Dave Liquorice

Default Shed anchors?

Hi,

Anyone any simple and cheap ideas on how to stop this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Happening again (5 years ago it was only the roof that went flying)...

The "base" is just 4 4"sq posts laid on the ground, for the joists to
rest on, so no gert concrete lump to bolt it to. Are the corkscrew
spiral or disc type "ground anchors" any good?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

John Rumm

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Anyone any simple and cheap ideas on how to stop this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Happening again (5 years ago it was only the roof that went flying)...

A layer of paving slabs *inside* the shed to add some weight?

--
Cheers,

John.

Alistair Riddell

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Anyone any simple and cheap ideas on how to stop this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Pieces of angle iron, about 1/2 to 1 m long, banged into the ground like
tent pegs. Then, either fence wire or wire rope over the top.

I've seen this done on static caravans in windy clifftop sites so it must
be effective.

HTH

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us

Alistair Riddell wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Anyone any simple and cheap ideas on how to stop this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Pieces of angle iron, about 1/2 to 1 m long, banged into the ground like
tent pegs. Then, either fence wire or wire rope over the top.

I've seen this done on static caravans in windy clifftop sites so it must
be effective.

Why must it be effective, maybe you've only seen the caravans that
haven't blown away.

--
Chris Green
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:46:54 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

A layer of paving slabs *inside* the shed to add some weight?

That thought had crossed my mind but they would be cold under foot,
and trap the rain that inevitably gets driven inside by the high
winds. It wasn't really raining yesterday morning and there was quite
a puddle on the floor.

I guess they could be lifted on battens for ventilation but you
starting to loose head room. Oh and the frames that make up the sides
rest on the floor so would have to be fixed firmly with something that
wouldn't pull out or through and you've only fixed the bottom rail I
could see the verticals being ripped off the rails, they are only
nailed through into the end grain.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:47:31 +0100, Alistair Riddell wrote:

Pieces of angle iron, about 1/2 to 1 m long, banged into the ground
like tent pegs. Then, either fence wire or wire rope over the top.

No access along one side so the pull would be vertical, I suspect
enough to pull a simple "tent peg" out. Once it started to move it
wouldn't take long to be pulled even further out. Being out trying to
work in an F7 or above is not my idea of fun even without rain. Hence
the query about how good, or not, spiral or disc type ground anchors
are.

My current idea is for a ground anchor at each corner connected
directly to both frame corner pieces with an eye bolt and turnbuckle.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Grunff

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Anyone any simple and cheap ideas on how to stop this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Happening again (5 years ago it was only the roof that went flying)...

The "base" is just 4 4"sq posts laid on the ground, for the joists to
rest on, so no gert concrete lump to bolt it to. Are the corkscrew
spiral or disc type "ground anchors" any good?

Four posts/pegs driven a couple of feet into the ground, one at each
corner. Use whatever you have handy - 4x2s, angle iron etc. Secure these
anchors to the shed's corner timbers.

--
Grunff
Chris Bacon

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Alistair Riddell wrote:

Pieces of angle iron, about 1/2 to 1 m long, banged into the ground
like tent pegs. Then, either fence wire or wire rope over the top.

No access along one side so the pull would be vertical, I suspect
enough to pull a simple "tent peg" out. Once it started to move it
wouldn't take long to be pulled even further out. Being out trying to
work in an F7 or above is not my idea of fun even without rain. Hence
the query about how good, or not, spiral or disc type ground anchors
are.

My current idea is for a ground anchor at each corner connected
directly to both frame corner pieces with an eye bolt and turnbuckle.

Aldi have some "ground screws" which might be useful - or, why can't
you just excavate a small hole, shove a piece of steel in (or even
a timber post), and fill it up with concrete, & fasten to the shed
with a coach bolt?
Ian_m

Anyone any simple and cheap ideas on how to stop this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Happening again (5 years ago it was only the roof that went flying)...

The "base" is just 4 4"sq posts laid on the ground, for the joists to
rest on, so no gert concrete lump to bolt it to. Are the corkscrew
spiral or disc type "ground anchors" any good?

I had problems with my shed in our side passage "wondering up and down" in
strong winds, though not blown over, despite it being full of cr*p. Anyway I
placed two long 4x4 fence posts in the ground about 2-3ft deep, set in
morter and bolted the shed to the posts. Shed hasn't moved since. Mind you
everything else still blows up and down the side passage. One day couldn't
get in via the gate as all the garden furniture and kids toys had been blown
down the passage and piled up behind the gate.

wig wig is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_m
I had problems with my shed in our side passage "wondering up and down" in
strong winds, though not blown over, despite it being full of cr*p. Anyway I
placed two long 4x4 fence posts in the ground about 2-3ft deep, set in
morter and bolted the shed to the posts. Shed hasn't moved since. Mind you
everything else still blows up and down the side passage. One day couldn't
get in via the gate as all the garden furniture and kids toys had been blown
down the passage and piled up behind the gate.
Previous post (quoted) has a good idea. Get four 3m 4" square posts or round ones. mark positions on the ground, move shed out of the way, hammer them in 3 - 4 feet, slide shed back into position your shed will now be anchored by the posts. wire or transit van seat belts slung over the roof and nailed to the posts for extra security.

Failing that idea, get some iron rods 3m long, bend them into a "n" shape and hammer them into the ground going through the floor of the shed so each rod passes either side of a floor joist. Would probably be better to hammer them in at an angle the best angle would be so the ends in the ground are closer to the centre line of the shed, and the tops are closer to the shed walls, however, it would be impossible to do this satisfactorily without removing the walls first. but I would have a go at a lesser angle.

Newshound

Hence
the query about how good, or not, spiral or disc type ground anchors
are.

My current idea is for a ground anchor at each corner connected
directly to both frame corner pieces with an eye bolt and turnbuckle.

I had something similar in January; one spiral ground anchor pulled right
out, admittedly a larger structure (12 * 18 horse "field shelter" with an
open front. The other corner was anchored to an open loop of half inch rebar
into concrete which it straightened out. On doing the sums to British
Standard afterwards (horses, stable doors) I discovered that I had about a 3
ton vertical lifting force for the 20 year gale. Because I *really* don't
want this to happen again (there were two shetlands shut in the floorless
field shelter at the time) I've put a 12 inch by 12 inch concrete filled
trench all round, which is about 3 tons. This has weldmesh in it and rebar
loops attached to about 8 double loops of galvanised 5 mm wire rope, on
turnbuckles, tied in to the roof trusses. That's OTT for you, but don't
underrate the force! I like the idea of a concrete slab floor but I would
worry about the walls and roof leaving the floor behind.

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:32:27 +0100, Newshound wrote:

but don't underrate the force!

I'm not, I've seen what the wind can do up here. We've got used to it
but more often than not vistors make comment about the wind and the
trees/shrubs tharshing about outside the window and we haven't even
noticed. If it's below 15mph sustained it's not windy... Half noticed
windy is 25mph, windy is above 30mph and above. It's not been so windy
in recent years, when we first moved up 24hrs+ of F8 Gale (40mph+
sustained) was fairly common, it's nice when it stops the noise drowns
out the telly and you have to speak up over it...

This is the second time in five year the shed has suffered badly from
the wind. 5 years ago the roof was taken off, two sheets of 8x6 OSB
and bracings landed across the road a good 40' away and over a 6' high
wall.

I like the idea of a concrete slab floor but I would worry about the
walls and roof leaving the floor behind.

I think that would be very likely. B-)

I'm not convinced that simple posts will hold it down, certainly stop
stop it moving along the bearers though. There where two bits of 2"
angle iron driven into the ground on two corners, these have been
pushed a good 30 degrees from the vertical over the last few years. I
haven't pulled 'em out yet to see how long they are but I rested the
full weight of one of the larger side panels on one of then when
dismantling the wreck and it didn't move. I don't think they are in
just 6"...

The direct fixing of a "ground anchor" to the frame work appeals
though, rather than eye bolts and turn buckles etc. Driving a 4x4 post
in might be fun, the ground is quite stony and I'm not sure how deep
the soil is around the shed either.

Thanks for the ideas, something to go on.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Shed wiring - OK [email protected] UK diy 5 April 13th 05 09:49 AM
My shed & garage electricity supplies & earthing! Sparks UK diy 17 March 31st 05 08:25 PM
Storage Shed Anchoring? Jeff Morris Home Repair 10 July 6th 04 01:26 PM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM