tom patton

Default setting steel mesh in foundations

Hi all
Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

Rick

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:14:29 GMT, "tom patton"
wrote:

Hi all
Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

You can buy some "plastic feet" to put under the bottom layer, they
are not as good as half bricks. I used both, both passed building regs
inspection.

Rick

John Rumm

tom patton wrote:

Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

I went the half brick route on my shed base - and wired together the
rebar at some of the crossovers to keep it all in place.

--
Cheers,

John.

Soldering aluminum tubing to steel sheet metal Racer X Metalworking 8 May 15th 04 12:16 AM
Old Steel - New Steel Jim Stewart Metalworking 29 April 5th 04 09:24 PM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 12:06 AM
Loft Conversion, Steel Trimmer end bearing support Kevin Walton UK diy 5 November 22nd 03 08:47 AM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM