Matt Beard

Default Using plywood behind wall tiles

I have seen plywood used in a number of bathrooms in place of
plasterboard when the wall is going to be tiled.

Is this a good idea?

What are the pros and cons?

BigWallop

"Matt Beard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have seen plywood used in a number of bathrooms in place of
plasterboard when the wall is going to be tiled.

Is this a good idea?

What are the pros and cons?

Marine Ply, yes. Ordinary Ply, no. Plasterboard is more flimsy than
Plywood panels, and therefore more prone to movement, especially if it gets
damp. Plywood of the same thickness, or even slightly thinner, is more
rigid, but only if it is waterproof treated. Both ordinary Ply and
Plasterboard will hold water in the same way, so that's why you would use
marine Ply.

The other thing that Ply does better than Plasterboard, is when you drill
and fix things to the wall. Plasterboard has a tendency to break away
unless proper fixing techniques are used, and that usually means big holes
in the tiles to accommodate the fixing. Plywood, on the other hand, only
needs a small hole in the tile to allow a normal screw nail to get a grip on
the wood behind the tiles.

Cost wise, the Marine Ply is better for fixing, flatter and more rigid, but
is more expensive. Plasterboard is cheaper to install, but then you have
the disadvantage of having more expensive fixings, and it also has the
property of moving and swelling more than the timber backing.

The choice is yours mate. :-)

Ali Mac

"Matt Beard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have seen plywood used in a number of bathrooms in place of
plasterboard when the wall is going to be tiled.

Is this a good idea?

What are the pros and cons?

Pros Very rigid, robust in potentially damp conditions especially if
you use marine ply, working with wood

Cons More expensive, working with wood

The cement board, Aqua panel stuff is good and completely rot proof. Wish
I'd used it more in my cellar bathroom on the one damp wall.

Alistair

Grunff

BigWallop wrote:

Marine Ply, yes. Ordinary Ply, no.

This has been covered many, many times - there's no need for marine
ply, and when most people say 'marine ply' they don't mean marine ply.

WBP (weather & boil proof) ply is perfectly suited to this task. It
costs around £20-£25/sheet (3/4"). Marine ply starts at around £80/sheet.

--
Grunff
Vaci

Ali Mac wrote:
The cement board, Aqua panel stuff is good and completely rot proof.

Wish
I'd used it more in my cellar bathroom on the one damp wall.

I lined my shower cubicle with Aquapanels, and found them very quick
and easy to work with, and formed a very sturdy surface. The only
slight caveat is that the panels are stiff and brittle, so they are not
forgiving if your fixing surface is a bit out of true - they will crack
rather than bend.

Vaci

Christian McArdle

I have seen plywood used in a number of bathrooms in place of
plasterboard when the wall is going to be tiled.

Is this a good idea?

Yes.

What are the pros and cons?

When WBP ply gets wet, it cares very little. When plasterboard gets wet, it
turns to the same consistency as semi-digested baby food.

Cons? It's more expensive. 20 quid a sheet, instead of a fiver.

What's just as important is tiling technique. You should forget any idea of
dot-n-dabbing tiles for a shower. Ensure you use a full bed of an adhesive
recommended for commercial swimming pools. Check occassionally to ensure
100% contact. Use a similarly high quality grout and seal it with Lithofin
KF StainStop. Do that, and your tiles will remain in place for a hundred
years.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Christian McArdle, Tom wrote:
Im a bathroom fitter. Ply, no matter the quality expands and contracts with
temperature change and will cause grout to crack. Moisture resistant
plasterboard or tile backer board doesnt and is cheaper, marine ply is
something handymen fit thinking there doing the right thing, but Ive lost
count of how many insurance jobs Ive done removing it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-176228-.htm

Painting over Kitchen Wall Tiles Mary UK diy 0 November 14th 03 12:57 PM
Plasterboard Over Tiles Nibs UK diy 7 November 10th 03 10:23 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 11:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 10:35 PM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 01:06 AM