Bullet trap plans

Old April 1st 05, 05:04 PM
Tom Gardner

Default Bullet trap plans

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

Old April 1st 05, 05:14 PM
Thomas Kendrick

The Google search should be for "shooting range equipment".
The designs that I have seen are either a tilted plate, leading edge
toward the shooter OR a snail-shell design where the bullet spirals
down, expending energy, into a catch box. Sand-trap at the bottom to
avoid splattering.

Old April 1st 05, 06:59 PM
Gunner

wrote:

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

Tom, Id use at minimum, 1/2" plate placed at least on a 45' angle.
And make it as freaking big as you can. Seriously.
36"x36" or larger.

http://www.22ammo.com/bullettrap.html

And the front has to have at least a 6" high lip, even when filled
with 4" of sand..6" above sand level

http://www.shootingrangesintl.com/traps.htm
http://aec.army.mil/usaec/technology/rangexxi03a.html
http://www.caswellintl.com/traps.html

My personal preference is for the old rams horn helical bullet traps
most highschools had in their basement ranges.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Old April 1st 05, 07:02 PM
Gunner

wrote:

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

http://www.patentstorm.us/class/273/..._backstop.html

Toss the ammo in the trash can.

Old April 1st 05, 07:43 PM
Tom Gardner

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

That's weird, I have piles of Wolf ammo (mostly 7.62x39), none of
which is corroded. The easiest way to dispose it would be to take it
to a police station. I think that our takes ammunition.

Do I smell an SKS? I have a nib Russian SKS that I haven't used yet in 10
years. Paid $99

Old April 1st 05, 07:44 PM
DeepDiver

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...

I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'?
.223?

Just a 1.5 square foot trap? To catch .44 and .223 rounds? I sure hope you
have something very large and very solid beyond where you're setting up this
tiny trap (like, perhaps, the side of a hill). Either that, or you own the
property for several miles downrange.

Old April 1st 05, 07:53 PM
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:43:17 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

That's weird, I have piles of Wolf ammo (mostly 7.62x39), none of
which is corroded. The easiest way to dispose it would be to take it
to a police station. I think that our takes ammunition.

Do I smell an SKS? I have a nib Russian SKS that I haven't used yet in 10
years. Paid $99

It's probably doubled in value, by the way. I can't think of anything
that'd chamber .223 that'd be worth risking with crudded up ammo.
7.62x39, sure.

Old April 1st 05, 07:58 PM
Tom Gardner

Ok, tell me!

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:43:17 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8
months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

That's weird, I have piles of Wolf ammo (mostly 7.62x39), none of
which is corroded. The easiest way to dispose it would be to take it
to a police station. I think that our takes ammunition.

Do I smell an SKS? I have a nib Russian SKS that I haven't used yet in
10
years. Paid $99

haha. is there any way you can smell more than one thing?

Old April 1st 05, 08:08 PM
Tom Gardner

I do have a whole vacant 15k' building on the other side of the wall behind
the trap. This wall is 2' thick old-style block then two more walls then a
hill for a total of 800' to the hill. I think I'll stick to .22s though.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:44:38 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
Just a 1.5 square foot trap? To catch .44 and .223 rounds? I sure hope
you
have something very large and very solid beyond where you're setting up
this
tiny trap (like, perhaps, the side of a hill). Either that, or you own
the
property for several miles downrange.

Even if he does own the property, a proper backstop is necessary.

I, also, was appalled at the suggestions if such tiny backstops.

At the very least, I would build a cinderblock wall behind such small
backstops. Maybe it will be good for stopping or slowing down only one
round, but that could save a life.

Old April 1st 05, 08:18 PM
Emmo

I shoot 10-meter air pistol in my livingroom with a clay trap in my
fireplace... It is a lot of fun and has greatly improved my scores...

I think I'll stick to .22s though.

Bullet trap for homebuilt basement firing range? Mike Patterson Metalworking 21 August 4th 04 01:29 AM
Bullets falling back to earth Dean Metalworking 171 December 20th 03 07:11 AM
Peg-gear-clock Plans - Woodworking Plans peg-gear-clock Woodturning 0 December 12th 03 12:10 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 01:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 04:57 AM