Fireproofing Ceilings and Cavity Insulation

Old April 28th 05, 01:57 PM
Junior Member

Location: Hartlepool
Default Fireproofing Ceilings and Cavity Insulation

Hi All
I have just had a detached garage built with a room above and need to fireproof the garage ceiling and stairs. I was told by the buildings inspector to use two layers of plasterboard, but will one layer of Fireline plasterboard do the same job?

I also want to fit cavity insulation, what types can be used now that the walls are up and roof on. If I use one of the blown-in types, how do I seal the cavity tops bearing in mind that the inner block leaf is around two courses higher than the outer brick leaf?

Cheers

Gareth
Old April 28th 05, 07:03 PM
in2minds

I have just had a detached garage built with a room above and need to
fireproof the garage ceiling and stairs. I was told by the buildings
inspector to use two layers of plasterboard, but will one layer of
Fireline plasterboard do the same job?

no, he means 2 layers of Fireline

LJ

Old April 28th 05, 07:52 PM
Lobster

in2minds wrote:
I have just had a detached garage built with a room above and need
to fireproof the garage ceiling and stairs. I was told by the
buildings inspector to use two layers of plasterboard, but will one
layer of Fireline plasterboard do the same job?

no, he means 2 layers of Fireline

Are you sure? When I had to do some fireproofing (in a different
application, admittedly) the BCO also specified two layers of
plasterboard (plus a layer of skim plaster); but just normal
plasterboard; and he subsequently signed off the work happily.

David
Old April 28th 05, 08:15 PM
Set Square

Gareth Jones wrote:

Hi All
I have just had a detached garage built with a room above and need to
fireproof the garage ceiling and stairs. I was told by the buildings
inspector to use two layers of plasterboard, but will one layer of
Fireline plasterboard do the same job?

I also want to fit cavity insulation, what types can be used now that
the walls are up and roof on. If I use one of the blown-in types, how
do I seal the cavity tops bearing in mind that the inner block leaf is
around two courses higher than the outer brick leaf?

Cheers

Gareth

Isn't it a bit late to be sorting this out, *after* it has been built?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old April 29th 05, 03:05 AM
sploop

"Set Square" wrote in message
Gareth Jones wrote:

Hi All
I have just had a detached garage built with a room above and need to
fireproof the garage ceiling and stairs. I was told by the buildings
inspector to use two layers of plasterboard, but will one layer of
Fireline plasterboard do the same job?

I also want to fit cavity insulation, what types can be used now that
the walls are up and roof on. If I use one of the blown-in types, how
do I seal the cavity tops bearing in mind that the inner block leaf is
around two courses higher than the outer brick leaf?

Cheers

Gareth

Isn't it a bit late to be sorting this out, *after* it has been built?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

Absolute bollix. Double tack means that. House across road fully converted
to two flats finished in Januuary. Planning permission applied in March. BC
and planning asked only for double tack on ceilings and fire doors between
flats. Double Tack two sheets with offset joins + skim

Old April 29th 05, 09:53 AM
in2minds

I have just had a detached garage built with a room above and need
to fireproof the garage ceiling and stairs. I was told by the
buildings inspector to use two layers of plasterboard, but will one
layer of Fireline plasterboard do the same job?

no, he means 2 layers of Fireline

Are you sure?

yes, according to our local BCO if there's a habitable room over a
garage there has to be 2 layers of fireline (fire resistant)
plasterboard

LJ

Old April 29th 05, 09:57 AM
in2minds

yes, according to our local BCO if there's a habitable room over a
garage there has to be 2 layers of fireline (fire resistant)
plasterboard

ooops, missed the "detached" bit, it may not apply to a detached garage
only one way to find out for sure, ask the BCO

LJ

Loft insulation? Mogweed UK diy 26 March 30th 05 08:19 PM
Sound proofing terraced house. andrewpreece UK diy 9 January 8th 05 04:54 PM