Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

Default A square-ish plate

Actually, I cheated and made it square after it was turned. It's maple, 13-1/4" square x 3/32" thick.

And this is sort of a test post; for some reason, my ISP's news server doesn't show most of the pictures posted here - I only get to see the responses. Curious to see if this gets posted on news.epix.net.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Attached Thumbnails
A square-ish plate-bowl07-jpg  A square-ish plate-bowl06-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"TJ" wrote...

this is sort of a test post

Well, I can see this post fine - why can't I see most other pics posted here? It's cruel to be able to read how beautiful everyone thinks someone's project is, and not be able to see the project.

Can't find anything wrong in OE newsreader settings, within my limited understanding of such things. Can't $$ a better newsreader or news server at this time. Poo.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"TJ" wrote in
:

"TJ" wrote...

this is sort of a test post

Well, I can see this post fine - why can't I see most other pics
posted here? It's cruel to be able to read how beautiful everyone
thinks someone's project is, and not be able to see the project.

Can't find anything wrong in OE newsreader settings, within my limited
understanding of such things. Can't $$ a better newsreader or news
server at this time. Poo.

Xnews is free, and it should use viewers available on your system. Unless
epix flushes the binaries rapidly. I guess Verizon isn't that bad after
all.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

TJ wrote:
Well, I can see this post fine - why can't I see most other pics posted here?

It's not your software, it's your ISP. The cheapest fix is to get a
"free" account at Teranews - htp://free.teranews.com, which gives
you 50MB/day forever. They charge a one-time fee of $3.95 for this,
I suspect mostly as an age-verification and anti-liability measure.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"Han" wrote...
Xnews is free, and it should use viewers available on your system. Unless
epix flushes the binaries rapidly. I guess Verizon isn't that bad after
all.

OK, got it - I'll try it out, thanks!

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"JeffB" wrote...
Until you get your usenet troubles sorted out - here's a page that has
links to all the pictures from the last month (or week) of a.b.p.w -
http://www.delorie.com/wood/

excellent, thanks!

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"Clifford Heath" wrote...

It's not your software, it's your ISP. The cheapest fix is to get a
"free" account at Teranews - htp://free.teranews.com, which gives
you 50MB/day forever. They charge a one-time fee of $3.95 for this,
I suspect mostly as an age-verification and anti-liability measure.

I suspect you're right on both accounts. Wiki sez usenet is a PIA for ISPs - they generate a lot of complaints & customer service requests, and binaries eat up a lot of server space.

Also 3.95 is prolly close to the minimum fee for cc use, to verify a user is old enough to have plastic.

I'll check them out - thanks!

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Clifford Heath wrote:
TJ wrote:
Well, I can see this post fine - why can't I see most other pics
posted here?

It's not your software, it's your ISP.

That notwithstanding, it could still be argued that switching to
something other than OE would be advantageous in numerous ways. I
prefer Thunderbird myself:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Very easy to install and use, and it does just about everything "right"
as far as I'm concerned... (FWIW)

--
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner took a can of maroon spray paint on December 17, 2007 02:21 pm
and wrote the following:

Clifford Heath wrote:
TJ wrote:
Well, I can see this post fine - why can't I see most other pics
posted here?

It's not your software, it's your ISP.

That notwithstanding, it could still be argued that switching to
something other than OE would be advantageous in numerous ways. I
prefer Thunderbird myself:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Very easy to install and use, and it does just about everything "right"
as far as I'm concerned... (FWIW)

The biggest advantage to using a separate program for usenet, is that it
pretty much eliminates the possibility of sending what should be a email
into a newsgroup. There are many other advantages of course, kind of like
using a chisel as a screwdriver, it will work, there is just a better tool
for the job.

--
Lits Slut #9

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

TJ wrote:
Actually, I cheated and made it square after it was turned. It's
maple, 13-1/4" square x 3/32" thick.

Youzza - that's some nice feather figure in there. Wish I had a stack
of that sitting in my wood pile.

What did you finish it with - seems to have popped the grain really nicely!

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote

That notwithstanding, it could still be argued that switching to something
other than OE would be advantageous in numerous ways. I prefer
Thunderbird myself:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Very easy to install and use, and it does just about everything "right" as
far as I'm concerned... (FWIW)

I have to use OE for a lot of work type functions.

But I do a lot of web research and am finding that IE bogs down if there is
too many bookmarks (favorites) and OE chokes on too many saved email
messages. Their propritary format makes it next to impossible to move this
saved information to another location and format. Which means if you have
very much info served, both the email and browser functions become very
sluggish and unreliable.

Soooo....., I am thinking of setting some kind of alternative for the
research and storage functions. Do you think the Mozilla products would do
this sort of thing well?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"Kevin Miller" wrote...

What did you finish it with - seems to have popped the grain really nicely!

That's finished with a pale lemon aniline dye, then a wash of thinned asphaltum, and topped with wb lacquer.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lee Michaels took a can of maroon spray paint on December 17, 2007 02:47 pm
and wrote the following:

"Steve Turner" wrote

[...]

Thinderbird will automagically import your OE message store, address book,
etc.
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:47:06 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Steve Turner" wrote

[...]

I am strongly for "separation"..
Using Agent for here, Eudora for email and IE/Slimbrowser for browser..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

TJ wrote:

"Kevin Miller" wrote...

What did you finish it with - seems to have popped the grain really
nicely!

That's finished with a pale lemon aniline dye, then a wash of thinned
asphaltum, and topped with wb lacquer.

Is it walnut? I thought it was at first, but now I'm wondering if it's
something else that just looks like it due to the asphaltum.

....Kevin
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:46:59 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

Soooo....., I am thinking of setting some kind of alternative for the
research and storage functions. Do you think the Mozilla products would do
this sort of thing well?

I am strongly for "separation"..
Using Agent for here, Eudora for email and IE/Slimbrowser for browser..

I've been using Agent and Eudora for probably pushing 20 years now -
neither had a version number when I first started using them.
Unfortunately Eudora is no longer supported, so I'm playing with
Thunderbird, which is pretty pathetic as an e-mail client, although
better than the last time I looked at OE.

For the web I've recently converted to Firefox from some weird thing
that went away. I wish I'd made that switch long ago.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tim Douglass took a can of maroon spray paint on December 17, 2007 06:34 pm

wrote:

Soooo....., I am thinking of setting some kind of alternative for the
research and storage functions. Do you think the Mozilla products would
do this sort of thing well?

I am strongly for "separation"..
Using Agent for here, Eudora for email and IE/Slimbrowser for browser..

I've been using Agent and Eudora for probably pushing 20 years now -
neither had a version number when I first started using them.
Unfortunately Eudora is no longer supported, so I'm playing with
Thunderbird, which is pretty pathetic as an e-mail client, although
better than the last time I looked at OE.

For the web I've recently converted to Firefox from some weird thing
that went away. I wish I'd made that switch long ago.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

It get stranger, maybe, give it some time.

--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Tim Douglass wrote in
:

I've been using Agent and Eudora for probably pushing 20 years now -
neither had a version number when I first started using them.
Unfortunately Eudora is no longer supported,

There is still a Eudora newsgroup with a bunch of helpful people
news:comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows?. Version 6.2 and 7.1 work fine and can
be configured as paid (I believe).

I use Xnews for newsgroups (free, and does both binaries and text the way I
like it).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote
That notwithstanding, it could still be argued that switching to something
other than OE would be advantageous in numerous ways. I prefer
Thunderbird myself:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Very easy to install and use, and it does just about everything "right" as
far as I'm concerned... (FWIW)

I have to use OE for a lot of work type functions.

But I do a lot of web research and am finding that IE bogs down if there is
too many bookmarks (favorites) and OE chokes on too many saved email
messages. Their propritary format makes it next to impossible to move this
saved information to another location and format. Which means if you have
very much info served, both the email and browser functions become very
sluggish and unreliable.

I've taxed Firefox and Thunderbird pretty heavily in both the ways that
you mentioned and have never experienced any problems. Now whether my
definition of "taxed" is anything close to yours, I don't know...

Soooo....., I am thinking of setting some kind of alternative for the
research and storage functions. Do you think the Mozilla products would do
this sort of thing well?

I've used the Mozilla based browsers and newsreaders since the 2.x
release of Netscape (back in what, 1995?) and while I've had various
problems with them over the years I think that the current versions of
Firefox and Thunderbird are just wonderful (Firefox in particular).
Several others here seem to be quite partial to Eudora and perhaps for
good reason, but I've never used it so I can't really say. I do have a
good friend who is also a software engineer (more experienced than I)
and he quite likes Eudora. My email requirements are pretty basic, so I
don't really need anything too fancy, but I do think that Thunderbird
does a fine job of managing very large scale mailboxes and folders and
that's about the only direction where I *really* stretch the
capabilities of my email/newsreader client.

Hope this helps.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Soooo....., I am thinking of setting some kind of alternative for the
research and storage functions. Do you think the Mozilla products would do
this sort of thing well?

I am strongly for "separation"..
Using Agent for here, Eudora for email and IE/Slimbrowser for browser..

I've been using Agent and Eudora for probably pushing 20 years now -
neither had a version number when I first started using them.
Unfortunately Eudora is no longer supported, so I'm playing with
Thunderbird, which is pretty pathetic as an e-mail client, although
better than the last time I looked at OE.

Yep.. I think I started eudora on version 2 or something..
I didn't even know that it isn't supported, though.. haven't needed support
yet..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Soooo....., I am thinking of setting some kind of alternative for the
research and storage functions. Do you think the Mozilla products would
do this sort of thing well?

I am strongly for "separation"..
Using Agent for here, Eudora for email and IE/Slimbrowser for browser..

I've been using Agent and Eudora for probably pushing 20 years now -
neither had a version number when I first started using them.
Unfortunately Eudora is no longer supported, so I'm playing with
Thunderbird, which is pretty pathetic as an e-mail client, although
better than the last time I looked at OE.

For the web I've recently converted to Firefox from some weird thing
that went away. I wish I'd made that switch long ago.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

It get stranger, maybe, give it some time.

Yeah, I've been watching the whole Penelope thing. It seems to be
taking a very long time to get not very far.

My biggest problem is that with Qualcomm dropping Eudora I found that
Symantec has also dropped support for it in Norton Internet Security,
which means no virus scanning or spam scanning on my e-mail with the
new version of NIS, which you have to have for Vista.

I work my mail client pretty hard. I currently have about two dozen
e-mail addresses that I check from a single Eudora configuration using
a variety of different personalities. Eudora handles it very
gracefully so that don't even have to think about what address
something was sent to in order to have the reply go out correctly
with the appropriate return address and signature. As near as I can
tell Thunderbird (and Penelope) don't even come close.

So for now all my e-mail goes through an old machine with Win XP and
an older version of NIS so that I don't have to manually sort out the
300-500 spams a day.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tim Douglass wrote:
I work my mail client pretty hard. I currently have about two dozen
e-mail addresses that I check from a single Eudora configuration using
a variety of different personalities. Eudora handles it very
gracefully so that don't even have to think about what address
something was sent to in order to have the reply go out correctly
with the appropriate return address and signature. As near as I can
tell Thunderbird (and Penelope) don't even come close.

As I mentioned in a different leg of this thread I haven't used Eudora
so I don't know how well it handles this task, but I do the very same
thing with Thunderbird (not *quite* with two dozen addresses though) and
it handles the task rather nicely.

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

As I understand it, Eudora writes the "raw" email to disk (as an *.rcv
file), then "decodes" it into the real email you see. If succesful, the
rcv file is immediately deleted. (Which means that if Eudora has trouble
with emails, one of the things to do is hunt down any rccv files and delete
them, then go to the webinterface for your ISP,and make sure there is no
malformed/bad email).

In doing the above any respectable virus scanner should examine files
written to disk. So there is no real need for a special email scanner.

That being said, I use AVG free and it has an email scanner (both in and
out) that works.

--
Best regards
Han