Dave Burleigh

Default Baxi Solo 2 PF 80 boiler won't fire up

Grateful for any pointers.

My Baxo Solo 2 PF 80 boiler for some time has taken a long while to
fire up. Today it hasn't made it :-(

It seems it does not readily establish a solid pilot flame. 3 out of
the 4 lights come on, the piezo cycles and I see it sparking. The
pilot flame flicks and licks and occasionally becomes substantial
enough for the main valve to open for the merest fraction of a second,
long enough for the piezo to stop (perhaps just missing a single
click), the burner on light blinks and the main valve shuts.

It has been taking 5-10 mins to light properly once the main burner
gets a decent chance. Then the boiler seems to cycle OK as its
thermostat shuts it down and then starts it up. But once cold, it has
trouble again.

A new gas valve was fitted 18 months ago in an attempt to cure this
behaviour, the Corgi engineer experienced with Baxi (or so he claimed)
citing common problems with its diaphragm. All I could say is that the
problem eased for a while, but was never "cured", to the extent that
the boiler would reliable start with the first few piezo clicks.

What do you reckon is the troublesome part?

TIA

Dave

John Stumbles

"Dave Burleigh" wrote in message
Grateful for any pointers.

My Baxo Solo 2 PF 80 boiler for some time has taken a long while to
fire up. Today it hasn't made it :-(

It seems it does not readily establish a solid pilot flame. 3 out of
the 4 lights come on, the piezo cycles and I see it sparking. The
pilot flame flicks and licks and occasionally becomes substantial
enough for the main valve to open for the merest fraction of a second,
long enough for the piezo to stop (perhaps just missing a single
click), the burner on light blinks and the main valve shuts.

You must have a different model Solo from the one I've come across where you
couldn't see the spark or pilot through the viewing window.

If it's requiring many attempts to ingnite the pilot that suggests a problem
with the pilot. The one I saw had a blocked pilot injector (tiny metal cup
with 2 pinholes in it, between the pilot pipe and the nozzle.)

If it is actually lighting the pilot but the ignition is still trying that
suggests a problem with the flame detection. I don't know what the flame
detection mechanism is in these boilers - the one I've seen didn't have a
thermocouple and the speed of response (when it did work) suggested flame
rectification or optical, but there didn't seem to be a separate flame
rectification electrode so I wondered if it used the spark ignition
electrode? It would be a bit hairy electronics for a domestic boiler though.

It has been taking 5-10 mins to light properly once the main burner
gets a decent chance. Then the boiler seems to cycle OK as its
thermostat shuts it down and then starts it up. But once cold, it has
trouble again.

A new gas valve was fitted 18 months ago in an attempt to cure this
behaviour, the Corgi engineer experienced with Baxi (or so he claimed)
citing common problems with its diaphragm. All I could say is that the
problem eased for a while, but was never "cured", to the extent that
the boiler would reliable start with the first few piezo clicks.

(BTW the ignition isn't piezo - that's the sort where you press a button and
it clicks to generate the spark. This is electronic ignition, as on cars.)

hth

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

John

[...]

Start at the simple end and check your pilot injector (jet) is clean and
clear

Roger Mills

[...]

I've had problems on and off with mine for a long time - ever since I was
foolish enough to have it serviced.

The symptoms are that - with the outer cover on - it starts up from cold
beautifully. You put the outer cover back on while it is still warm, and it
runs fine. It cools down over night - and fails to start the next morning.

After getting the service people back umpteen times, and trying all manner
of things, I eventually came to an understanding with it. If I promised not
to over-tighten the screws holding the outer case on, it promised to work!

The screws I am talking about are the two large screws which become visible
when you pull off the the lower cover to access the controls. It's quite
uncanny - the thing is sitting there sparking away but not lighting, you
slacken the left-hand screw by a quarter of a turn, and away it goes!

The onl;y explanation I can think of is that the spark gap is very critical
(and I can't find a way of checking and adjusting it!) and that tightening
this screw distorts the casing slightly and interferes with the gap.

Your problem may be due to something entirely different, but the effect of
slackening the screw(s) is very quick to check - and might just help.

Roger

New Condensing Boiler and Shower Bjorn UK diy 19 August 13th 03 04:54 PM
Draining Back Boiler Jamie UK diy 1 July 27th 03 01:29 AM
Berry Magicoal Berryblaze gas fire Dave UK diy 4 July 6th 03 02:25 AM
Baxi back boiler power settings Owain UK diy 3 July 4th 03 08:51 PM
Glow-worm programmer and boiler change Muddy Paws UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 03:55 PM