raden

Default Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda

In message , SpamTrapSeeSig
writes
I decided to use caustic soda on the lavatory bowl the other day. I've
done this before, but I was in a rush. Instead of pre-mixing it in a
bucket and pouring it in, I just sprinkled "a few" crystals into the
bowl. The phone went and I went to answer it, without stirring the
mixture.

It wasn't a few. The heat of solution (energy released when the
crystals dissolved) caused the mixture to become very hot, at the
bottom of the pan, where the crystals were.

Boiling caustic soda - luvverly, I've done it a few times

how does it go ?

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" or something

--
geoff
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Well it worked for me. I protect eyes, but the odd caustic burn on the
skin is no big deal. Just wash with water and there you are. Nice shiny
patch of skin.

If you get there in time. If you don't notice, you may be joining the
queue for skin grafts later. I know someone this happened to (not me).

If you are stupid enough to leave caustic unattended tho, you deserve
what you get.

True. I didn't say it was a smart move.

Cearmics will crack if you put boiling water in them.

I think it must have been the thickness of the glaze in this case. It's
never bothered any teapot we've owned, and the thermal shock from
caustic soda dissolving must be far less than boiling water poured
straight into a cold tea pot. I know you're supposed to warm the pot,
but we're a normal household and that doesn't happen every time.

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , raden
writes
In message , SpamTrapSeeSig
writes
I decided to use caustic soda on the lavatory bowl the other day. I've
done this before, but I was in a rush. Instead of pre-mixing it in a
bucket and pouring it in, I just sprinkled "a few" crystals into the
bowl. The phone went and I went to answer it, without stirring the
mixture.

It wasn't a few. The heat of solution (energy released when the
crystals dissolved) caused the mixture to become very hot, at the
bottom of the pan, where the crystals were.

Boiling caustic soda - luvverly, I've done it a few times

how does it go ?

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" or something

It's that niggling feeling that, since I've almost made it boil in the
past, I should have worked out that it might happen and been more
careful.

As posted elsewhere, I think the thickness of the glaze might have been
a factor - boiling water doesn't seem to bother our teapot.

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT'86 110CSW TD'88 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/
Jerry Built

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[ From: Message-ID: ]
I would in fact do the folwing.
Tip half the power or crytals int the loo, and follow up with
a kettle of boiling water, making sure that any splashes and
hisses happen inside. Best way to enbsure that is to slap a
sheet of something like polystyrene over the top of it all
till the witches cauldron ceases. Wipe up any splashes on
anything with copious cold water.

Then have a cup of coffee.

Then come back and flush the loo.

If it even drains sklightly this caustc will generally clear
it BUT.

Well, that was the first post. The post following (Message-ID:
):

Well it worked for me. I protect eyes, but the odd caustic burn
on the skin is no big deal. Just wash with water and there you
are. Nice shiny patch of skin.

If you are stupid enough to leave caustic unattended tho, you
deserve what you get.

Cearmics will crack if you put boiling water in them.

I flush it down as soon as it starts to boil, and generally have
hot water in there first to get the bowl up to temp.

paints quite a different picture, flushing immediately
instead of "having a cup of coffee", warming the pan,
flushing immediately, dah de dah. This idea seems like
a complete flight of fancy, and a very dangerous one to
suggest, at that.

The best thing to clear your lavatory is a thing called
a "plumber", then you won't get your hands dirty (or all
the skin burnt off them). If you don't fancy this, a good
second line of attack is rubber plunger, or a bucket of
water tipped down from a height. A drain auger ("snake"),
is a good idea if that fails, and is a long flexible metal
thing like a thick piece of bicycle brake cable or net
curtain stretch hanger, whatever that's called, I can't
remember. You push it down the U bend, and crank it around.

J.B.

The Natural Philosopher

Jerry Built wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[ From: Message-ID: ]
[...]

And when that all fails, follow my advice.

God some of you lot are seriously dumb and pompous with it aren't you?

Children of the Nanny state to a 'T'

J.B.

Jerry Built

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[ snip ]

God some of you lot are seriously dumb and pompous with it
aren't you?

No. Just not effing stupid, that's all.

J.B.