jamesleroy

Default pen mandrels

My pen mandrel came with 3 7mm bushings. My question is.......if I
want to make something that requires different size bushings will they
be included in that particular kit? or, will I need to purchase them
separately. In the event I need to buy them separately, I only need to
buy the variously sized bushings once......correct? because they are
reusable? I realize the various sized kits require different sized
bored holes and tube inserts therefore different bushings. but what
confuses me is why this 7mm #2 tapered mandrel came with these 3 7mm
bushings and no other sizes. OR, are these just spacers.
Do they sell bushing kits that include every bushing anyone would ever
need? appreciate the feedback Jim

Nova

jamesleroy wrote:

My remarks are interspersed below.

My pen mandrel came with 3 7mm bushings. My question is.......if I
want to make something that requires different size bushings will they
be included in that particular kit?

Not usually.

or, will I need to purchase them
separately.

Usually.

In the event I need to buy them separately, I only need to
buy the variously sized bushings once......correct? because they are
reusable?

The are reusable to a point. I find that no matter how careful I try to
be I usually end up burnishing the bushings while sanding. After a number
of times doing this the bushings end up undersized for a proper fit of the
hardware.

I realize the various sized kits require different sized
bored holes and tube inserts therefore different bushings. but what
confuses me is why this 7mm #2 tapered mandrel came with these 3 7mm
bushings and no other sizes.

The bushing's outside diameter are 7 mm for the slim line type pens. The
inside diameter matches the mandrels diameter

OR, are these just spacers.

See above.

Do they sell bushing kits that include every bushing anyone would ever
need?

Not that I've seen. Certain suppliers have kits that contain most of the
bushings for pens, but then there's the letter opener, magnifying glass,
perfume applicator, light pull... I find it best to purchase the bushings
as needed. I make a point of getting the bushings from the same supplier
where I bought the mandrel to make sure the bushings properly fit mandrel.

appreciate the feedback Jim

HTH

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

jamesleroy

Thanks Jack I got it now. appreciate your patients

L. Peter Stacey

Of course you can also make your own spacer/bushing now that you have a
lathe.
All that is needed is to purchase, get a piece of scrap steel, a bolt or a
piece of mild steel rod or aluminium of the largest size bush you are likely
to use.
Cut the pieces to slightly over length, drill a hole in the centre of each
piece to suit the mandrel shaft you have. Now either place them on the
mandrel or a bolt (1/4"?) in a chuck and reduce the outside diameter to suit
the size of pen etc. you want to make.
Mild Steel turned at a slow speed (experiment) will scrape quite easily
using a piece of HS tool steel or even a woodturning scraper. It won't do
much damage, just blunts much quicker than scraping wood :-)
All that now needs to be done is to tidy up the ends and make the length of
the bush suit your mandrel.
Have done this type of work numerus times and even faced up new faceplates
that I have made using a piece of plate welded to a nut to suit my
mainshaft.
Cheers from 'Down Under'
--
********************************
,-._|\ Peter Stacey

"jamesleroy" wrote in message
oups.com...
My pen mandrel came with 3 7mm bushings. My question is.......if I
want to make something that requires different size bushings will they
be included in that particular kit? or, will I need to purchase them
separately.

SNIP
OR, are these just spacers.
Do they sell bushing kits that include every bushing anyone would ever
need? appreciate the feedback Jim

Ken Moon

"jamesleroy" wrote in message
oups.com...
My pen mandrel came with 3 7mm bushings. My question is.......if I
want to make something that requires different size bushings will they
be included in that particular kit? or, will I need to purchase them
separately. In the event I need to buy them separately, I only need to
buy the variously sized bushings once......correct? because they are
reusable? I realize the various sized kits require different sized
bored holes and tube inserts therefore different bushings. but what
confuses me is why this 7mm #2 tapered mandrel came with these 3 7mm
bushings and no other sizes. OR, are these just spacers.
Do they sell bushing kits that include every bushing anyone would ever
need? appreciate the feedback Jim

======================
Jim,
You'll need a different size bushing for each size project you do; 7 mm is
the most commonly used size. The catalog you order from should give you the
correct size for the individual style pens, etc., that you turn. The
bushings are reusable -- for a while. They'll wear down as you sand or
misplace the cuting tool (nobody's perfect! :-) ). The 3 are for doing both
pieces at the same time; one on each end plus one in the center (some
mandrels aren't long enough to do this).

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX