troubleinstore

Default Answer To Emulsion Paint Removal

I recently posted the following:-

Don't you just love decorating...:-(

I removed some wallpaper today that put on by the previous occupiers of

the
house. The paper was stuck ontop of emulsion paint, needless to say that

in
places much of the emulsion paint came off as well.

Question is, what is the best method to get rid of all the old emulsion
paint...?

Well I think I have found an easier answer to get rid of the most stubborn
paint rather than using just a scraper or steam etc.

I wanted to see just how bad it would look at just putting the wallpaper on
the wall without scraping all the old paint off. It looked awful, but as a
bonus, something in the paste must have reacted with the emulsion paint that
made it lift off the plaster because now, I can use the scraper with very
little effort to remove it.

Hope this helps those of you who have similar problems in the future.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

RichardS

"Alex" wrote in message
"troubleinstore" wrote in message

snip

Well I think I have found an easier answer to get rid of the most

stubborn
paint rather than using just a scraper or steam etc.

I wanted to see just how bad it would look at just putting the wallpaper

on
the wall without scraping all the old paint off. It looked awful, but as

bonus, something in the paste must have reacted with the emulsion paint

that
made it lift off the plaster because now, I can use the scraper with

very
little effort to remove it.

Hope this helps those of you who have similar problems in the future.

Interesting! I once had the same result when using some old sugar soap on
water based paint, bubbled right off!

Alex

Hmmm, wonder if there is any mileage in mixing some sugar soap into paste,
and applying that to remove emulsion then?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

N. Thornton

I also found an effective emulsion remover: dilute some ecover washing
up liquid and soak the paint with it. It just wiped off with a cloth.
Unfortunately I wasnt intending to discover this...

Regards, NT
Alex

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
I also found an effective emulsion remover: dilute some ecover washing
up liquid and soak the paint with it. It just wiped off with a cloth.
Unfortunately I wasnt intending to discover this...

Regards, NT

Likewise, I was just cleaning the surfaces after prep and prior to painting.
Luckily it was only a temporary patch up job.

Alex