DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   setting steel mesh in foundations (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/101656-setting-steel-mesh-foundations.html)

tom patton April 5th 05 02:14 AM

setting steel mesh in foundations

Hi all
Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

Rob Morley April 5th 05 05:18 AM

In article , "tom
patton" says...
Hi all
Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

Presumably he wants you to support it on wires attached to stakes or
shuttering. Ideally pour enough to support the steelwork, then
remove the wires before pouring the rest, so you don't get wires
sticking out of the finished slab.

Rick April 5th 05 09:41 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:14:29 GMT, "tom patton"
wrote:

Hi all
Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

You can buy some "plastic feet" to put under the bottom layer, they
are not as good as half bricks. I used both, both passed building regs
inspection.

Rick

John Rumm April 5th 05 04:23 PM

tom patton wrote:

Just putting steel reinforcing mesh in my 150 by 600 foundations about 13
metre run.
My brother in law-a civil engineer said just set the bottom layer on some
bits of broken paving slab then use u shaped upstands to wire on the top
layer both must be bedde 50 mm from the exterior.
I mentioned my method to the brickie he was horrified for gods sake dont put
any lumps on the foundation base.
How is this supposed to be done--there must be a simple method.

I went the half brick route on my shed base - and wired together the
rebar at some of the crossovers to keep it all in place.

--
Cheers,

John.