Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My favorite pastime ...

..... by a long shot, is NOT sanding! Only task I dislike worse in this
business is staining/finishing.

Today ... six straight hours of sanding, through three grits, a kitchen
full of dovetailed, 3/4" maple drawers and not a spec of sanding dust
in the air, on tee-shirt, jeans, bare arms, glasses, hat, or better yet,
lungs.

AAMOF, had to turn the vacuum down on the dust extractor to keep the
sanders from sticking to the sides of the drawers.

Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when
it comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

Eatcherheartout C-less ...

And Thanks, Leon!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 6:46*pm, Swingman wrote:
.... by a long shot, is NOT sanding! Only task I dislike worse in this
business is staining/finishing.

Today ... six straight hours of sanding, through three grits, a kitchen
full of *dovetailed, 3/4" maple drawers and not a spec of sanding dust
in the air, on tee-shirt, jeans, bare arms, glasses, hat, or better yet,
lungs.

AAMOF, had to turn the vacuum down on the dust extractor to keep the
sanders from sticking to the sides of the drawers.

Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when
it comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

Eatcherheartout C-less ...

And Thanks, Leon!

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Yea... what HE said, C-Less!!!
..
..
..
(don't even TRY to think what chore that would have been without
Festool's dust control... you could use the boogers to fill nail-
holes..)
Posted to rec.woodworking

.. you could use the boogers to fill nail-
holes..)-

But they stain okay, don't they?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:46:19 -0600, Swingman wrote:

.... by a long shot, is NOT sanding! Only task I dislike worse in this
business is staining/finishing.

Today ... six straight hours of sanding, through three grits, a kitchen
full of dovetailed, 3/4" maple drawers and not a spec of sanding dust
in the air, on tee-shirt, jeans, bare arms, glasses, hat, or better yet,
lungs.

Sounds comfy.

AAMOF, had to turn the vacuum down on the dust extractor to keep the
sanders from sticking to the sides of the drawers.

Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when
it comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

I can imagine. But how much better does it work than another
off-the-shelf RAS with a shop vac or DC connection?

Eatcherheartout C-less ...

Sounds cool, but ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED NINETY EIGHT DOLLARS cool?
That's what one festering sandah and suckah combo cost at Amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/4wk73th

Oh, this one's only about NINE HUNDRED BUCKS. thud
http://tinyurl.com/4qwowsu

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:43:24 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jan 28, 6:46*pm, Swingman wrote:
.... by a long shot, is NOT sanding! Only task I dislike worse in this
business is staining/finishing.

Today ... six straight hours of sanding, through three grits, a kitchen
full of *dovetailed, 3/4" maple drawers and not a spec of sanding dust
in the air, on tee-shirt, jeans, bare arms, glasses, hat, or better yet,
lungs.

AAMOF, had to turn the vacuum down on the dust extractor to keep the
sanders from sticking to the sides of the drawers.

Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when
it comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

Eatcherheartout C-less ...

Yea... what HE said, C-Less!!!

See reply.

(don't even TRY to think what chore that would have been without
Festool's dust control... you could use the boogers to fill nail-
holes..)

Hell, I have respirators for that. My pristine cilia know not what
dust is. I drank enough brake dust as a mechanic for one lifetime.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when
it comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

I can imagine. But how much better does it work than another
off-the-shelf RAS with a shop vac or DC connection?

Put it another way. For the present, I do most of my woodworking on a work
bench in my living room. I'm about to add the Festool OF1400EQ router to the
other Festool products I own which includes a Festool CT22 dust collector.
I'll be able to rout wood while spreading minimal dust in the immediate
location and nothing throughout the rest of the apartment. Would you feel
confident doing that with another off the shelf RAS and dust collector?

Such is the dust capabilities of most Festool power tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

In my world it's good sex, good scotch, and good food.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
In my world it's good sex, good scotch, and good food.

Much as I hate to admit it, my world apparently revolves in the opposite
direction. I eat too much good food, consume an average quality type of
alcohol and get too little good sex.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
Subject

In my world it's good sex, good scotch, and good food.

At your age, in the immortal words of Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when it
comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

One of the instructors at the College of the Redwoods woodworking campus
told me a couple of years back that maybe the best woodworking purchase he
ever made was a Festool dust extractor. I get by with other means out in
the garage (and old shop vac with a Dust Deputy in front of it) but if I had
to do a bunch of sanding in the house I think I could justify one of those
babies. Hmmmm, maybe it's time to redo the window trim in the office.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Well consider a hard maple drawer that is about 6" tall with protruding end
grain pins. Consider that it takes the Festool Rotex sander about 3~4
seconds to make that joint as smooth as a baby's butt. How much better Does
it work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
.... by a long shot, is NOT sanding! Only task I dislike worse in this
business is staining/finishing.

Today ... six straight hours of sanding, through three grits, a kitchen
full of dovetailed, 3/4" maple drawers and not a spec of sanding dust in
the air, on tee-shirt, jeans, bare arms, glasses, hat, or better yet,
lungs.

AAMOF, had to turn the vacuum down on the dust extractor to keep the
sanders from sticking to the sides of the drawers.

Say what you will about it, but you absolutely gotta love Festool when it
comes to stuff like that ... and you really can't appreciate it until
you've experienced it in a like situation.

Eatcherheartout C-less ...

And Thanks, Leon!

;~) Sanding is not so bad now. HUH?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:06:12 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .

@ what grit, 32?

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that
we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

100 grit is what he was using, I used 120.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You must cut -damned- accurate dovies if you can smooth one in 3
seconds with 120.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that
we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how
little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Well consider a hard maple drawer that is about 6" tall with protruding
end
grain pins. Consider that it takes the Festool Rotex sander about 3~4
seconds to make that joint as smooth as a baby's butt. How much better
Does
it work?

For a $500 sander it should do all that while I'm in bed asleep.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have an older (5 years) and a more recent Rotex 6" and I assure you,
that when the dual mode is set to "aggressive" with some 120 grit, or
even 180, the material removal rate is absolutely amazing.. and a
little tricky to the novice as there is practically no dust flying
around giving an indication of exactly HOW much material you're
removing....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
You must cut -damned- accurate dovies if you can smooth one in 3
seconds with 120.

I have an older (5 years) and a more recent Rotex 6" and I assure you,
that when the dual mode is set to "aggressive" with some 120 grit, or
even 180, the material removal rate is absolutely amazing.. and a

By dual mode, do they mean random vs orbital, where orbital would be
the aggressive mode, or are both modes random-orbital? What makes
them so aggressive, speed? What sets them apart? Do they use
standard holed sandpaper discs?

little tricky to the novice as there is practically no dust flying
around giving an indication of exactly HOW much material you're
removing....

Kinda like a belt sandah, eh?

This just in:
http://picswhileintoxicated.com/view...ast-night/5830

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that
we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how
little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
You must cut -damned- accurate dovies if you can smooth one in 3
seconds with 120.

I have an older (5 years) and a more recent Rotex 6" and I assure you,
that when the dual mode is set to "aggressive" with some 120 grit, or
even 180, the material removal rate is absolutely amazing.. *and a

By dual mode, do they mean random vs orbital, where orbital would be
the aggressive mode, or are both modes random-orbital? *What makes
them so aggressive, speed? *What sets them apart? *Do they use
standard holed sandpaper discs?

Both modes are random orbital, but one is a much larger pattern.
Their hole pattern is 9 hole. 8 outside, one in the middle that
supplies the air the other 8 suck up.
Pretty darn clever, that.

little tricky to the novice as there is practically no dust flying
around giving an indication of exactly HOW much material you're
removing....

Kinda like a belt sandah, eh?

Nope much less prone to gouging.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2011 1:36 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Both modes are random orbital, but one is a much larger pattern.
Their hole pattern is 9 hole. 8 outside, one in the middle that
supplies the air the other 8 suck up.
Pretty darn clever, that.

little tricky to the novice as there is practically no dust flying
around giving an indication of exactly HOW much material you're
removing....

Kinda like a belt sandah, eh?

Nope much less prone to gouging.

Have you seen the RO90, which is not yet on these shores, but orders are
currently being taken?

Hold onto your wallet.

Actually, I have three Festool sanders that serve every sanding need, so
I will probably pass on it.

Unless ... of course, I decide to sell the DTS400.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
Well consider a hard maple drawer that is about 6" tall with protruding
end
grain pins. Consider that it takes the Festool Rotex sander about 3~4
seconds to make that joint as smooth as a baby's butt. How much better
Does
it work?

For a $500 sander it should do all that while I'm in bed asleep.

Max

Well acutally the $400 sander is such a pleasure to use you don't want to
sleep instead of sand. Sanding is a pleasure with out dust problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

100 grit is what he was using, I used 120.

You must cut -damned- accurate dovies if you can smooth one in 3
seconds with 120.

??? Same accuracy as usual, my old 7335 PC which I used for 20 years and I
thought was agressive would take 15~20 seconds.

I watched a Festool rep with a Rotex. He started out with a rough cut maple
board, started out sanding, ended up polishing with a bonnet in about 5
minutes. The board shined.