Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

Default I can Breathe!

After years of choking on dust from my half-dozen saws, planers, jointers
and the like, I finally bit the bullet and bought an air filtration unit, a
Delta 50-875, and I cannot believe the difference! Truthfully, I thought
they were a bunch of hype and likely not worth the $$. I was wrong. I now
have a dust collector hood pick-up suspended about 20" above the lathe head
to compliment the filtration unit and, after turning a bowl out of dry oak,
the shop air is actually clear. Question is : how do I get rid of all the
dust that has collected on just about every surface in the shop over the
years? I've heard said to open all dust collector ports, turn the filtration
unit to high, then use the air compressor to blow on surfaces to get and
keep the dust airborne so the machines can suck it up. Anyone do this? How'd
it work?

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Tom

Don't laugh, but it works, (not in the house, basement)

Tom I open up the doors, grab my leaf blower and blow it out the door,
works best if there is a good breeze to help move the air out of the
shop.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Tom Storey wrote:
After years of choking on dust from my half-dozen saws, planers, jointers
and the like, I finally bit the bullet and bought an air filtration unit, a
Delta 50-875, and I cannot believe the difference! Truthfully, I thought
they were a bunch of hype and likely not worth the $$. I was wrong. I now
have a dust collector hood pick-up suspended about 20" above the lathe head
to compliment the filtration unit and, after turning a bowl out of dry oak,
the shop air is actually clear. Question is : how do I get rid of all the
dust that has collected on just about every surface in the shop over the
years? I've heard said to open all dust collector ports, turn the filtration
unit to high, then use the air compressor to blow on surfaces to get and
keep the dust airborne so the machines can suck it up. Anyone do this? How'd
it work?

I do that maybe once a year. Should be more often. You need to clear all
the clutter up first though, but that is no bad thing either. Unless the
air filter is easily cleaned, if at all, I would suggest just using the
dust extractor. Put on a dust mask, blow clean all the surfaces, light
fittings etc and go away for an hour until the DC has cleared the air.

FWIW I get away with just a DC on the lathe. Much better to get it at
source than once it is in the air. When i built the shop I had a
receptacle put in the ceiling for a filter, but I have never really
found the need.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com