Cuprager

Default leylandi

Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.
They are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their
rough order...

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?
2. Confined space to fell them. Should you rope them into the garden or
the lane... what about the greenhouse!
3. I dont think i would be comfortable with a chainsaw at height. Would
a bow saw or similar be ok?

All comments welcome please!!

TIA
Gerry
Peter Crosland

Not really a DIY job unless you happen to be fully qualified. He needs to
shop around and specify exactly what he wants done. For example does it
include removal of all the debris and is the firm fully insured?

Peter Crosland

The Natural Philosopher

Cuprager wrote:

Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.
They are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their
rough order...

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?
2. Confined space to fell them. Should you rope them into the garden or
the lane... what about the greenhouse!
3. I dont think i would be comfortable with a chainsaw at height. Would
a bow saw or similar be ok?

All comments welcome please!!

Took one of similar size down with just a bowasaw. They are not hard wood.

If you can fell in one go, thats the easiest.

Fosrt thing to do is make up a cride protractor at 4 degrees and use
that to estimate where you can get it to fall.

Then yoo need a pair of ropes tied off to something that will make sure
it goes that way. These do not need to be that high up teh tree - a
ladder will do to get sya 10ft up.

Cut a wedge ouit exactly in the direction you want it to fall. Tesnion
the ropes a bit - a mate standing BEYOND where you are CERTAIN the tree
will go is ideal.

Then start your main cut a little above where the notch on the other
side is.

Stop as SOON as there is any sound of cracking and splitting or the cut
opening up. If a good tug on the main rope doesn't bring it down, cut a
bit more and try again. The important thing is no to be near the bole
when it goes. And to constrain it so it cannot fall anywhere else.

We pulled down a couple of 10 meter sycamores like this a few months
back. Leylandii are nothing like as bad. They don't have such hard
branches, the weight or the crown spread.

Neverteheless, be sensible. Its not hard to do, but its easy to make a
mistake if you just go at it gung ho.

Careful approach, attention to detail making sure everything is utterly
correct before you cut, and accurate cutting will do what you want.

There are no tree felling 'accidents' - just stupidities, mistakes,
taking of chances etc.

Oh - with my one I then leveled the stump as besst I could and lit a
fire on top.

Enough of it burned for me to safely put a load of hardcore on top and
make a drive.

TIA
Gerry

mike ring

Cuprager wrote in news:d3ddp6$34d$1
@dennis.cc.strath.ac.uk:

Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.
They are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden...

The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their
rough order...

IMO no, get quotes and pay the money

Any tree is about a tenth the bulk looking at it from the ground as when
you get up close and personal - they are **** dangerous, even with only a
bow saw.

Even if you had unlimited space, I'd say have a care and be very careful.

In your situation......!!

mike
Christian McArdle

All comments welcome please!!

Forget it. Get a few more quotes. I chopped down a few trees in my garden
(it was getting on to be a copse, a tiny garden with about 8 trees in it).
The really tall one (i.e. above house height) was definitely going to be
beyond my capability. I think I paid around 100, so 1K is the same ballpark,
but you might find cheaper with the "bulk" discount, although my quote was
for felling only.

Christian.

Phil

Hire a cherry picker for a day, take them down a foot at a time with a
good sharp bow-saw. Hard work, but do-able. Then dispose of the
mountains of green wood... (could hire a chipper too).

Phil

Bob Mannix

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Not really a DIY job unless you happen to be fully qualified. He needs to
shop around and specify exactly what he wants done. For example does it
include removal of all the debris and is the firm fully insured?

Does it also include removal of stumps (to at least below ground level)?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Tony Williams

In article ,
Cuprager wrote:
Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back
garden.

[snip]
Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a diy'able job to
take these down? The fears that i have are in their rough
order...

Don't even think about it, pay the money.

Check how professional the 'professional' is by asking
to see his insurance certificate.

--
Tony Williams.
dmc

In article ,
Cuprager wrote:
Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.
They are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash.

That doesn't sound too bad to me. 110 quid a tree sounds pretty fair.

I'll have a go at many things diy but I don't think I'd fancy this one

Darren

BTMOD

Took down a 10 metre multi trunk birch with a bow saw. Did it 21/2 metre
lengths tied off to the branch below. If you are careful then it is quite
doable I did it on my own but with help then much safer.
"Cuprager" wrote in message
[...]

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:50:46 +0100, Cuprager wrote:

Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.
They are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their
rough order...

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?
2. Confined space to fell them. Should you rope them into the garden or
the lane... what about the greenhouse!
3. I dont think i would be comfortable with a chainsaw at height. Would
a bow saw or similar be ok?

All comments welcome please!!

We took down eight trees, bit smaller as they were only up to gutter
height.

My advice would be: Do NOT underestimate the scale of the job.

We lopped the top 50% off the trees, then went about disposing of the
bits (Due to a small garden). We were quoted £220 to dispose of these
cuttings alone, so we hired a hi-top transit for the weekend.

Using a B&Q chipper we chipped the small branches and after about two
journeys to the tip we'd got rid of it.

The following year we set about the remaining 50%. Another three trips
to the tip and the cuttings were gone.

I now need someone with a chainsaw to remove the remaining trunks as
they are 10-12" diameter.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:50:46 +0100, Cuprager wrote:

He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash.

Sounds a bit cheap - is this guy kosher ? Leylandii are a git to
fell - thick enough to be a problem to shift, too thin to climb,
usually in too confined a space to fell in one drop. if you're working
near houses, particularly neighbour's houses, then you want to see
their insurance signed in blood before they begin.

BTW - Anyone want a burned out E-type Jag ? A guy just up the road
from me decided to remove a couple of Thrower's Dooms and rejected the
quote he had from my friend the tree feller. So he set to and felled
them himself - without injury. Patting himself on the back for his
economy he then decided to dispose of the wreckage with a bonfire.

Those of you who've burned Leylandii before will know what a safe
distance is between fresh boughs thrown on a hot bonfire and a garage.
He didn't...

Cuprager

Cuprager wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all of the help so far. You lot really are tearing me in two
completely opposite directions! I think that i might be swayed towards
letting the tree surgeon do it, but you never know!

To clarify a couple of questions that have been asked...

AFAIK the quote is for removal as well as felling. (would need to
clarify with FIL)

It does not include removal of stumps, but we can handle that ourselves.

We would need to clarify that the firm has adequate insurance as the
trees could indeed wreck lots of things if felled incorrectly (hence my
worry about diying it)
Ian_m

"Cuprager" wrote in message
Cuprager wrote:
Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden. They
are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their rough
order...

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?
2. Confined space to fell them. Should you rope them into the garden or
the lane... what about the greenhouse!
3. I dont think i would be comfortable with a chainsaw at height. Would a
bow saw or similar be ok?

A friend removed about 7 house tall leylandi, with my help. We managed to
cut them inititally at about half way point, pulling the top over using a
rope. Then halved again and finally cutting at the bottom. Didn't take long
at all and all sheds, fences and nearby house were neatly avoided. Oh if you
trim away the area where you are going to cut its a lot easier.

He then spent a week chopping the bits up with two visits per night to local
top in his car, before hiring a van for the day at the weekend and
completing the job.

Some roots he was able to dig up on one peice leaving a monster hole and
others he drilled holes and filled with weed killer crystals for a month or
two, then replaced with more holes and some substance to cause wood to rot.
After a year or two just dug root up with a spade.

chris French

In message , Ian_m
writes
Cuprager wrote:
Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.

Some roots he was able to dig up on one peice leaving a monster hole and
others he drilled holes and filled with weed killer crystals for a month or
two, then replaced with more holes and some substance to cause wood to rot.
After a year or two just dug root up with a spade.

No need for weed killer, the stumps won't regrow, so they will die soon
enough of their own accord
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mary Fisher

"Ian_m" wrote in message

A friend removed about 7 house tall leylandi, with my help. We managed to
cut them inititally at about half way point, pulling the top over using a
rope.

Yes, we did that with ours a few years ago. It wasn't difficult. The top
half was dropped with a rope onto the roof of the neighbour's long garage,
dragged into his drive (all with his permission) and taken down to the
church at the bottom of the street to use as a Christmas tree.

Then halved again and finally cutting at the bottom. Didn't take long at
all and all sheds, fences and nearby house were neatly avoided. Oh if you
trim away the area where you are going to cut its a lot easier.

Indeed it is and it's not too difficult if you start at the bottom.

He then spent a week chopping the bits up with two visits per night to
local top in his car, before hiring a van for the day at the weekend and
completing the job.

We let ours grow up again, I don't want to lose it because it's a nesting
site to very many different birds and such places are becoming rarer. If we
ever did we'd start by taking off the lowest branches until there's only the
trunk then cut it into handy lengths and drop them vertically, the rope over
a higher branch stump to aid control, one by one. It's what we've done with
other trees.

Disposal would be the most difficult part. We'd use a shredder for smaller
parts, that would be used on the garden. Thicker branches would be dried and
stored for fuel in a few years.

Mary

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ian_m" writes:
A friend removed about 7 house tall leylandi, with my help. We managed to
cut them inititally at about half way point, pulling the top over using a
rope. Then halved again and finally cutting at the bottom. Didn't take long
at all and all sheds, fences and nearby house were neatly avoided. Oh if you
trim away the area where you are going to cut its a lot easier.

There was a row of leylandi-like trees belonging to my neighbour
along our boundary. House changed hands, and I asked if they could
be pruned or taken down. It turned out that new neighbour's son
is a tree surgeon (or at least something related to forestry).
He did pretty much what you said, except having got them cut to
about 1/2 height and removed all the substantial foliage, he then
used a rope from the top to a digger, and pulled the trunks over
sideways to remove the stumps. They did leave big holes in the
ground though, which I've been emptying my garden waste into
ever since.

BTW, it is very important the rope used for this has virtually no
elasticity, or imagine what happens when you get pinged with a 50'
heavy elastic band. I saw this happen when some tree felling was
going on in the grounds of a former workplace. The rope snapped,
and the loose end shot across the road and smacked into a building
on the other side with a very loud crack, fortunately high enough
up that it was above the roofs of the cars driving past. There was
someone from the council parks department on scene to inspect the
work, and he had it stopped instantly and the contractors removed
from site.

--
Andrew Gabriel
David Shepherd

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:50:46 +0100, Cuprager wrote:

Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.
They are a bit taller than his 2 storey house and sit at the back of the
garden... there is a lane behind his garden about a cars width wide.
There is a greenhouse in front of the trees. You know whats coming next,
dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees, the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their
rough order...

Definitely diyable, I took down two of similar size to your Father in
Law's. A bow saw is perfectly adequate - I took of branches from the
bottom until I reached full ladder height then lopped the tops off.

Reasons I wouldn't do it again:

- despite securely tying the ladder, it still swayed about a lot and
scared the pants off me.

- difficult to get it to fall the direction I wanted - fortunately my
neighbour was just as keen to see them felled as I and didn;t mind it
landing in his garden (nothing would grow near the damend things
anyway!)

- there was so much rubbish left over that I had to pay someone to
take it away and it cost me nearly as much as he would have charged
for felling them anyway.

I would gladly have paid 110 quid per tree, so provided insurance
cover is up to scratch, I would have thought 1K for all 9 trees to be
well worth it.

David
Mary Fisher

"David Shepherd" wrote in message

- difficult to get it to fall the direction I wanted - fortunately my
neighbour was just as keen to see them felled as I and didn;t mind it
landing in his garden (nothing would grow near the damend things
anyway!)

Oh! There's a large rose and a gooseberry bush (which fruits) within two
feet of the trunk of ours, I grow rhubarb, potatoes and redcurrants only
another yard away.

We used a bow saw too.

Mary

RedOnRed

They don't call 'em tree surgeons for nothing.

There's a definite skill to felling large trees and chipping them. It's also
very dangerous. Just ask the now one legged landscaper round our way who had
a flash of genius (not) deciding to push the cuttings through the chipper
with his leg.

Lucky for him he had the good sense not to nudge them through with his head.

If you're not suitabley qualified and careful there's many a potential
disaster looming. Get the pro's in. In this rip-off world you should find
that most tree surgeons still charge a fair and reasonable price.

andrewpreece

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"David Shepherd" wrote in message

- difficult to get it to fall the direction I wanted - fortunately my
neighbour was just as keen to see them felled as I and didn;t mind it
landing in his garden (nothing would grow near the damend things
anyway!)

I cut down a triple trunked Leylandii, more than 20 feet high. I had an
advantage as
it was close to my garage so I stood on the garage and cut off the tops
first. My advice,
if you do go DIY, is to check that the teeth n the bowsaw have an adequate
amount of
'set', otherwise it sticks, have another person out of harm's range pulling
with a rope,
make the appropriate wedge shaped cuts in the trunk, one on the back, one on
the front
( I think the one on the front goes below the rear cut ), and for heaven's
sake, make
sure there is either no wind at all, or a very light and steady wind going
very largely in
the direction you want the tree to fall.

Andy.

Mary Fisher

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think the OP can allow his to fall. It would have to be a piece-meal
task, lowering branches and trunk sections vertically downwares to avoid
damage to other features. That would have to be the case here too.

Mary

Simon

"Cuprager" wrote in message
[...]

I payed £400 to have two 14 metre Leylandi removed from a difficult location
(no possibility of felling, and all the bits had to be hand-carried down a
narrow alley). This was probably slightly expensive, but I wouldn't have
liked to do it myself (I did try). The tree surgeons climbed to the tops of
the trees, and then climbed down, removing the branches and trunk with a
chainsaw as they went. The logs do burn well, so if you know someone who can
make use of them, the tree surgeons may give you a discount for leaving the
heavy stuff behind.

Biff

I've just felled four 30ft leylandii, 10 inch diameter at base. A
long rope tied high up and looped over a handy branch of the next tree
allowed them to be lowered gently to the ground after cutting through
with an axe. I didn't wnat to cut them down in stages as I am going
to use the timber. It is very strong and the heart wood is very
durable. It's a cross between Monteray Pine and Alaska Yellow Cedar,
which has a couple of natural chemicals that are toxic to fungi. In
New Zealand and Australia leylandii are grown comercially for the
timber. The smaller pieces do make excellent firewood, even the
leaves having a very high calorific value sa there is so much resin.
One day we'll be planting them everywhere as a fuel and timber crop.

tony sayer

One day we'll be planting them everywhere as a fuel and timber crop.

NIMBY
--
Tony Sayer

Rick

[...]

I'd DIY it, ladder up, clean branches with loppers, cut with bow saw,
pull top down with rope - which had been placed on the very top.

ladder down, chainsaw out, again use rope to guide fall. Of cource you
could make more sections, or even scaffold the things.

If you could make them fall into the lane, you'd be on to a goodun.

Stumps, - 2 choices hire a transit and pull them out, hope clutch is
good enought to get transit back to hire depot, or mini digger.

Disposal - bonfire.

Rick

Cuprager wrote:
Father in law has about 9 of these massive trees in his back garden.

dont you! He had a quote from a tree surgeon to remove these trees,

the
price was about 1k. Quite a lot of cash. The question is, is it a
diy'able job to take these down? The fears that i have are in their
rough order...

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?

if youve got enough felling room, no need. Use weight and rope to avoid
having to climb it either, just sling the weighted rope over a branch
twice so you get it round the trunk, make a knot at ground and pull it
closed.

If you do cut it, _do not_ cut right through, or pull it to break it
while up the tree. Always get right out the way during breakage. If you
do one you'll see why.

2. Confined space to fell them. Should you rope them into the garden

or
the lane... what about the greenhouse!

not seen the plan.

3. I dont think i would be comfortable with a chainsaw at height.

Would
a bow saw or similar be ok?

yep

I diyed it. Its not rocket surgery, all fairly basic. Bowsaw is fine,
and user friendlier than a chainsaw. But you must take care that your
plans are right, and think about what can go wrong: if something does
go wrong, death is possible. There is a very simple way to avoid this:
stay out of the tree's height radius at all times during felling. Ie
cut far enough till you get cracking sounds when its pulled, then get
out, and pull it over by rope. That way, no matter what happens, it
wont hit you.

The stump end often flips backwards if youre pulling it over with a
rope. Even the thinner branches can cause serious injury, stay out the
way.

Certainly dont do it if its windy.

Take sensible precautions and its perfectly diyable, and you'll have
enough wood to pay for the tablesaw and more. Lots of wood in a 10" 30'
leyland - just a shame its not a nice hardwood.

NT

Mary Fisher

wrote in message

Lots of wood in a 10" 30'
leyland - just a shame its not a nice hardwood.

Spouse made a very serviceable longbow for a grandson from the greenwood of
one. Boy used it, I used it, it's still going strong after eleven years (boy
is now 6'6"and 21 almost).

Mary

NT

Biff wrote:
I've just felled four 30ft leylandii, 10 inch diameter at base. A
long rope tied high up and looped over a handy branch of the next tree
allowed them to be lowered gently to the ground after cutting through
with an axe. I didn't wnat to cut them down in stages as I am going
to use the timber. It is very strong and the heart wood is very
durable. It's a cross between Monteray Pine and Alaska Yellow Cedar,
which has a couple of natural chemicals that are toxic to fungi. In
New Zealand and Australia leylandii are grown comercially for the
timber. The smaller pieces do make excellent firewood, even the
leaves having a very high calorific value sa there is so much resin.
One day we'll be planting them everywhere as a fuel and timber crop.

Yes, we burn ours, it's pretty good for burning as long as it's
properly dried/seasoned.

As you say too it's also very durable out of doors. We've used some
of the straighter pieces for marking out a manege (for exercising
horses). They're just laid on the ground and are still quite sound
after being there for several years.

--
Chris Green
mark b

1. The height, how do you get 'up' high enough to lop the tops off?

I took down two monster leylandii , about 49ft as best that I could measure.

Use a laddder with a board tied across the top, say 3ft by 6" or whatever
you can find. Then just lean it into the tree. With a bit of jiggling it
works a treat. Use a bow saw to take out side branches to reduce
weight/volume. May need a smaller saw to start with to make access for bow
saw. Use ropes to restrict fall of any heavy branches so that they don't
swing into your ladder.

mark b

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Apr 2005 08:15:48 GMT, wrote:

Thus all we needed to
do was rope the trees to ensire they fell the way we wanted

This is very difficult to do. There's a significant risk of them
"kicking". Instead of your rope pulling them to the left, the base

Which is why (as I said in another post) I do the 'proper' cut a notch
one side and then above the notch from the other side. The rope was
just to assist a little in falling the right way, the 'hinge' does
most of the work.

goes out to the right instead. This is especially the case for skinny
trees like Leylandii being cut halfway up.

As I said there was no way I was going to try and cut it half way up,
all of ours cut at (or near) the bottom have fallen pretty well as
expected with the bottom staying attached by the 'hinge' until it hit
the ground. The worst miss we had just wobbled an unused television
aerial slightly as it went a few degrees away from exactly where it
was intended to drop.

Using a chainsaw while half way up a tree is a *very* skilled/dangerous
occupation

It's just not possible for mere mortals. Doing it safely needs a
top-handle saw, and you're not even allowed to buy / hire a top-handle
unless you have a current ticket.

Oh yes, I'd fogotten that bit of it.

Actually I remember now that we did do some trimming of the first few
Leylandii that we felled from a scaffold tower but that was only
trimming. I always actually felled the tree by cutting at ground
level. It's not exactly easy to 'escape' from a scaffold tower if
something goes wrong.

--
Chris Green

The stump end often flips backwards if youre pulling it over with a
rope. Even the thinner branches can cause serious injury, stay out

the
way.

Surely if cut properly with a notch on the falling side about 1/3 of
the way through and then a cut on the other side about 2" above the
notch this should form a hinge as the tree falls.

yes, it does if you dont pull it over. If you pull it, it works
differently, and the trunk can flip back a fair way, and with huge
force. Pulling them down is good for situations when you cant get
quickly away from the cut: with cut and fall you've got to get away at
speed. I used the rope trick for trees growing out of the top of a
structure, so I couldnt get out the way easily.

All the one's we have felled I've done this way and mostly the rope
was just a bit of insurance to be sure the tree didn't go the wrong
way, it wasn't used to actually pull the tree over.

When sawing the cut on the other side above the notch it's very
obvious when the tree is about to fall and you have ample time to get
out of the way. This is the way it's described in all the

information
I've read about it. The one big thing they all emphasise is that you
*must* make sure you can move quickly away from the tree once it
starts falling.

yes, works fine if youre able to get out quick.

Relying on pulling the tree over after you've moved away from it is
risky as it *might* decide to fall while you're cutting

thats not hard to avoid.

and, if you
haven't a well planned and easy escape route, you're in trouble.

if you dont stop cutting to test its remaining strength occasionally,
I agree!

NT

Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Thus all we needed to
do was rope the trees to ensire they fell the way we wanted

This is very difficult to do. There's a significant risk of them
"kicking". Instead of your rope pulling them to the left, the base
goes out to the right instead. This is especially the case for skinny
trees like Leylandii being cut halfway up.

Skinny?

You haven't seen ours :-)

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Rick wrote:

Stumps, - 2 choices hire a transit and pull them out, hope clutch is
good enought to get transit back to hire depot, or mini digger.

Use ancient landrover in low ratio 4WD.;-)

Disposal - bonfire.

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

The stump end often flips backwards if youre pulling it over with a
rope. Even the thinner branches can cause serious injury, stay out the
way.

Surely if cut properly with a notch on the falling side about 1/3 of
the way through and then a cut on the other side about 2" above the
notch this should form a hinge as the tree falls.

All the one's we have felled I've done this way and mostly the rope
was just a bit of insurance to be sure the tree didn't go the wrong
way, it wasn't used to actually pull the tree over.

IF teh hinge gives way completely the tree will rotate about its CG
-that flicks the stump up, backwards and then down.

That's why its easier to stop before the hnge breaks, and use a rope
from well clear.

If you are experienced, you know when to get out of teh eay (sidewqys)
If not, pull the ******* over.

When sawing the cut on the other side above the notch it's very
obvious when the tree is about to fall and you have ample time to get
out of the way. This is the way it's described in all the information
I've read about it. The one big thing they all emphasise is that you
*must* make sure you can move quickly away from the tree once it
starts falling.

It is to someone who has done it a few times. Not to an out and out newbie.

Relying on pulling the tree over after you've moved away from it is
risky as it *might* decide to fall while you're cutting and, if you
haven't a well planned and easy escape route, you're in trouble.

No, it won't. You simply try it again and agaimn, cutting a little more
- till it takes HUGE heave and JUST snaps.