Default Building a bathroom

Can anyone offer any advice on starting a bathroom?

The entire lot [toilet, sink and bath] are being ripped out so that the
floor can be replaced as it is chipboard and going soft in some places
(this is probably because the lino was never sealed properly).

Once the floor is down I plan to start fitting a new sink, toilet and
bath. Should they be done in any specific order? I guessing bath first
makes a lot of sense...

Also, I want to put down some secondhand laminate flooring in the
bathroom that came out of our old kitchen - I have no idea how to fit
laminate! Any suggestions?

Any advice very much appreciated from novice DIYer

POD {Ò¿Ó}

The phone rang while was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd degree
burn to the ear, visible for all in uk.d-i-y to guffaw over.

Once the floor is down I plan to start fitting a new sink, toilet and
bath. Should they be done in any specific order? I guessing bath first
makes a lot of sense...

I'd mark out where the bath will go and do it last, rather than put the
biggest thing in first and have no room to move about in to fit the two
smaller items. Besides, how long can you last without the toilet??

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Can anyone offer any advice on starting a bathroom?

The entire lot [toilet, sink and bath] are being ripped out so that the
floor can be replaced as it is chipboard and going soft in some places
(this is probably because the lino was never sealed properly).

Once the floor is down I plan to start fitting a new sink, toilet and
bath. Should they be done in any specific order? I guessing bath first
makes a lot of sense...

Also, I want to put down some secondhand laminate flooring in the
bathroom that came out of our old kitchen - I have no idea how to fit
laminate! Any suggestions?

Any advice very much appreciated from novice DIYer
Hello
First of All
Plan an Think ahead ,
I will give you this site to look at ...
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bathroom.htm

heres a few tips of my own

The floor is it to be tiled ,lino,carpet ?
whichever I would recommend you rip up the chipboard flooring straight away ,have a look at the joists if they are dry an look ok ,a couple of coats of timber Wood Preservative is a must ,

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...dept_id=200386

what you should do then is lay 18mm Exterior WBP Plywood sheeting (its waterproof ), screw the ceramic 40mm screws along the runs of the joists...

if you have any problems post here an I will try to help

Mr Jingles

Before the new floor goes down make sure any services are altered if
necessary so that you don't curse your luck after the last nail goes
in.

I'd advise considering some sort of access hatch - easy to install when
putting in the
new floor but it can be a swine when you are working blind and need to
get
under the floor for some purpose.

Take photographs of the pipe layout under the floor before it goes
down, and take
measurements too. If you don't then the great god "Murphy" will smite
you for your
presumption! :-)

Kitchen laminate being laid in a bathroom - the advice is that with the
increased
water in the loo then only certain laminates can be used there, so any
perceived
saving in cost might not pan out in the future (pardon the pun).

HTH

Mungo

P.S. When renovating our bathroom I installed the lino before replacing
the
loo pan, so there's no "cutting the lino" round a pan. Saves having to
worry
unduly about sealing the oval cutout from the lino round the pan.
I'm (of course) presuming a change to "lino" from "laminate".

TonyK

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone offer any advice on starting a bathroom?

The entire lot [toilet, sink and bath] are being ripped out so that the
floor can be replaced as it is chipboard and going soft in some places
(this is probably because the lino was never sealed properly).

Once the floor is down I plan to start fitting a new sink, toilet and
bath. Should they be done in any specific order? I guessing bath first
makes a lot of sense...

Also, I want to put down some secondhand laminate flooring in the
bathroom that came out of our old kitchen - I have no idea how to fit
laminate! Any suggestions?

Any advice very much appreciated from novice DIYer

1) Keep wastes and feed in the same location, don't try to move anything
around unless you really need/want to.

2) Use flexi tap connectors to allow for slight changes in position on feeds
to sink/loo/bath

3) Do not use laminate in a bathroom (warp, peel, lift etc etc)

4) When removing old fittings keep pipes as long as possible and fit
isolator valves to everything, ie. 2x15mm for sink, 2x22mm for bath and
1x15mm for loo.

5) Tape a poly bags over the waste pipes

6) Rough fir everyting first and check for silly mistakes like loo seats
catching on towel rails etc

7) Fit the toilet first.

Andrew McKay

On 19 Apr 2005 08:55:52 -0700, wrote:

The entire lot [toilet, sink and bath] are being ripped out so that the
floor can be replaced as it is chipboard and going soft in some places
(this is probably because the lino was never sealed properly).

If the chipboard is going soft then there is a chance that the
underlying rafters that support the floor have been subject to damp.
Pay close inspection once the floor is up.

If the rafters are soft (try digging at them with a screwdriver) then
you will need to remove any flakey material. You will probably get
away with adding some supporting timber screwed/glued along the sides
of the timber, though worst case would mean replacing the timbers (I
doubt it will have got that bad however).

Instead of chipboard I highly recommend you consider using marine ply
instead. Chipboard is never water resistant, but marine ply is.

Once the floor is down I plan to start fitting a new sink, toilet and
bath. Should they be done in any specific order? I guessing bath first
makes a lot of sense...

Whatever is most practical for the installation.

Also, I want to put down some secondhand laminate flooring in the
bathroom that came out of our old kitchen - I have no idea how to fit
laminate! Any suggestions?

NO!

Do NOT put laminate down. Only the very expensive stuff is good for a
wet area. Laminate looks shoddy and will detract from the value of
your home. The gaps between each board will soon fill with debris and
the installation will look awful.

Once you've got your floor sorted out then I highly recommend using
some sort of rubber/plastic flooring. You can either buy large sheets
of vinolay (the modern form of lino), or buy packs of tiles. The tiles
are easier to deal with IMHO, but take care to follow instructions.

Andrew

--

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

Thanks to all for your advice.

I won't be able to commence this project for a few weeks yet so am
trying to glean as much information as I can first. I fitted my kitchen
last year and that went reasonable well but I did thoroughly research
how to do it first before starting.

The laminate I was going to lay says PERGO on the back and was
previously used in the kitchen, where it seem to cause no problem.
However, it was never properly sealed around the edges leaving the
'expansion gap' i think its called, exposed. Presumably this is why
damp got underneath the polythene or whatever it is you are supposed to
lay.

I think it will probably be ok for the bathroom [unless anyone strongly
thinks otherwise] as it seems like good quality stuff. I plan a trip to
the local DIY store to check if they still sell it and find the
specifications of what it is intended for