R.H.

Default What is it? LIV

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Fred R

302 mason's mortar-smoothing tool
303 modern version of the staff head in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'
304 wood fastener
305 grizzly bear salad fork (they actually use it to scratch their nuts
306 cheap ring made by dipping a soldered loop of chain in gold-colored
stuff
307 trammel point with fine length adjustment

--
Fred R
________________
DanG

302. I suspect another leather working / shoe maker's tool.

303. Dietzgen suggests surveyor's equipment.

304. I believe it is called a Skotch lock, related to the
corrugated fastener shown recently, for fastening wood together in
a fast and primitive manner.

305. No earthly idea, but may be fireplace related.

306. A man's wedding ring.

307. Trammel point, one of a pair. This one is the fine
adjustment end.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Erik

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I actually have a #303... Saw it at a tool swap meet a while back, and
was playing with it. Asked the owner what it was. Said he hadn't a clue,
but it was mine for 50 cents.

I suspect it's some sort of survey equipment. Know for sure it was a
good bit over 50 cents new.

Erik
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

302) Looks like a tool for cleaning out grooves -- perhaps grooves
in tongue-and-groove flooring, based on the size. Perhaps
something else. Looks a little too narrow for use in pointing
brickwork, but that may be it.

303) Hmm ... Deitzgen makes optics for microscopes, among other
things. Is there any optical path though the bottom sleeve?

Guesses a

1) Something designed to split an image from a microscope
into three paths, to allow each to be photographed
through a separate filter to make color separation
photographs.

2) Something to divert a laser beam (coming in through the
slot) into one of three paths. Or maybe even all three
at once to set up a complex set of beams which recombine
to allow comparison of phase after being acted on by
things in all three paths.

304) Another device for joining two pieces of wood -- end to end,
or edge to edge. Similar in function to the other from last
week.

305) It looks to me like part of a trap for a reasonably large and
powerful critter. It is missing the springs, and the jaws, at a
minimum.

Or -- it could be part of a wagon tongue.

306) It certainly looks like a ring for a fairly large finger.

307) This one I am sure of. It is a trammel point (used in pairs on
a yardstick (or a steel bar, in this case, I think) to make a
particularly long divider. The knurled knob at the upper left
is to clamp it to the yardstick, and the knurled knob near the
bottom center (both in the upper photo) is to make fine
adjustments in the position of the point.

The other one of the pair may be identical, or may have a holder
for a pencil or pen point, depending on the kind of measurement
or layout work being done. Pencil for marking wood, pen for
drafting, another steel point for layout in layout dye on metal
workpieces.

Now to see what the other two (so far) have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gerald Miller

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:33:44 GMT, Erik wrote:

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I actually have a #303... Saw it at a tool swap meet a while back, and
was playing with it. Asked the owner what it was. Said he hadn't a clue,
but it was mine for 50 cents.

I suspect it's some sort of survey equipment. Know for sure it was a
good bit over 50 cents new.

Erik

It is called a right angle prism and is used to find the point on a
line from which a perpendicular line may be run to another point, then
the true distance from the line to the point may be measured. this
information can be very important particularly in property surveys. In
use, a plumb-bob is suspended from the "handle" such that it is just
clear of the ground, the point is viewed through centre plain glass
section and lined up with markers on the line viewed through the upper
and lower penta-prisms, when the point is on line the plumb-bob is
lowered to mark the required point on the line.
Alternately, the prism is also used to project perpendicular lines
from points along a base line to enable accurate quantity measurement.
See:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/R7021E/r70...tic%20sq uare

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Ron DeBlock

302. Looks like a tool to help stretch fabric when upholstering furniture
or car interiors.

303. It's a Dietzgen No. 6869 thingy that you look through to see stuff
;-) (Seriously, I have no clue)

304. Some kind of fastener, like a big staple?

305. No clue.

306. A gold ring.

307. A trammel point, it clamps to a bar. Usually used in pairs for
measuring and marking material (wood, metal, whatever).
Gerald Miller

"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I actually have a #303... Saw it at a tool swap meet a while back, and
was playing with it. Asked the owner what it was. Said he hadn't a clue,
but it was mine for 50 cents.

I suspect it's some sort of survey equipment. Know for sure it was a
good bit over 50 cents new.

Erik

See
http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/tipstrik/tips22.htm
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Dave Balderstone

In article , DoN. Nichols
wrote:

2) Something to divert a laser beam (coming in through the
slot) into one of three paths. Or maybe even all three
at once to set up a complex set of beams which recombine
to allow comparison of phase after being acted on by
things in all three paths.

That rang a bell... Betcha it's used for making holograms.

djb

Jim Geib

299 Is a straight razor
"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

302 - Skiving tool?
303 - 90 degree prism used in surveying.
304 - Protection staple, You drive it into the edge of a stud to protect
the wire/pipe or whatever behind it from being nailed/screwed into.
305 - Looks like a hand forged sleigh runner tip.
306 - Ring made by silver soldering the links then plating it with gold.
307 - Trammel point.

Carl Joplin

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I actually have a #303... Saw it at a tool swap meet a while back, and
was playing with it. Asked the owner what it was. Said he hadn't a clue,
but it was mine for 50 cents.

Erik

It is called a right angle prism and is used to find the point on a
line from which a perpendicular line may be run to another point, then
the true distance from the line to the point may be measured. this
information can be very important particularly in property surveys.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I used one of these prisms for many years when staking out the corners of
test plots in farmer's fields. It's kind of hard otherwise to get the
corners square on hilly ground or when the crop rows are curved, like in
contour planting. Nothing near the accuracy of a transit, but fine for a few
inches in 100 feet. It sure speeded things up, especially when working
alone.
Carl Joplin

giovani

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

snip

Going backwards, but:

298. Does this open the clamps on squeezing or releasing the handles?
If the former, could it be something like a holder for test tubes or
something similar? ie it holds in the "relaxed" state.

giovani
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "R.H."
wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

303 Surveying gadget. You stare into it and you can effectively
"see sideways" at accurately 180° to each image. Then you put this
gadget on top of a staff and walk between two other staves. Looking
at the images of the staves and moving around until they line up, you
can place your new staff accurately on the line between the initial
two.

The old way involved two people, one moving the staff and the other
standing at one end of the line and hand-signalling them back and
forth. This way can be done single handed.
--
Smert' spamionam

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

302. "corking" tool
303. surveying instrument accessory
304. truss fastener
305. bear trap bracket
306. wedding band
307. part of adjustable trammel point

from RCM
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
The Tagge's

The others have been answered, I will guess that 305 is a runner or sled
attachment that you put on the wheel of a cart or wagon when it is muddy,
and or rocky. too heavy for snow
"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

302: Corner/edge scraper

303: Panoramic camera part for security system?

304: Low quality butt joiner

305: Part of a damper control

306: Thumb ring

307: Gom jabber

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Asplanchna

#300 - fire piston demo unit
http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html
https://www2.carolina.com/webapp/wcs...0775&langId=-1

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:46:23 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Asplanchna

Oops, already been identified ! Next time I'll read! ;-)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:49:33 GMT, Slow Asplanchna
#300 - fire piston demo unit
http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html
https://www2.carolina.com/webapp/wcs...0775&langId=-1

R.H.

Looks like four of the six have been answered correctly so far:

302. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Fred is right in saying this
is a mason's mortar smoothing tool. I added another photo showing that
it is inscribed:

H. Coldblatt
Tool Co.
Kansas City MO

Though I think that it's supposed to read Goldblatt, a manufacturer of
mansonry tools.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

303. Double Prism Optical Square

Thanks to Gerry for the definitive link on this one, he didn't reply to
all the groups so I'll repost the url:

http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/tipstrik/tips22.htm

304. Wood joiner, a number of replies had the right idea for this one,
apparently it goes by many names.

305. No correct answers yet, closest guesses so far are by the two
replies mentioning an old wagon. It actually does attach to a wheel,
but it's not for muddy or rocky terrain.

306. Well, it is a ring as several have mentioned, but there is
something about it that makes it different and a little more
interesting than most other rings. It only cost six dollars, so those
who guessed it was cheap were correct.

307. Quite a few properly identified this as one of a set of trammel
points.

------

I've had a little trouble posting the last couple weeks, my news server
has lost my original post for my last two threads. After I send it, it
shows up, but when I open it I get "Message is no longer available on
the server", then it no longers shows up at all on the newsgroup. This
has happened off and on for the past few months, I was wondering if
anyone might know what could cause this problem. I'm using Outlook, if
that tells you anything.

Rob

Gerald Clough

305 - Some sort of rough lock, as a skid to slow the wheel on steep grades?

--
Gerald Clough
"Nothing has any value, unless you know you can give it up."

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:46:23 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From RCM

305 is a skid shoe or wagon shoe for a wagon. It is used to retard the
movement of a wagon downhill to prevent it from overtaking the horses
mules or oxen. Used on one or both rear wheels.

R.H.

Yes, it's called a drag shoe or a ruggle. It's a type of brake to
prevent a heavily loaded wagon from overpowering the horses on a steep
downhill grade, makes the wagon slide down the hill instead of rolling.

Rob

R.H.

Correct

Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
oups.com...
Looks like four of the six have been answered correctly so far:

306. Well, it is a ring as several have mentioned, but there is
something about it that makes it different and a little more
interesting than most other rings. It only cost six dollars, so those
who guessed it was cheap were correct.

Is it made out of two twisted flat pieces of material that were then
attached to each other?

R.H.

I don't think that's how it was made, it's not how it was created that
makes it unusual. I bought it at a local puzzle shop, it's not a
puzzle ring but it does have a feature that some people find
intriguing.

Rob

Carl Ginnow

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Number 306 is an optical illusion ring that appears to grow and shrink
as you turn it in your hand.

-BMG
R.H.

Number 306 is an optical illusion ring that appears to grow and shrink
as you turn it in your hand.

This answer is correct. For those who haven't seen it: you can see in
the photo that the links on top look thinner than the ones on the
bottom, when you turn the ring it appears that they actually grow
larger right before your eyes, or get smaller if you turn it the
opposite way.

Rob

Jerry Martes

301 -- I dont know what it is but I'd use something like that to squeeze
the brass sleeves over flex hoses end fittings. The hammer and anvil arent
shown in this picture.

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

It took a little while to get a response from the owner of this one,
but here is what he said:

Squeezing the handles closes the clamps.
Actually it is spring loaded, but the spring holds it open.

In it's relaxed state, would it hold something?
Seems unlikely.

Greg

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

312: "The puzzle for this one is to determine how the top piece of this
stacked freestanding wood is able to entirely overhang the bottom piece"

A: Physics?

For each block draw a line upward from the upper right corner of the
side shown in the photo. If more than half of the mass of all the blocks
above lies to the left of the corner point, the stack will not topple.
This must be true for all blocks in the stack. If not, use glue ;-).

Greg