drandall

Default need heating element

Have an old theater popcorn popper and they no longer supply parts for
my model. I need the coil type with 3/8 " od and 3 foot long. about
2800 watts. The old one was 220 volts but I prefer 115 volts. Dryers
are too hot and 220. Any ideas would be appreciated. Dale
Robert Swinney

Check with an electrical parts outlet place, motor repair shop, etc. and ask
for an appropriate length of "nichrome" wire. They should be able to help
you determine the correct gauge and length for 2800 watts. You can coil the
wire over the insulators in the same form as original.

Bob Swinney
"drandall" wrote in message
news:1112705953.39b6cc3141f75d3b7d4fc555bcac20db@t eranews...
Have an old theater popcorn popper and they no longer supply parts for my
model. I need the coil type with 3/8 " od and 3 foot long. about 2800
watts. The old one was 220 volts but I prefer 115 volts. Dryers are too
hot and 220. Any ideas would be appreciated. Dale

David Billington

If you are referring to sheathed elements like those in electric ovens
then they are available from electrical/electronic suppliers in various
lengths and wattages. For instance www.rswww.com search for "Straight
Element Immersion Heaters". These can then be bent as per the original

drandall wrote:
Have an old theater popcorn popper and they no longer supply parts

for
my model. I need the coil type with 3/8 " od and 3 foot long. about

2800 watts. The old one was 220 volts but I prefer 115 volts.

Dryers
are too hot and 220. Any ideas would be appreciated. Dale

Hi Dale:

It may be obvious but 2800 watts at 115 volts means about 25 amps; a 30
amp circuit and 10 gauge wire (or is it 8 gauge? Go with 8 ga for a
margin of safety) will be necessary.

Just a thought.
Best regards -- P'rfesser

Jeff Wisnia

Robert Swinney wrote:
Check with an electrical parts outlet place, motor repair shop, etc. and ask
for an appropriate length of "nichrome" wire. They should be able to help
you determine the correct gauge and length for 2800 watts. You can coil the
wire over the insulators in the same form as original.

By "coil type" he may have meant that the nichrome wire was in the form
of a close wound coil spring (like the old "hotplates" used to have.)
before getting stretched slightly when fitted into or around the ceramic
insulator(s).

If that's the case then he'll need to use some sort of spring winding
technique.

Since the OP said he'd like to change from 220 volts to 115 volts, if he
keeps the "spring OD" the same, and the number of turns the same, he'll
have to use a wire diameter about 1.4 times the diameter of the present
wire to get about the same wattage from the same number of turns at the
lower voltage. If that doesn't leave enough room between the turns when
fitted into/onto the insulator(s) he'll have to go to a slightly thinner
wire with a few less turns.

That could get interesting...But it wouldn't take rocket science to
calculate what's needed for a given "spring OD".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Proctologically Violated©®

Good to know.

To the OP, mebbe a dishwasher element (perhaps 2) would work, easy to find
at scrap yards, more often 120V.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

drandall wrote:

Have an old theater popcorn popper and they no longer supply parts for my
model. I need the coil type with 3/8 " od and 3 foot long. about 2800
watts. The old one was 220 volts but I prefer 115 volts. Dryers are too
hot and 220. Any ideas would be appreciated. Dale

Richard J Kinch

drandall writes:

Have an old theater popcorn popper and they no longer supply parts for
my model. I need the coil type with 3/8 " od and 3 foot long. about
2800 watts. The old one was 220 volts but I prefer 115 volts. Dryers
are too hot and 220. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is easy to make yourself, so don't think you have to hunt around for a
ready-made replacement.

Mic the resistance wire diameter. Estimate the length, look up ohms/foot
for the wire diameter, confirm estimated resistance close to measurement
with an ohmmeter. Buy a spool of that size resistance wire from
http://www.mscdirect.com/ and wind your own coil around a dowel. Winding
coils in the typical wire gages is not difficult.
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:37:13 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Good to know.

To the OP, mebbe a dishwasher element (perhaps 2) would work, easy to find
at scrap yards, more often 120V.

The one I straightened out to use for bending plexi is only 800 W.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada