Christopher Tidy

Default What is HQS steel?

Hi all,

I've bought the odd die from www.tapdie.com recently. These are BSPP
dies which I've used on brass tubing. They seem okay for brass. Now I'm
thinking about buying a BSW set, which will get used on steel. Their
dies are listed as being "HQS" rather than HSS. This makes me a bit
suspicious, but they might be fine. The company seems to have a
reputation and claims HQS is a better alternative to HSS. Is HQS a
recognised type of steel or is it junk? The dies I bought were marked
"Totem" if this is any clue.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Walter Craig

Hello Chris,
Not shure what HQS means it may indicate quenching in a gas
such as hydrogen.
Totem brand is regarded as a high quality product. Its been in
existance for a very long time.
A lot depends on how the taps/dies are used, they are one of the
most abused items in the home w/shop.
Regards Cutty.

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've bought the odd die from www.tapdie.com recently. These are BSPP
dies which I've used on brass tubing. They seem okay for brass. Now I'm
thinking about buying a BSW set, which will get used on steel. Their
dies are listed as being "HQS" rather than HSS. This makes me a bit
suspicious, but they might be fine. The company seems to have a
reputation and claims HQS is a better alternative to HSS. Is HQS a
recognised type of steel or is it junk? The dies I bought were marked
"Totem" if this is any clue.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Walter Craig wrote:
Hello Chris,
Not shure what HQS means it may indicate quenching in a gas
such as hydrogen.
Totem brand is regarded as a high quality product. Its been in
existance for a very long time.
A lot depends on how the taps/dies are used, they are one of the
most abused items in the home w/shop.
Regards Cutty.

Thanks Walter. I'll probably go ahead and purchase a set of Totem dies
as the price is good. And use the right size drill, lubricate them and
keep them in the case so they last!

Chris