mark

Default house insurance while building extension

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?
--
Mark Roberts
Reckless

No, I informed my insurance company when I started and they just said 'let
us know when it's finished and we'll adjust your premium'. However, I didn't
have to make a claim so who knows in that case

"mark" wrote in message

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?
--
Mark Roberts

John Rumm

Reckless wrote:

No, I informed my insurance company when I started and they just said 'let
us know when it's finished and we'll adjust your premium'. However, I didn't
have to make a claim so who knows in that case

Yup same here.... they said they were not interested until it is done.

--
Cheers,

John.

Lobster

mark wrote:

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?

Probably obvious, but bear in mind that your builder would definitely be
responsible if the house falls down (or any degrees thereof) during the
works - your own insurer wouldn't want to know. A good reason for not
choosing a cowboy with no liability insurance!

David
Rick

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:02:02 +0100, mark
wrote:

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?

I have insured my project in two halfs, normal house insurance for the
bit I am living in, and self build insurance for the bit I am
rebuilding.

Rick

Fred

"Lobster" wrote in message
mark wrote:

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?

Probably obvious, but bear in mind that your builder would definitely be
responsible if the house falls down (or any degrees thereof) during the
works - your own insurer wouldn't want to know. A good reason for not
choosing a cowboy with no liability insurance!

David

Your house insurance should still kick in if his insurance fails to deliver.
The insurers have been informed of the extension build so they are aware of
a material fact. The builder has a legal obligation to have public
liability cover so it can be assumed he has the prerequisite insurance.

Fred wrote:

Your house insurance should still kick in if his insurance fails to

deliver.
The insurers have been informed of the extension build so they are

aware of
a material fact. The builder has a legal obligation to have public
liability cover so it can be assumed he has the prerequisite

insurance.

of course it cant.

NT

Fred

wrote in message
ups.com...
Fred wrote:

Your house insurance should still kick in if his insurance fails to

deliver.
The insurers have been informed of the extension build so they are

aware of
a material fact. The builder has a legal obligation to have public
liability cover so it can be assumed he has the prerequisite

insurance.

of course it cant.

What I was trying to get across (I admit badly) it would be unreasonable for
an insurance company to expect the householder to shoulder the
responsibility to ensure the builder is insured or that any certificate he's
shown is indeed valid.

NT

Mike

"mark" wrote in message

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?

They are usually okay provided you give them full details of work being
done, timescales and so on. Only thing they really worry about is if you
are taking the roof off or leaving windows and external doors off.

Fred wrote:
wrote in message

What I was trying to get across (I admit badly) it would be

unreasonable for
an insurance company to expect the householder to shoulder the
responsibility to ensure the builder is insured

I dont know why you think thats the case. I would expect an insurer to
require that the householder has seen the builders paperwork. But if
neither of us has been through this, who knows.

NT

Mark

wrote:

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?

They downgraded my level of cover while the work was going on (without
giving me any consessions of Premium).

DavidG

news
wrote:

Anyone had trouble with their insurance company after telling them about
work to be done?

They downgraded my level of cover while the work was going on (without
giving me any consessions of Premium).

Ours demanded an extra premium to keep the same level of cover. Luckily we
did.
The roofers didnt tarp the roof properly one night and I am now a
shareholder in 'stain stop'.

Now we shall see how we get on with the re-decorating claim.