Sample Calculations for Timber Beam

Old April 1st 05, 03:02 PM
TheScullster

Default Sample Calculations for Timber Beam

Hi all

Does anyone have any sample calculations or links for timber beams please?
This will be built into wall at each end - supported on internal leaf.
It will take the weight of ceiling and joists only, with whatever imposed
load is applicable for a loft space.
I am particularly interested in the timber grade selection. Not sure what
variety of wood is generally used and therefore allowable stresses etc

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Old April 1st 05, 03:07 PM
Peter Crosland

Building control will want to see proper calculations for which you will
probably need a structural engineer to do for you.

Peter Crosland

Old April 1st 05, 06:01 PM
Peter Scott

"TheScullster" phil-at-dropthespam.com wrote in message
Hi all

Does anyone have any sample calculations or links for timber beams please?
This will be built into wall at each end - supported on internal leaf.
It will take the weight of ceiling and joists only, with whatever imposed
load is applicable for a loft space.
I am particularly interested in the timber grade selection. Not sure what
variety of wood is generally used and therefore allowable stresses etc

You could try:
http://loadsoft.narod.ru/education_a...ineering/2inde
x.html

There are several beam programs here. Don't know enough about it to
comment on how good they are.

Another option is:
http://www.sda.co.uk/sbwdemo.htm

You could perhaps do the calcs with the non-printing demo to
see if it does what you want (or screenshots)

Peter Scott

Old April 1st 05, 06:01 PM
TheScullster

Thanks Peter

Yes I understand this, but having done a HNC in civil/structural engineering
I was going to do them myself.
If I get enough pointers or references and insist that BC checks them
carefully (ie earn their money) then I may just save myself a few squids and
excercise the little grey cells into the bargain.

Phil

Old April 1st 05, 06:36 PM
Peter Crosland

Fair comment Phil. Good luck with the project. I am sure there must be some
free/shareware software out there to ease the effort.

Peter Crosland

Old April 1st 05, 06:55 PM
Rick

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:36:52 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Fair comment Phil. Good luck with the project. I am sure there must be some
free/shareware software out there to ease the effort.

Peter Crosland

Somone here posted this when I needed it a while back ......

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/

Rick
Old April 2nd 05, 01:36 AM
The Natural Philosopher

TheScullster wrote:

Thanks Peter

Yes I understand this, but having done a HNC in civil/structural engineering
I was going to do them myself.
If I get enough pointers or references and insist that BC checks them
carefully (ie earn their money) then I may just save myself a few squids and
excercise the little grey cells into the bargain.

Phil

The only thimng they worry about is acceptable deflection, and there are
tables of spans/weights/sizes somewhere about that are 'to spec' fo the
sort of cardboard-on-steroids that is called structural timber at the BM's.

actual breaking strain is never an issue - its well over the size where
the thing has sagged unacceptably.

Since the cost of beams is way below the price of a chippie to install
them, things tend to be remarkably over-engineered anyway.
Old April 2nd 05, 05:22 AM
John Rumm

Rick wrote:

Somone here posted this when I needed it a while back ......

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/

I would avoid that one - its answers seem to be at least a factor of 2
out on the beams I have tried with it.

I would recommend Superbeam (demo here http://www.sda.co.uk/sbw.htm) on
the grounds that it is very good, and also seems to be the program used
by many BCOs anyway so you will be giving them stuff in a familiar format)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 2nd 05, 05:39 AM
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The only thimng they worry about is acceptable deflection, and there are
tables of spans/weights/sizes somewhere about that are 'to spec' fo the
sort of cardboard-on-steroids that is called structural timber at the BM's.

The usual guide is:

max deflection = 0.003 * Length

(IIRC there is a cutoff limit of 14mm max deflection as well)

I find this book is stuffed full of handy data that can often give you a
clue as to an appropriate starting point:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ternodeltdcomp

--
Cheers,

John.