robo hippy

Default Lyptus wood

I was wondering if anyone else had done any projects with Lyptus wood.
I like the color, and the price. It seems to be oxidizing out fairly
nicely. When drilling, even with sharp bits, it tends to burn at higher
speeds. Some burning on the table saw. A card scraper leaves a
beautiful surface. The wood does seem to be very splintery. I also
noticed that when routing a profile on the edges, there was unexpected
end grain tearout. It finished and glued up nicely. Over all impression
was that although dense, the fiber wasn't too well connected to itself,
kind of like it grew too fast. It reminds me of the difference between
old growth and new growth wood. I am just curious if anyone else has
had much esperience with it.
robo hippy

Jason Quick

"robo hippy" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else had done any projects with Lyptus wood.

I haven't, but might if I could get hold of some...where you getting it?
Seems to be pretty hard to come by.

Jason

leonard

I used it for a while, its cheap works well.I like the color too.what else
do you want to know?

len

Hax Planx

Jason Quick says...

"robo hippy" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else had done any projects with Lyptus wood.

I haven't, but might if I could get hold of some...where you getting it?
Seems to be pretty hard to come by.

Jason

I've seen it at Woodcraft for about $4.50/bf. I liked the color too.
I'll try it some day.
robo hippy

I got mine through Cross Cut Hardwoods here in Eugene. The bigger
specialty hardwood places have it. I seem to remember googleing it and
coming up with a distributers list, and then finding it here locally.
Comes in 4/4, and 8/4 stock. I'd like some log chunks to turn, and
Wheyerhauser said,"Well, can you go down to Brazil?" I have turnde a
few spindles out of it, and it turns nicely.

What else do I want to know? I am suspicious of bio-engineered
products, and it didn't seem too weird to me. I am just curious as to
what others think about it. Price here at retail was about $4.00 bf.
robo hippy

leonard wrote:
I used it for a while, its cheap works well.I like the color too.what else
do you want to know?

How about stability and rot-resistance? Just wondering if it might
be suitable for boat trim or an outdoor glider, for example.

--

FF

AAvK

I have never used it in my "inexperience" but I think I have read that it is a
genetically engineered tree that is farmed, grown on plantations in south
America... just for the purpose of you using it. I saw it at a local builder
supply, nice and hard, great color too.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Ken

I just finished a large project with Lyptus.
Other then a very highly resonated wood, it is great to work with, very
stable, takes stain well and sands great.
Great wood.

Ken

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering if anyone else had done any projects with Lyptus wood.
I like the color, and the price. It seems to be oxidizing out fairly
nicely. When drilling, even with sharp bits, it tends to burn at higher
speeds. Some burning on the table saw. A card scraper leaves a
beautiful surface. The wood does seem to be very splintery. I also
noticed that when routing a profile on the edges, there was unexpected
end grain tearout. It finished and glued up nicely. Over all impression
was that although dense, the fiber wasn't too well connected to itself,
kind of like it grew too fast. It reminds me of the difference between
old growth and new growth wood. I am just curious if anyone else has
had much esperience with it.
robo hippy

Never Enough Money

AAvk said: I just finished a large project with Lyptus. Other than a
very highly resonated wood, ..."

What does "resonated" mean?

Larry Jaques

On 12 Jun 2005 08:54:50 -0700, the inscrutable "Never Enough Money"
spake:

AAvk said: I just finished a large project with Lyptus. Other than a
very highly resonated wood, ..."

What does "resonated" mean?

Unless he was referring to a nice tone it had when he hammered it,
I'm sure he meant "resinous" or "resinated" instead of the implied
"resonant" wood, as used by musical instrument builders.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
AAvK

AAvk said: I just finished a large project with Lyptus. Other than a
very highly resonated wood, ..."

What does "resonated" mean?

Naw, that was Ken, not me.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Never Enough Money

Hmmm. I have some lyptus and there's hardly any resin or resonance.

robo hippy

I think he ment 'resin'. This would explain the tendency of it to burn
while cutting and drilling. It isn't like teak, or cocobolo in that it
causes problems with glue up or finishing, more like cherry.
robo hippy