Peter Hemmings

Default Sewer Vent - Building Regs Requirement

Hi,

I moved into a house with a side extension garage which has a flat roof
on top of about 6 feet of tiles set at 45 degrees. The original
flue outlet from the side of the house has been cut just below the flat
roof and diverted through a vent in the tiles.
The roof space is a bit cluttered with the pipe and I thought I would fit
a vent valve and remove the pipe across the underside of my roof.
I was told some time ago that I could only do this if there was a
"free vent" elsewhere on the property.
Could someone confirm this is so and if so why is it necessary?

Thanks
Set Square

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Hi,

I moved into a house with a side extension garage which has a flat
roof on top of about 6 feet of tiles set at 45 degrees. The original
flue outlet from the side of the house has been cut just below the
flat roof and diverted through a vent in the tiles.
The roof space is a bit cluttered with the pipe and I thought I would
fit a vent valve and remove the pipe across the underside of my roof.
I was told some time ago that I could only do this if there was a
"free vent" elsewhere on the property.
Could someone confirm this is so and if so why is it necessary?

Thanks

I assume you don't really mean "flue", but soil stack.

The sort of valve that you can use to terminate the stack in the roofspace
is a one-way affair, which lets air *in* but not *out* - otherwise you'd get
nasty smells! You can only use these when there is another vent, which is
open to the atmosphere - within a certain distance (but not necessarily
within your property), to prevent pressure build up.

I'm sure others will quote chapter and verse. Otherwise, consult a Building
Inspector at your local council's Building Control department. They'll tell
you what you can and can't do.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Hugo Nebula

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:19:02 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Peter Hemmings randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

I moved into a house with a side extension garage which has a flat roof
on top of about 6 feet of tiles set at 45 degrees. The original
flue outlet from the side of the house has been cut just below the flat
roof and diverted through a vent in the tiles.
The roof space is a bit cluttered with the pipe and I thought I would fit
a vent valve and remove the pipe across the underside of my roof.

By 'flue', I presume you're not talking about a boiler or other
combustion appliance's flue but a vent pipe for a drain. If the
latter, then you can have it vented using an air-admittance valve
(a.k.a. a 'Durgo' valve), provided that your drainage is connected to
a vented sewer not a septic tank, and that all your neighbours haven't
done the same (see www.bbacerts.co.uk and do a search for the
certificate). If you're installing it in an unheated space, don't
throw away the polystyrene 'cap' that comes with it. It's not
packaging, it's needed to prevent the seals freezing and perishing.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is,"if no-one on the internet wants
Christian McArdle

Could someone confirm this is so and if so why is it necessary?

Presumably so that when the thing jams up for the nth time, the sewer will
still be able to vent.

Christian.

Lobster

Peter Hemmings wrote in message n.co.uk...
Hi,

I moved into a house with a side extension garage which has a flat roof
on top of about 6 feet of tiles set at 45 degrees. The original
flue outlet from the side of the house has been cut just below the flat
roof and diverted through a vent in the tiles.
The roof space is a bit cluttered with the pipe and I thought I would fit
a vent valve and remove the pipe across the underside of my roof.
I was told some time ago that I could only do this if there was a
"free vent" elsewhere on the property.
Could someone confirm this is so and if so why is it necessary?

Interestingly when I was doing a similar thing to you, one BCO said I
had to have a full soil stack up through the roof, and another one
(incidentally the one who is now giving me grief over windows etc!)
overruled him saying that it was fine because next door had one, and
that's how it was fitted.

Peter, have a google for a thread here entitled "Dergo valves ,
ventilation, and BCOs" which I started earlier this year - I got some
very helpful responses which explained the whole issue very clearly.
(And I also learned it's spelled "Durgo"!)

David

Peter Hemmings

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:34:13 -0700, Lobster wrote:

snip

Interestingly when I was doing a similar thing to you, one BCO said I had
to have a full soil stack up through the roof, and another one
(incidentally the one who is now giving me grief over windows etc!)
overruled him saying that it was fine because next door had one, and
that's how it was fitted.

Peter, have a google for a thread here entitled "Dergo valves ,
ventilation, and BCOs" which I started earlier this year - I got some very
helpful responses which explained the whole issue very clearly. (And I
also learned it's spelled "Durgo"!)

Thanks, I also learned a lot from the thread.

David

Query;Upvc DG and building regs tarquinlinbin UK diy 22 July 17th 04 04:20 PM
Building Regs blakey9000 UK diy 33 June 24th 04 05:25 PM
Part L Building Regs Tim Jenkins UK diy 14 June 2nd 04 02:18 PM
Building regs re new structures troubleinstore UK diy 14 May 27th 04 09:59 AM
Adherence to Building Regs... or not? Lobster UK diy 14 January 24th 04 10:15 AM