2
inch gap.
This was done every year to a different side of the Caisse.
The only description I have is taken from a gardening book.
I quote" In France they are usually made of oak and painted. They are
constructed of four panels secured to the four corner posts by eight flat
iron corner bands, which drop into slots formed by upturned pieces of metal,
of the same section, fitted into the posts. When the sides of the tub have
to be removed, the upper bar is first tapped upwards with a hammer out of
it's slots and then the lower bar removed in the same way. This makes one
side of the tub free so that it can be tapped away, exposing one side of the
root ball."

Does anyone have any plans or constructional details for these planters?

Regards
Tom

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 7 May 2005 19:46:50 +0100, "Tom"
wrote:

Does anyone have any plans or constructional details for these planters?

I doubt they're authentic, but I made a couple of these a few years ago.

They're four substantial corner posts, joined by four rails underneath
and large pegged mortice and tenon joints. The base is made from loose
boards, laid in a shallow rebate in the rails. You can chamfer the post
tops into pyramids, or turn a ball finial on them.

The sides are identical, a square frame with pegged bridle joints and an
infill panel of grooved boards. Tongue and grooving is too insubstantial
on a thin board outdoors, so simply veeing the edges on the table saw is
better. I recall seeing some in the Luxembourg (where I used to work
nearby, and stole the design from) that had diagonal boarding. That
probably looks best on a large one though.

The demountability is arranged by holding the panels in place with an
external strip of L angle iron. This should be hot rolled black steel,
not drawn, so as to leave the oxide film on it. Old bed frame is even
better. They're held in places with coach bolts, not wedges, because I
didn't think to take notes when in Paris and Im a lazy slacker. Once a
year you angle grinder the nuts off and replace the bolts - life's too
short to try salvaging coach bolts used outdoors.

Apart from the corner posts and the under frame in oak, I used sweet
chestnut, as it's rot-resistant. If you can find some nicely resinous
stock, larch would last well enough too. You can always tar the inner
face.

As there's around 50 parts in each one, I don't make them commercially
-- gardeners only want to pay the same as a cheap plastic monstrosity
from B&Q. I made these to replace such a pair of cheap plastic
monstrosities, to avoid having to look at them again.

Tom

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

snipped
I made these to replace such a pair of cheap plastic
monstrosities, to avoid having to look at them again.

Much obliged Andy, thanks for your info.
Best Regards
Tom